Feedback on "Upgrading to UnRAID v6" wiki page

RobJ

Yeah, you're both correct.  What I was trying to do was solve 2 different problems, and it just introduces confusion.  I was trying to show which files are valid in v6.0.0, and also trying to show which of the previous files and folders to keep or delete.  There's considerable congruence between them, but also some conflict, a source of confusion.  What I should probably do is completely forget about what's correct for v6 (or at least completely separate that out), and just concentrate on what to do from an upgrader's standpoint, with their flash full of v4 and v5 files and folders.

I think I'll also add color coding, red for "delete", green for "safe to keep", and blue for "it's your choice".  Then I can add more help on each, especially to explain when it's their choice and why.

As to syslinux, I believe it's mentioned in passing in 2 places, but you're right, it needs its own section.  It's a really nice new feature but has had no hype at all.

A bit off-topic - I understand why there's no go editor as we don't want to encourage its use any more.  But if we had one, then we could also have a Stock button with it, that would rename the current go file ('go.bak'?), and save the stock version in its place.  It could be helpful for troubleshooting, an easy way to return it to stock; and it would make it easy for experimenters.  They could add something, test with it, then easily return to stock.

• 3 weeks later...

I've just added an entry in the Troubleshooting section about docker containers losing their configuration settings due to the configuration folder not being set to be cache only.  This seems to have come up a number of times recently in the forum so seemed worth adding?  You might want to check that you are happy with the wording I used.

It's good, needed.  I'm going to steal from it for the new related FAQ entry.  I did fix a typo, and while there messed with the formatting and headings.  You once commented on all the bullet points.  I rarely think of them as bullet points, I think of them as great info organizers, but I've learned I rarely think like normal people do, so I've learned I HAVE to listen to others advice.  Do you like the formatting better this way?

It's good, needed.  I'm going to steal from it for the new related FAQ entry.  I did fix a typo, and while there messed with the formatting and headings.  You once commented on all the bullet points.  I rarely think of them as bullet points, I think of them as great info organizers, but I've learned I rarely think like normal people do, so I've learned I HAVE to listen to others advice.  Do you like the formatting better this way?

Please feel free to format and/or reuse as required.

Regarding bullet points, I am not against them per-say but think they should be used to make points and to separate steps.  I try to avoid adding them to paragraphs that do not need them so that they stand out a bit more when used for organisation purposes.

• 9 months later...

I finally got around to buying a pro licence and upgrading to V6 a few weeks ago - this was really helpful thanks.

I'd suggest that you put in a note about disabling browser adblockers for the new web interface, that was the only thing I had trouble with. The shares page was blank when I upgraded and I thought something had gone wrong until I found other people with the same problem in the forums!

I finally got around to buying a pro licence and upgrading to V6 a few weeks ago - this was really helpful thanks.

I'd suggest that you put in a note about disabling browser adblockers for the new web interface, that was the only thing I had trouble with. The shares page was blank when I upgraded and I thought something had gone wrong until I found other people with the same problem in the forums!

Thank you for that!  I've updated the page as suggested.  I should have thought of it myself!

• 6 months later...

Is this wiki page:

https://lime-technology.com/wiki/index.php/Upgrading_to_UnRAID_v6

about upgrading to 6.0 or is it about upgrading to 6.current?

If it is for 6.current, then here are a few ideas:

Settings -> Docker

• Consider changing the image location from /mnt/cache/docker.img to /mnt/user/system/docker/docker.img and removing the warning for /mnt/user/

More Tips

• rather than edit the syslinux.cfg file manually, use the TipsAndTweaks plugin to set the CPU Scaling Governor

Plugins

• Recommend installing Fix Common Problems to proactively warn of issues
  • Unassigned Devices should link to dlandon's version
  • The preclear section is a little outdated, no need to install the original or faster preclear scripts manually, everything you need comes with the plugin.  Note: preclear is on the page twice
  • I don't think overbyrn's plugins are compatible with 6.2?
  • Is it time to move Powerdown and SNAP to the Obsolete section?
  • the ntfs-3g plugin hasn't been updated since March 2015, so it may be obsolete as well.

Other packages

• Might be time to remove the "or download it from..." sections and just have people use NerdPack

UnMenu

• There are several references to unMENU.  Am I wrong or is is the current advice in the forum to remove it unconditionally?  If so, might simplify things to recommend the same here.

Is this wiki page:

https://lime-technology.com/wiki/index.php/Upgrading_to_UnRAID_v6

about upgrading to 6.0 or is it about upgrading to 6.current?

If it is for 6.current, then here are a few ideas:

I can't tell you how much I appreciate the time you took to review the current page, and note items needing updating!  Thank you very much!

Settings -> Docker

• Consider changing the image location from /mnt/cache/docker.img to /mnt/user/system/docker/docker.img and removing the warning for /mnt/user/

I did add the new default path and removed the warning, but I really think the cache path is better.  I think it's great that Lime Technology have added a default path for new users, that works irregardless of any cache drive, but I don't know why any knowledgeable user would want to use a long path, less direct than the cache path.  The longer one uses extra processing every time it's used, both the extra folders in the path and the FUSE processing.  It may not be detectable on fast machines, but the inefficiency will always bother some of us old-timers!

More Tips

• rather than edit the syslinux.cfg file manually, use the TipsAndTweaks plugin to set the CPU Scaling Governor

Done.  Could probably be improved though.

Plugins

• Recommend installing Fix Common Problems to proactively warn of issues
  • Unassigned Devices should link to dlandon's version
  • The preclear section is a little outdated, no need to install the original or faster preclear scripts manually, everything you need comes with the plugin.  Note: preclear is on the page twice
  • I don't think overbyrn's plugins are compatible with 6.2?
  • Is it time to move Powerdown and SNAP to the Obsolete section?
  • the ntfs-3g plugin hasn't been updated since March 2015, so it may be obsolete as well.

Done!  Lots of changes and removals.  Really need to add more plugins, some day ...

Other packages

• Might be time to remove the "or download it from..." sections and just have people use NerdPack

Done.  Chopped most of it, and the old scripts section that followed.

UnMenu

• There are several references to unMENU.  Am I wrong or is is the current advice in the forum to remove it unconditionally?  If so, might simplify things to recommend the same here.

Added more recommendations about it, could possibly do more.

Let me know if you see more stuff!  I don't doubt that there is more to do, especially more plugins to add.

• 5 years later...