Needing to make changes to ownCloud & Nginx Images

In general users may need to know how to make permanent changes in their Nginx or Apache related dockers, and any other docker image provided here. In my case both the Nginx and ownCloud+Nginx Docker need some tweaking to nginx.conf. For one example ownCloud comes up with an error "Requested Entity Too Large" which does not allow a file of a particular size to upload via ownCloud. This may be easily resolved by making changes to Nginx server/proxy and/or to ownCloud itself. At present I know how to access the Docker image and fool around with files, but it seems those changes are not permanent unless I'm doing something incorrect at this stage. Still learning how to play with Docker Images but need some further direction in saving my changes. Thanks.

I've done this with the Apache reverse proxy docker.  I set up an account on GitHub and at docker.io.  Then fork the code and essentially alter the dockerfile

I'd never done anything like this before but finally managed to get it working, and it's worth pointing out that I had zero experience with Apache so it was all a big learning curve for me.

Once I'd modified the Apache docker for my first purpose which was to run a COPS Calibre Library I then made further changes to enable a manual non-docker install of Owncloud, I'd had some success with a lot of help in reverse proxying the Owncloud docker but in the end it was easier to manipulate things with a manual install.

Hope that helps.

In general users may need to know how to make permanent changes in their Nginx or Apache related dockers, and any other docker image provided here. In my case both the Nginx and ownCloud+Nginx Docker need some tweaking to nginx.conf. For one example ownCloud comes up with an error "Requested Entity Too Large" which does not allow a file of a particular size to upload via ownCloud. This may be easily resolved by making changes to Nginx server/proxy and/or to ownCloud itself. At present I know how to access the Docker image and fool around with files, but it seems those changes are not permanent unless I'm doing something incorrect at this stage. Still learning how to play with Docker Images but need some further direction in saving my changes. Thanks.

You can always fix it on GitHub.

^^^

If it's something i know what needs changing or i just want to tweak a container to my own taste, i'll fork the git repo and rebuild it with changes and put the result in my private docker repo.

^^^

If it's something i know what needs changing or i just want to tweak a container to my own taste, i'll fork the git repo and rebuild it with changes and put the result in my private docker repo.

But if you think your mods can be beneficial to other users, just submit to the container maintainer.

^^^

But if you think your mods can be beneficial to other users, just submit to the container maintainer.

Absolutely, and on a couple of occasions i have done so.

Thanks for the input. I'm slowly getting into Docker and hope to be able to make my own images in the near future. Docker seems to have piqued my interest more than I had imagined. Once I figure some of this out I will definitely forward any image changes to the maintainer. Time to hit the books I suppose. 

For something quick like changing a config file you don't need to rebuild the entire thing. You could also update the running container with the changes you want and then commit these changes to a new local image.

http://docs.docker.com/articles/basics/

This might not play nicely with the unraid workflow and doesn't give you the 'from scratch' docker build - but for something quick or that avoids having to set up accounts with remote registries it's worth looking at.

• 3 years later...

hello the problem i am having is as follows when i try to login with oauth2 enabled i get

the application desktop client is requesting access to your account . to authorize it please log in

hit enter

Switch users to continue

then i get

You are logged in as myaccount but the application requested access for user myaccount.

option to switch users and continue

the application desktop client is requesting access to your account . to authorize it please log in first

and the cycle just repeats

here is a part of my log file if this helps /oauth2/api/v1/token","message":"Login failed:

3 hours ago, Sinister said:

hello the problem i am having is as follows when i try to login with oauth2 enabled i get

the application desktop client is requesting access to your account . to authorize it please log in

hit enter

Switch users to continue

then i get

You are logged in as myaccount but the application requested access for user myaccount.

option to switch users and continue

the application desktop client is requesting access to your account . to authorize it please log in first

and the cycle just repeats

here is a part of my log file if this helps /oauth2/api/v1/token","message":"Login failed:

This is nothing to do with the original post, and you've posted this in at least three different places that I've seen so far, for heaven's sake man, stop spamming the forum with an Owncloud issue.

i do apologize for posting in multiple locations as i posted in the dockers author support forum a reply he gave me led me to believe that i was on my own a misunderstanding on my part as the dockers owner has a support thread here i thought that thread and this topic was the place to ask as the first post mentioned the exact problem i was having at the time i am having a new one and the author kindly referred me to where i could get help for my issue again apologies for multiple posts