[REQUEST] - Calibre GUI Docker

I'd love to see a Calibre GUI docker like those sparklyballs has recently created for Libreoffice & Gimp.

Currently using my Windows desktop with my mnt/cache/books folder as a network share, which is not the recommended way to run Calibre (apparently doesn't play well with network shares - although at the moment seems to be working)

Would be great to access Calibre from anywhere on the LAN and make ebook management possible to be self-contained within the Unraid environment along with Ubooquity to publish the library (Although I personally use a similar program called - COPS with the Apache reverse proxy docker)

Thanks for listening.

I'd love to see a Calibre GUI docker like those sparklyballs has recently created for Libreoffice & Gimp.

Currently using my Windows desktop with my mnt/cache/books folder as a network share, which is not the recommended way to run Calibre (apparently doesn't play well with network shares - although at the moment seems to be working)

Would be great to access Calibre from anywhere on the LAN and make ebook management possible to be self-contained within the Unraid environment along with Ubooquity to publish the library (Although I personally use a similar program called - COPS with the Apache reverse proxy docker)

Thanks for listening.

take a look at this...

https://www.digitalocean.com/community/tutorials/how-to-create-a-calibre-ebook-server-on-ubuntu-14-04

might be able to do it headless and not have the hassle of a gui setup.

watching a movie right now, might a take at it later.

take a look at this...

https://www.digitalocean.com/community/tutorials/how-to-create-a-calibre-ebook-server-on-ubuntu-14-04

Cheers sparkly, seen this before.  I actually don't want a headless install. 

I only use the GUI for adding and sorting out metadata etc.  Bit like tinymediamanager by hurricanehernandez but for books.

COPS then uses the database file to serve up the eBook library and email directly to my kindle without Calibre running.

Works brilliantly and great for sharing my library with the wife and my dad.  Publish it on the internet with password protection using htaccess and all three of us can browse the shelves and email directly to our respective Kindles.

take a look at this...

Cheers sparkly, seen this before.  I actually don't want a headless install. 

I only use the GUI for adding and sorting out metadata etc.  Bit like tinymediamanager by hurricanehernandez but for books.

COPS then uses the database file to serve up the eBook library and email directly to my kindle without Calibre running.

Works brilliantly and great for sharing my library with the wife and my dad.  Publish it on the internet with password protection using htaccess and all three of us can browse the shelves and email directly to our respective Kindles.

you can edit metadata via a cli

http://manual.calibre-ebook.com/cli/ebook-meta.html

I've looked into it before, but my process is a fair bit complicated, not that I have OCD at all.

Sync with goodreads plugin.  Choose my cover, often edit the metadata to remove any unnecessary extras, choose my tags, etc etc

I think if it was simpler then I could manage with a CLI with practice but I can't see it being an easy thing at the moment.

On the plus side, my ebook library is beautiful!

Take a look in my beta repo.

at the moment you have to launch it from terminal.

it's in /home/ubuntu/calibre

i'm sure you can setup a shortcut on the desktop, you'll have to sort out database stuff, there is a volume /home/ubuntu/unraid for that kind of thing.

Hard at work on nights at the moment but will try and have a play over the next few days.  Sparklyballs I am most grateful to you for having a look at this.  A beer is owed...

i'm sure you can setup a shortcut on the desktop, you'll have to sort out database stuff, there is a volume /home/ubuntu/unraid for that kind of thing.

Hard at work on nights at the moment but will try and have a play over the next few days.  Sparklyballs I am most grateful to you for having a look at this.  A beer is owed...

Edit:  So with a spare 5 minutes at work, openvpn server at home just fired up this docker.  Seems to be working great, really really impressed and immensely grateful. 

Going to examine that dockerfile as I'd tried using your libre-office one as a base and installing calibre on it but always ended up with an error...  Interested to see how it's put together by a docker-master!

Well, I just found out about a calibre-server and assumed it would be the same as using the web interface of the gui (I had the gui installed in a vm before I switched to dockers and I remember calibre having a web interface option) also assuming the web interface of the gui would be similar to the gui. I'm not sure the second part is true or not, but I found out that the first part is not. Calibre-server is a very watered down version that only displays the books in your library and allows you to download onto your computer. No e-mail or add book functions built-in.

Anyway, because I like to assume too much, I went ahead and created a docker for the calibre-server before I even knew what it looked like, lol.

I don't think it will be useful for me, but it might be for someone else. I guess I'll look into sparklyballs' rdp based docker for the full gui.

Here's the docker: https://registry.hub.docker.com/u/aptalca/docker-calibre/

And here's my repo: https://github.com/aptalca/docker-templates

Installation:

1. Add the repo under the template repos in unraid gui docker tab

2. Then click on add container and select calibre-server under templates

3. Put in your library location and port

4. Profit (I didn't but someone else might)

Well, I just found out about a calibre-server and assumed it would be the same as using the web interface of the gui (I had the gui installed in a vm before I switched to dockers and I remember calibre having a web interface option) also assuming the web interface of the gui would be similar to the gui. I'm not sure the second part is true or not, but I found out that the first part is not. Calibre-server is a very watered down version that only displays the books in your library and allows you to download onto your computer. No e-mail or add book functions built-in.

Anyway, because I like to assume too much, I went ahead and created a docker for the calibre-server before I even knew what it looked like, lol.

I don't think it will be useful for me, but it might be for someone else. I guess I'll look into sparklyballs' rdp based docker for the full gui.

Here's the docker: https://registry.hub.docker.com/u/aptalca/docker-calibre/

And here's my repo: https://github.com/aptalca/docker-templates

Installation:

1. Add the repo under the template repos in unraid gui docker tab

2. Then click on add container and select calibre-server under templates

3. Put in your library location and port

4. Profit (I didn't but someone else might)

I've made the same assumptions as yourself.  Thanks for the input, I'm sure someone will want to run a Calibre server.

Seems to be working really well.  Installed chromium so I can browse and install plugins etc.  Sparklyballs you are the man,  if ever you're in South Staffordshire let me know and I'll buy you a pint or six!

Seems to be working really well.  Installed chromium so I can browse and install plugins etc.  Sparklyballs you are the man,  if ever you're in South Staffordshire let me know and I'll buy you a pint or six!

you here

tKl0Ao9.png

me here, but not native to the area, lol.

iLB8wod.png