Slow transfer speeds

wbee

Hi all.

My goal is to build a Nas that replace my 8year old Drobo.

I just setup a unRAID testcomputer and it worked so i bought a plus license. v6 Beta 14

But my transfer speeds is slow, around 10-20MB/s on a cache share where i use a ssd disk.

It is around the same on a data share if i try that.

I have a atom 330 mini itx (Intel D945GCLF2), 2 gig ram, ssd as cache, 2TB 2,5" harddisk as parity and 500gig 2.5" data disk in the unRAID setup.

I have also a pci sata card and right now the 2TB parity drive is connected to that. SSD and datadisk is on motherboard.

Asus ac66 router and the unRAID server connected directly to router.

But it feels like i do not get any speeds on the unRAID server.

if i run Black Magics speed test on my imac that is connected with cable, then it shows around 6-8MB/s

Am i missing something??

What can i do?

Picture:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B_LxjLam19RCMjBabzJ5eFZjUjQ/view?usp=sharing

looks like gigabit.

Yes i know that the Atom 330 is not the best today but in "stats" unRAID Cpu uses 20-40%.

If i get unRAID to work well i'm thinking of buying a supermicro X10SBA when the cash is prioritized for it.

That or the easy but not as flexible way (Synology Nas), but now i spent 69$ on unRAID and want to learn more about it.

root@Server:~# ethtool eth0

Settings for eth0:

Supported ports: [ TP MII ]

Supported link modes:  10baseT/Half 10baseT/Full

100baseT/Half 100baseT/Full

1000baseT/Half 1000baseT/Full

Supported pause frame use: No

Supports auto-negotiation: Yes

Advertised link modes:  10baseT/Half 10baseT/Full

Advertised pause frame use: Symmetric Receive-only

Advertised auto-negotiation: Yes

Link partner advertised link modes:  10baseT/Half 10baseT/Full

Link partner advertised pause frame use: Symmetric Receive-only

Link partner advertised auto-negotiation: Yes

Speed: 1000Mb/s

Duplex: Full

Port: MII

PHYAD: 0

Transceiver: internal

Auto-negotiation: on

Supports Wake-on: pumbg

Wake-on: g

Current message level: 0x00000033 (51)

drv probe ifdown ifup

Anything more i can test?

Or is it the hardware?

When i download from unRAID with Crome (file explorer in web gui, save target as) to my laptop (AC networkcard) i get.

Best speed from data disk -18MB/s

Best speed from cache,SSD - 22MB/s

Update, tried from Chrome and Imac and now suddenly I got 50-55MB/s from cache ssd and 45-50MB/s from data share. No idea why it suddenly got faster... The same results with Black Magic speed test app. Strange.. How about that for a Atom 330 ;-)...

But why is the cache and SSD not so much faster??

Here is a picture on the unRAID setup, anything wrong?

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B_LxjLam19RCdE55X1J2T0RRUHM/view?usp=sharing

A few thoughts ...

r.e. speeds FROM UnRAID to your laptop =>  You're doing this wirelessly, so it's likely that these are limited by the wireless connection.  Try using a wired connection and see what your speeds are.    Is the IMac also connected wirelessly?  If so, that simply tends to support that it's the connection speed and not the actual UnRAID transfer capabilities.

r.e. the Atom 330 =>  Yes, it's a data CPU, but it's got PLENTY of "horsepower" for a basic NAS and isn't likely to be the reason your speeds are so slow here.

r.e. a PCI SATA card =>  Clearly a bandwidth restricting card;  but should still be enough for one drive.    Since that's all you've got connected to it, it shouldn't be causing slowdowns to the level you're seeing.

r.e. your drive configuration => Both of your drives are slow laptop drives with relatively low areal density.  The 500GB unit only has 250GB/platter.  Nevertheless, I'd still expect to see writes better than what you're seeing.    If you write directly to the data drive (bypassing the cache) what kind of speeds do you get?    Test this using a large (2-3GB) file, as a group of small files will definitely be slower, and don't really test the actual array write speed.

r.e. your cache => FWIW I've seen a LOT of issues with OCZ SSDs, so no longer use them.  If, for example, this is an older SSD you've had for a while it may very well not be properly Trimmed, which can cause it to run very slow.

Bottom line:  First thing to do is eliminate any wireless connection and do all your testing with wired Cat-6 cables (or Cat-5).    I would also eliminate the cache drive from your shares to see what the native performance is for writes to the array and subsequent read speeds.    When testing read speeds, be sure your target system has a fast enough drive to support the incoming data stream (otherwise IT will be the bottleneck).

Thanks for some good answers. :)

My Imac is on cable so with that i got around 50Mb/s, and that is acceptable with the extra hardware i test unRAID with. Before i started this thread i had 6-8MB/s from imac with cable, do not know why but yesterday it got faster.

So also funny that you wrote that about old OCZ ssd without trim can be slow, because it is an old OCZ Agility 3, 60Gig.

I just thougt that it would be faster than 50-55MB/s as cache on unRAID system.

Now after i got to around 50MB/s for writing/reading to old 2.5" laptop harddisks on unRAID's data share i'm satisfied.

I will be preparing to migrate from Drobo and prepare to use unRAID for future protection of my data. Ofcourse not without another backup ;-).

I will also use 3.5" disks that i have, but i wanted to test unRAID with some extra disks and hardware i have to see if it would work out good. And it did.

Just need a better SSD if i will use cache.

Data transfer picture.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B_LxjLam19RCZE8yd3FtVEtmM0k/view?usp=sharing

Archived