unRAID Server Release 6.0-beta15-x86_64 Available

Upgraded from v5 to b15 thanks to the guide linked from page 1.  The only slight hitch I had was that I needed to set the boot priority in my BIOS again (assume it's because I reformatted the flash drive) - since the machine's headless I had to do a bit of lifting (and find an old monitor and keyboard), but all up and running fine.

I do have a couple of problems though.  Left the machine running with the monitor on, started a parity check and came back to it an hour later...

1. "No sensors found" message many times on the screen.  I'm assuming this is nothing to worry about, but thought I'd check

2. More worryingly, the last message on the monitor is "*** Error in '/usr/bin/php': Corrupted double-linked list: 0x00002b3b9d7ade58 ***

The machine is still running on the network, and I can access the files.  However the web GUI is nowhere to be found (just a "waiting for unraid1" message in Chrome).  Seems as though the parity check is still running.

My machine is running pretty much stock unRaid - I don't have any plugins, just a number of shares.  I've used Putty to telnet onto the machine and capture a log (see attached).  Hope that's the right thing to do.

Any help gratefully received.

The "No sensors found" must come from something else installed besides unRAID itself. Check if you have any remains on your flash (folders: /extra, /plugins, /config/plugins, /custom, /packages).

Also check the content of your go file

Sorry for not getting back sooner, busy weekend.

It's a clean install, and to my memory I've not run any plugins at any time.  The go script is the stock install.

Were the instructions you followed in this link?

http://lime-technology.com/wiki/index.php/Upgrading_to_UnRAID_v6

If you used LimeTech's procedure to upgrade and copied over the entire    config    folder, you probably got some files you don't want for ver 6!  I would suggest shutting down your server.  Take the Flash out and delete the entire    config    folder.  Then copy over just the  config folder from the download.  Then copy over certain files from your back of your ver 5 backup  as described in the link above.  Oh, make sure you have a copy of your  .key    file in a safe place!!!

This was the upgrade document I followed, and I only copied over the config and config/shares folders (minus the go file)

I've got a few updates (things I forgot to post earlier), that *might* point to why the double-linked list error detailed above...

- When going onto the dashboard tab I noticed that one of my drives had a red down-thumb icon.  Clicking on that and "disk-attributes" highlighted a Reallocated Sector Ct of 1.  I ran a SMART short self test and that returned no errors.

- After that I ran an extended self test.  I *may* have gone back to this page later and accidentally clicked the extended self test button again whilst it was still running

Anyway, I rebooted, let it run a full parity check and tried to run an extended self test again.  Being new to these tests my question here might seem odd - should it keep the drive from spinning down?  When returning to the self-test screen, it was saying the drive has spun down, and I had to go back to the main screen to spin it up to resume the test (if I've understood it right).  I left this running overnight last night.

I got back to the machine this morning and unRaid was no longer on my network.  I couldn't ping it on its IP, and couldn't get a system log.  I'm guessing something catastrophic happened.  I therefore had to reboot it again, and it is running another parity check.  Going back to the self test page of the questionable drive and it returns a "test interrupted" message.  It takes about 15 hours for the parity to complete, so I won't really be able to do much for another 14 (unless I stop it).

• Replies 506
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You should really provide a syslog if you want any realistic attempts at diagnosing your issues.

You mention files being in use by root stopping the array stopping properly.  That definitely sounds a bit strange.

If you are logged in as root in console or telnet, and your current working directory is on a disk or on a user share, then this is what you would get.

<snip>

Anyway, I rebooted, let it run a full parity check and tried to run an extended self test again.  When returning to the self-test screen, it was saying the drive has spun down, and I had to go back to the main screen to spin it up to resume the test (if I've understood it right).  I left this running overnight last night.

<snip>

Unfortunately, I seem to recall that your assumption about the extended smart test being able to prevent the disk from spinning down is not true.  You will probably have to turn off spindown until the test is complete. 

The "No sensors found" message is usually caused by 'Dynamix System Temperature' plugin looking for the temperature sensors on the motherboard.  They are actually harmless.

I am concerned about the server 'disappearing' from the network.  That should not be happening.  As I read your description of what is working and not working at various times, it seems like your server is having some problems that are most unexpected. 

By the way, it might be best if you were to start a new thread in the "General Support" section for Version 6.  There, your problem will be only topic of discussion and the help you receive will be more focused.  Be sure to state most of what has transpired and attach another syslog.  It could be useful if you posted a complete description  of all your hardware.

By the way, it might be best if you were to start a new thread in the "General Support" section for Version 6.  There, your problem will be only topic of discussion and the help you receive will be more focused.  Be sure to state most of what has transpired and attach another syslog.  It could be useful if you posted a complete description  of all your hardware.

Thank you.  I'll let the parity check finish, then get the server out so it's accessible with screen/keyboard and take it from there.  I'll likely start by going back and setting the flash drive up again and log everything from there.

Upgraded from beta 5a to beta 15 yesterday, and I have to say I am impressed so far.  I had a few hiccups with the upgrade, which I documented on the support board, links below.  Hopefully nothing serious.  Great work LT.  Looking forward to some free time to start messing with some KVM VMs.

Initially I tried an upgrade, and the server booted with no network access at all, but somehow my VM was booted and running fine (weird).

http://lime-technology.com/forum/index.php?topic=39568.0

Tried a fresh install and have reasonable success but the WebGUI died on my overnight.

http://lime-technology.com/forum/index.php?topic=39568.0

I wasn't really sure where to ask about this...

I had SNAP when i was running unraid5. It gave me nothing but trouble, and i removed it.

