Toshiba 5TB $150 @amazon

I suspect the preference is simply based on the lower power requirements -- and the correspondingly lower temperatures the drives will run at.

I tend to agree ... that's why I only use WD Reds in my arrays.    But the counterpoint argument is that the extra speed of the 7200rpm units is worth a bit more heat ... especially given that with typical UnRAID usage most of the drives are spun down for most of the time anyway.    My view is simply that the slower drives are "fast enough" and I don't care ... so I prefer the lower speed, lower temp versions.    But it's clearly up to individual preference.

Fair enough. That argument makes sense, but like most things it's dependant on what you're after. There is a cost (whether it be $$, power, heat etc) for anything - in this case speed. I tend to agree that 5400rpm is fast enough as I have only WD Reds atm and am even going to shift to Greens (which have a lower cache) and I feel what I have is lightening!

That said, for the right price $/TB I'd buy these (wish I lived in US) BUT that would be the only variable as id overlook (cost) increase in power consumption and (benefit) speed.

Was just interested.

i am on the fence.  i was just about to buy a couple of these, but they are 7200 rpm; id prefer 5900 for my non-parity drives.

Can I ask what the driver is for this preference?

power drain and heat generation.  i only need one 6tb parity drive.  i currently have a 'full' array with 15 total drives.  my case holds 15 drives and I have 16 sata slots.  i have room for another card to bring me up to 24 but there's a significant expense involved in moving from a 16 to 24 drive array.  in my case, i will need the new sata card, a larger power supply (ok, maybe not - i have a 650w unit), and a larger case.  so i would need to throw away about 1/2 of my non-drive server investment. 

So i am thinking ahead - something I didnt do last year when I bought two $90 3TB 7200 rpm drive3s - these will last another 5 years or so.  i need to be replacing older drives with big, cool, slow 6tb drives and maintain my server the way it is. 

For the next few years, anyway :)