unRAID Server Release 6.0-beta15-x86_64 Available

here we go, screenies AND a video.... lol.

attempts to get a VM up and running with the OVFM thingie.

hk9eKIJ.png

and the second settings screenie

fHAeViE.png

and a video (sorry no techno track again)

UPDATE

changed from Q35 to i440 (or whatever it was) and cpu to my haswell passthrough and it went to the shell prompt again, entered the shell commands again, to grub menu again, this time pressing enter to install got me to the ubuntu installation routine.

• Replies 506
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Update appears to have gone well, but after a reboot the array was stopped and I have a message of "Too many assigned devices or too many attachd devices. Please consider upgrading your registration key."

This machine is not licensed (trial only), and my configuration is 1 parity drive, 2 data drives, and another drive mounted outside of unraid.  Would this be expected moving from 14b to 15b?  I realize I am long overdue to purchase a license for this rig...

Yes. Trial is restricted to 3 devices as of beta 15. You can hot plug devices manually after array start, but after a reboot you will need to detach them before you can start the array again.

Thanks jonp.  First I umounted the hot plug drive via command line, and refreshed my browser (clearing cache) with no luck.  I was mounting it in the go file, so I removed those entries and rebooted.  Still no luck.  The array still is sitting with the invalid configuration message and won't let me start it up.  I'm going to poke around and look for something that might be incorrectly persisting across reboots that stands out, but maybe you can point me in a direction?

Update appears to have gone well, but after a reboot the array was stopped and I have a message of "Too many assigned devices or too many attachd devices. Please consider upgrading your registration key."

This machine is not licensed (trial only), and my configuration is 1 parity drive, 2 data drives, and another drive mounted outside of unraid.  Would this be expected moving from 14b to 15b?  I realize I am long overdue to purchase a license for this rig...

Yes. Trial is restricted to 3 devices as of beta 15. You can hot plug devices manually after array start, but after a reboot you will need to detach them before you can start the array again.

Thanks jonp.  First I umounted the hot plug drive via command line, and refreshed my browser (clearing cache) with no luck.  I was mounting it in the go file, so I removed those entries and rebooted.  Still no luck.  The array still is sitting with the invalid configuration message and won't let me start it up.  I'm going to poke around and look for something that might be incorrectly persisting across reboots that stands out, but maybe you can point me in a direction?

You have to physically detach the device.  Not unmount it, but physically unplug the device from the system.  Once the array is started, you can hotplug the device back and use it.

You have to physically detach the device.  Not unmount it, but physically unplug the device from the system.  Once the array is started, you can hotplug the device back and use it.

Okay - got it.  Thanks for the quick clarification.

here we go, screenies AND a video.... lol.

attempts to get a VM up and running with the OVFM thingie.

hk9eKIJ.png

and the second settings screenie

fHAeViE.png

and a video (sorry no techno track again)

UPDATE

changed from Q35 to i440 (or whatever it was) and cpu to my haswell passthrough and it went to the shell prompt again, entered the shell commands again, to grub menu again, this time pressing enter to install got me to the ubuntu installation routine.

Ok, where you specify the vdisk, instead of going through /mnt/user, go directly to the disk that has the vdisk.  Example, if your VMS-Dockers share is a cache only share, change the part in the vdisk location field from /mnt/user to /mnt/cache, but leave everything else the same.  See if that changes things for you...

I did a parity check before upgrading last night to current version and the dashboard says:

Last checked on Friday, 04/17/2015, 11:35 PM (today), finding 0 errors.

That was last night - today is 4/18/15

Myk

Did it just complete today?

Also, try without Q35, but rather, with i440fx.

my update edit might have got lost in the mix,

switching to i440fx was the key for me to getting the install going.

Actually you probably found a bug.  With non-OVMF builds, Q35 is the default we use for Linux-based guests, but for OVMF, Q35 support may not work right.  We still let you override the setting manually, but you'll notice if you create a new VM, as soon as you toggle from Windows to Linux, the default action we take is to toggle the machine type.

Actually you probably found a bug.  With non-OVMF builds, Q35 is the default we use for Linux-based guests, but for OVMF, Q35 support may not work right.  We still let you override the setting manually, but you'll notice if you create a new VM, as soon as you toggle from Windows to Linux, the default action we take is to toggle the machine type.

i went with Q35 because a) it was the default and b) the mouseover said for modern machines with PCIE which is me.

i went with Q35 because a) it was the default and b) the mouseover said for modern machines with PCIE which is me.

Yeah, we will be getting rid of the mouseovers, that is a bit misleading.  The reality is that for AMD-based graphics on Linux guests, Q35 allows for a safe bus reset on the GPU which prevents a host crash that is pretty serious.  With OVMF, however, this issue will likely not be present as OVMF / UEFI don't need to perform VGA arbitration because VGA doesn't exist with UEFI.  With Windows-based guests, we have yet to see a real difference between i440fx and Q35 from a usability or performance perspective, but some GPUs may work better with Q35 if i440fx doesn't work.  It's somewhat of a crap shoot as there are so many factors that determine the success of GPU passthrough when working with a legacy VGA BIOS.

also in the last version of VM manager after install and reboot it always went back to the installation routine from the iso again, none of that nonsense now.

got the login prompt straightaway.

