unRAID Server Release 6.0-beta15-x86_64 Available

Possible bug. Classification - Minor

Created a cache disk to play with docker. Disk Settings default FS is set to XFS. assigned the cache drive and the FS was listed as AUTO, which to me means that it will use the default in the disk settings.

It formatted as BTRFS.

I was able to change it easily to XFS though.

How many cache slots did you have set when you did this?  Stop your array and just look at the number of slots under cache.

Hi Jon, it said 1.

I'll look into this later today. That may be a bug. The cache devices are auto set to btrfs when more than one slot is set to cache (in order to create the pool) but on a single, it should respect the default filesystem selected in the disk settings page.

• Replies 506
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi just looking to upgrade to beta 15 and I've just removed dmacias72's VM manager plugin but i've also got another of dmacias72's plugins for Libvirt support do i need to remove this too?

Not sure how common this will be but I had to copy my .xml's back to /etc/libvirt/qemu after the upgrade.  I was a couple versions behind on 14b but the upgrade didn't move my .xml's  I had them backed up (which I'd suggest you do first).

I hadn't looked but assumed the loopback image was still being used since my vm's started.  Depending on what version of the previous plugin/plugins he was using, the image may have been in /boot/config/plugins/virtman instead of dynamix.kvm.manager. I had some code in the newer plg that would check for the old location and file, then rename to domain.img and move to the new location.

Do I need to do anything else after copying my .xml files back to /etc/libvirt/qemu?  Will that solution survive a reboot?  I copied three OS.xml files and one network/vlan.xml file.

It should. There should be a small domain.img in the dynamix.kvm.manager plugin folder on your flash drive that gets mounted to /etc/libvirt. You could also rename and move your old image file. Or just keep it as a backup.

I actually did try that, it responds with the same error

ls: File Not Found - 'FS0:\'

When I type ls, I get the following:

I am having some trouble booting the installer for Windows 8 

I am able to switch to FS0 by typing fs0:

However, at the FS0:\ prompt, I receive the following error message when entering "cd efi/boot"

cd: Directory not found - 'FS0:\efi\boot'

I have validated that my win8 iso does in fact have this directory structure, containing the bootx64.efi file.

I appreciate the assistance

After you get to the UEFI shell and are in the FS0:\ prompt, type ls to get the directory structure on the device.  Then type cd FOLDERNAME and again to get into the next subfolder.

man, maybe old age is getting to me.  Try "dir" like the old MS-DOS way.

This is the same thing that is happening to me when attempting to install Windows 8.1 x64. I tried all the previous suggestions with no luck either.

I still am experiencing spin down issues with this beta. Any ideas to figure out what keeps making those discs spin up? Seems to be something in the Unraid environment itself since if I isolate it from the network I still get this problem, frustrating...especially with summer coming. Also no spin down issues pre-beta 13 as far as I remember.

Disabling your plugins / dockers / vm's will help to narrow it down and then bring them up one at a time

Ended up narrowing it down to cache dirs. I guess I simply do not have enough memory to cache everything and so it spins up the drives when it scans.

I still am experiencing spin down issues with this beta. Any ideas to figure out what keeps making those discs spin up? Seems to be something in the Unraid environment itself since if I isolate it from the network I still get this problem, frustrating...especially with summer coming. Also no spin down issues pre-beta 13 as far as I remember.

Disabling your plugins / dockers / vm's will help to narrow it down and then bring them up one at a time

Ended up narrowing it down to cache dirs. I guess I simply do not have enough memory to cache everything and so it spins up the drives when it scans.

knowing that cachdirs is the issue, then providing parameters to cached irks to exclude certain folders or limit the depth might help.

However, at the FS0:\ prompt, I receive the following error message when entering "cd efi/boot"

I have validated that my win8 iso does in fact have this directory structure, containing the bootx64.efi file.

After you get to the UEFI shell and are in the FS0:\ prompt, type ls to get the directory structure on the device.  Then type cd FOLDERNAME and again to get into the next subfolder.

This is the same thing that is happening to me when attempting to install Windows 8.1 x64. I tried all the previous suggestions with no luck either.

Ok, this has to be something silly we're missing as I have had no problems and never even get prompted with the EFI shell when I go to install Win8.  Will record video of me doing this later so you guys can see an "over the shoulder" view of what I'm doing.

Just thought I'd chime in on something I've noticed going from 14b to 15:

The amount of time it takes to stop the array has dramatically improved for me.  It used to take a long time to stop docker containers, unmount the disks and stop the array.  So thumbs up from me! 

Ok, this has to be something silly we're missing as I have had no problems and never even get prompted with the EFI shell when I go to install Win8.  Will record video of me doing this later so you guys can see an "over the shoulder" view of what I'm doing.

A video would be great. I tested with a Windows 8 install also and got the same thing. Then tried an Ubuntu install using OVMF and was able to run commands (both ls and dir can be used) and I was able to cd to efi/boot.

Using ACS overrides is at your own risk.

I would assume by this quote that you recommend running the VM's with pcie acs override set to "no" and only turning it on if a pci-e device is not functioning properly?

Even broader...  Don't mess with PCIe ACS Overrides unless you read and understand that post by Alex Williamson.  If you have multiple PCI devices in an IOMMU group for which you want to be able to assign to individual VMs, the better solution is to try and remount the devices to an alternate PCI slot in hopes that it would be bound to an alternet PCI root port, thereby allowing it to be in a separate IOMMU group.

Just thought I would post an update. I just booted into unRAID with the normal unRAID OS option and all my VM's booted fine. So the good news is that pcie acs overrides is now set to no and everything is working.

A video would be great. I tested with a Windows 8 install also and got the same thing. Then tried an Ubuntu install using OVMF and was able to run commands (both ls and dir can be used) and I was able to cd to efi/boot.

Well, I was able to recreate this issue today and I'm totally perplexed as it may be GPU / OS media specific.  I don't get how the GPU should matter, but it seems like it does for some reason.  The workaround is to adjust the bus used by both the Windows install media and the VirtIO driver media to ide/sata, but leave the virtual disk on virtio.  More on this soon...

I have the same issue as above with plugin update messages not being displayed. Browser cache has been cleared.  I also have an issue that if a drive is not spun up the first time polling attributes timer runs after waking the server from sleep, and if the drive is not subsequently spun up that the drive will continue to report 'disk activity' according to the s3 sleep debug log.  The drive will be clearly spun down in the GUI but will be reporting temp and showing disk activity according to the debug log. This behavior persists until the drive is manually spun up or is spun up by the os

Well, I was able to recreate this issue today and I'm totally perplexed as it may be GPU / OS media specific.  I don't get how the GPU should matter, but it seems like it does for some reason.  The workaround is to adjust the bus used by both the Windows install media and the VirtIO driver media to ide/sata, but leave the virtual disk on virtio.  More on this soon...

Thanks for the update on this. I'd been struggling with this issue too, since receiving your suggestion in the other thread. Thought I was going crazy!

I assume the addition of the arrows next to the drive state icons are for user accessibility reasons? But it really doesn't make any sense that a downwards facing arrow indicates a spun up drive and vice versa.

The down arrow means it will spin the drive down. The up arrow means it will spin the drive up. The state icon (a ball icon, mouse over for legend) indicate whether it is spun up or down. The arrows are not indicators.