Plex Media Server Docker vs Phaze Plugin

Is there a benifit using the Docker version over the plugin? Does the Docker version always use the latest version of Plex? With the plugin from Phaze I have to wait for him to push an update for v6b14. Would the docker version just grab the latest official?

The reason I ask is I am having issues on all my clients with freezing during playback, but the HDDs are not showing errors and I don't see anything in the logs. I was tempted to try and migrate to docker to see if that would make a difference or if it would be more of a hassle than needed.

Is there a benifit using the Docker version over the plugin? Does the Docker version always use the latest version of Plex? With the plugin from Phaze I have to wait for him to push an update for v6b14. Would the docker version just grab the latest official?

The reason I ask is I am having issues on all my clients with freezing during playback, but the HDDs are not showing errors and I don't see anything in the logs. I was tempted to try and migrate to docker to see if that would make a difference or if it would be more of a hassle than needed.

Needo's docker version updates itself to the latest version whenever you stop and restart the container.

Beyond that, one huge plus of Docker's vs plugins is that regardless of what version of unRaid you are running the docker version will always run since it is not dependant upon the host OS at all.

Sounds good. One more thing, I saw the thread about converting from PhAze's plugin to needo's docker, is this the best way to do it (Dmtalon post)? It looked like there were some issues. Is there a proper way to move my library, or is it kind of a trial and error type thing at the moment? I dont want to risk damaging my library.

2 things,  use trakt,  backup watched media,  start new with docker and pull from trakt,  job done

Second to your point on stuttering,  I suspect this is less to do with plug in vs docker and more to do with cpu horsepower and the ability to transcode.  If your player can handle it itself (most can,  ie chromecast,  rpi),  then set those to max throughput and make sure you tell it not to transcode.  At least that's what I had as the issue and my plex was in a standalone docker container (not unRAID) as well as in a bare metal setup.  Once I stopped transcoding at the server life was great.

I converted from all phaze plugins to dockers. I really liked the way phaze had all the plugins setup for checking for newer versions of the programs, dependencies localized and caching the download of the app, but my Plex went weird due to preferences file getting bugged and caused all my plugins to get weird. I then fixed it by recreating preferences but I thought might as well use this time to move to docker so everything becomes localized in a container and will not affect the rest of the system or plugins. Needo plugin for Plex does get the latest version whenever you stop and restart it. You can have your plex let you know when a new version is available. Container is really nice because you can Start/Stop them whenever without having to reboot the server to get the same experience as well as they are no longer affected by Unraid version changes (unless unraid uses a new docker version and some change needs to be made).

• 10 months later...

It's been awhile since this thread was posted - is the general consensus that it's better to go with Plex in Docker than Plex as a plug-in? I'm moving from v5 on old hardware to v6 on new and want to consolidate my Plex server (currently a separate machine) onto it. I want to go with whatever works the best with resources - but being easy to use/maintain is a plus. Thanks!

It's been awhile since this thread was posted - is the general consensus that it's better to go with Plex in Docker than Plex as a plug-in? I'm moving from v5 on old hardware to v6 on new and want to consolidate my Plex server (currently a separate machine) onto it. I want to go with whatever works the best with resources - but being easy to use/maintain is a plus. Thanks!

That's the general consensus I think...

I'm an outlier and have been running PhAzE's plugin for over a year now with no problems. That's reason number 1 why I don't wish to switch. Reason number 2 is because it seems like a huge waste to enable Docker for just one application.

I remember a fairly short recent thread where docker vs plugin was discussed. Start reading here and continue reading onto the next page.

that thread makes a few statements that turns out to be a bit less then true currently.

There is still a thread in defect reports dealing with how bugged containers are crashing Docker which in turn is taking down the WebGui.

Not hating on docker, or suggest it shouldn't be used, just saying, the promise of docker and the reality of docker aren't always the same thing.