So your initial impressions with OVMF are good then?  I realize you have more testing yet, but first impressions are important.

also in the last version of VM manager after install and reboot it always went back to the installation routine from the iso again, none of that nonsense now.

So your initial impressions with OVMF are good then?  I realize you have more testing yet, but first impressions are important.

few teething troubles with the install, but so far so  good.

i killed the vm and will run another tomorrow with a graphics card and see what happens, just wanted to familiarise myself with the setup.

i killed the vm and will run another tomorrow with a graphics card and see what happens, just wanted to familiarise myself with the setup.

Ok there may be some snags with having multiple ovmf guests, but we are working those out.

Ok there may be some snags with having multiple ovmf guests, but we are working those out.

by killed i mean obliterated, banished, deleted and inhumated, one could even say terminated with extreme prejudice.

by killed i mean obliterated, banished, deleted and inhumated, one could even say terminated with extreme prejudice.

Ah, ok then. You'll be fine.

I have encountered a problem with Beta15.  I have installed 6b15 only on my test bed server only at this point.  When playing any BluRay iso on my  NTV550 media player using SMB, the  playback will stall and I also get audio dropouts.  All of this will occur within a minute of two of beginning playback. 

Reverting back to 6b14b, the problem disappears.  The problem appears on both of my NTV550s.  I have rebooted the network switch in case that might be a factor.  I see nothing in the log to indicate any problem.  (I am attaching the log in any case.)  There are no transmission errors shown on the Dashboard.

Because I am using flash card reader (with a good GUID), I can quickly switch between versions so I have tested both versions several times to verify that the problem only exits in 6b15.

If you attempt to play the ISO using other devices such as a windows machine, do the playback issues still occur?

OK.  I normally don't play BluRay's on my Windows machine but I kludged together a setup that will do it. (One of my movie-watching setups has a 120" 2.35:1 screen!)  I used Virtual CroneDrive to mount the ISO and then Used CyperLink PowereDVD8 to play it.  The bluRay played normally. 

This is good but it does really address my issue (and probably a lot of other people who have older media players that they want to use).  I am surmising that some of the recent 'updates' to SMB is partially breaking SMB compatibility with older versions.  I feel that somehow this issue is going to have to be addressed.

Can you switch to NFS ?

I've had stuttering problems for many years with full Bluray ISO's (file sizes of 30 to 50GB) on a Dune HD Smart D1 media player. Not with blu-ray rips or remuxes. When I switched from SMB to NFS all the stuttering problems are gone.

It completed at 11:35pm - the (today) part is the incorrect part

Myk

I did a parity check before upgrading last night to current version and the dashboard says:

Myk

Myk

I laughed, out loud.

LT defines today differently,

Quick feedback from me, updated from b12 to b15, all went well, am def seeing a performance improvement for my windows VM (KVM) and also the unraid webui in general. Had to rebuild my docker image file due to btrfs bug, but i was aware of this bug so no biggie for me. All in all a nice release guys!

I have encountered a problem with Beta15.  I have installed 6b15 only on my test bed server only at this point.  When playing any BluRay iso on my  NTV550 media player using SMB, the  playback will stall and I also get audio dropouts.  All of this will occur within a minute of two of beginning playback. 

Reverting back to 6b14b, the problem disappears.  The problem appears on both of my NTV550s.  I have rebooted the network switch in case that might be a factor.  I see nothing in the log to indicate any problem.  (I am attaching the log in any case.)  There are no transmission errors shown on the Dashboard.

Because I am using flash card reader (with a good GUID), I can quickly switch between versions so I have tested both versions several times to verify that the problem only exits in 6b15.

If you attempt to play the ISO using other devices such as a windows machine, do the playback issues still occur?

OK.  I normally don't play BluRay's on my Windows machine but I kludged together a setup that will do it. (One of my movie-watching setups has a 120" 2.35:1 screen!)  I used Virtual CroneDrive to mount the ISO and then Used CyperLink PowereDVD8 to play it.  The bluRay played normally. 

This is good but it does really address my issue (and probably a lot of other people who have older media players that they want to use).  I am surmising that some of the recent 'updates' to SMB is partially breaking SMB compatibility with older versions.  I feel that somehow this issue is going to have to be addressed.

Can you switch to NFS ?

I've had stuttering problems for many years with full Bluray ISO's (file sizes of 30 to 50GB) on a Dune HD Smart D1 media player. Not with blu-ray rips or remuxes. When I switched from SMB to NFS all the stuttering problems are gone.

Excellent suggestion!  I just did that and I can tell you that NFS has the same stalling issues in BETA 15 on my Test Bed server.  Wow, this broadens the problem!