I am not running unraid6b15 and I have noticed for a few weeks now that I have a share called "external" that goes nowhere. I only see it in my windows explorer. I see no evidence of it with putty at /user/mnt and I do not see it on the shares screen. SNAP is obviously not installed.

Anyone have any idea how to remove it?

I had SNAP when i was running unraid5. It gave me nothing but trouble, and i removed it.

I am not running unraid6b15 and I have noticed for a few weeks now that I have a share called "external" that goes nowhere. I only see it in my windows explorer. I see no evidence of it with putty at /user/mnt and I do not see it on the shares screen. SNAP is obviously not installed.

On this file: /boot/config/smb-extra.conf

On this file: /boot/config/smb-extra.conf

Thank you very much!

I don't seem to get notifications either, until I change a Notification setting and click Apply.  Mine is set to pop up, send email, and send PushBullet notifications, all of which work fine, once the notification system 'turns on'.

I noticed that the following line appears in the syslog after clicking the Apply button:

php: /usr/local/sbin/notify cron-init

It does not appear before this.

Just an idea, I have page refresh turned off, have a Refresh button top right that I use.  Is it possible the lack of the auto refresh is bypassing the notification system?

I think you may be on to it Rob. I applied the IT Crowd solution method ("have you tried turning it off and back on"). Tured it off, APPLY, turn it back on, APPLY... started getting them again. Maybe the initialization code need a look see? (it was on in 14b, 15 didn't pick up that it was on?)

I have a look into this, thanks for the feedback.

A bit more info, booted the server today, and many hours later not one notification.  I stopped the array, and immediately got a bunch!

I don't seem to get notifications either, until I change a Notification setting and click Apply.  Mine is set to pop up, send email, and send PushBullet notifications, all of which work fine, once the notification system 'turns on'.

I noticed that the following line appears in the syslog after clicking the Apply button:

php: /usr/local/sbin/notify cron-init

It does not appear before this.

Just an idea, I have page refresh turned off, have a Refresh button top right that I use.  Is it possible the lack of the auto refresh is bypassing the notification system?

I think you may be on to it Rob. I applied the IT Crowd solution method ("have you tried turning it off and back on"). Tured it off, APPLY, turn it back on, APPLY... started getting them again. Maybe the initialization code need a look see? (it was on in 14b, 15 didn't pick up that it was on?)

I have a look into this, thanks for the feedback.

A bit more info, booted the server today, and many hours later not one notification.  I stopped the array, and immediately got a bunch!

Did you in B14 set a different folder location for the notifications to be stored ?

No, I only enabled and set up Notifications a few days ago, along with email for the first time ever.  Any info/files I can provide?

Can you give me your "notify"settings from the dynamix.cfg file ?

Mine look like:

[notify]

date="Y-m-d"

time="H:i"

position="bottom-right"

path="/tmp/notifications"

entity="1"

status="20 0 * * *"

normal="1"

warning="6"

alert="6"

report="2"

custom=""

events="5|187|188|197|198"

plugin="5"

version="10 0 * * *"

system="*/1 * * * *"

docker_notify="5"

docker_update="10 0 * * *"

docker_notify1="on"

plugin3="on"

docker_notify3="on"

report3="on"

normal3="on"

warning3="on"

alert3="on"

No, I only enabled and set up Notifications a few days ago, along with email for the first time ever.  Any info/files I can provide?

Can you give me your "notify"settings from the dynamix.cfg file ?

Mine look like:

[notify]

date="Y-m-d"

time="H:i"

position="bottom-right"

path="/tmp/notifications"

entity="1"

status="20 0 * * *"

normal="1"

warning="6"

alert="6"

report="2"

custom=""

events="5|187|188|197|198"

plugin="5"

version="10 0 * * *"

system="*/1 * * * *"

docker_notify="5"

docker_update="10 0 * * *"

docker_notify1="on"

plugin3="on"

docker_notify3="on"

report3="on"

normal3="on"

warning3="on"

alert3="on"

[notify]
entity="1"
normal="7"
warning="7"
alert="7"
plugin="7"
docker_notify="7"
report="7"
events="5|187|188|197|198|199"
date="Y-m-d"
time="h:i A"
position="top-right"
path="/boot/config/plugins/dynamix/notifications"
system="*/1 * * * *"
version="10 */6 * * *"
docker_update="10 */6 * * *"
status="20 */6 * * *"
docker_notify1="on"
custom="199"
plugin3="on"
docker_notify3="on"
report3="on"
normal3="on"
warning3="on"
alert3="on"
docker_notify2="on" 

The only important difference I see is the path.

I can't reproduce the problem.

When I reboot my system it works all the time, notifications are generated whether stored in RAM or flash. It is tested without opening the browser.

I see emails coming in and push messages arriving as soon as the system is operational after reboot.  ::)

I have been struggling to keep my b15 upgrade stable for more than 24 hrs at a stretch and I am unable to pinpoint the reason. The machine becomes unresponsive while the KVM works and I also had couple of times the KVM crashing as well. I have done a cold reboot few times over the last week. I am almost tempted to go back to the most stable b12 and let things be. I have two toddlers and a busy work, finding it hard to spend time and debug the issue. The syslog doesn't seem to show anything out of ordinary. I am posting my syslog, go file, attachments of docker and plugins.

I would really appreciate if someone can help me identify the mystery source of the crashing. I have attached the syslog file in zip format (had to zip, forum was complaining of large attachment). I was up till about 2 am, so I knew it was working at "Apr 30 02:00:09 Tower kernel: mdcmd (75): spindown 0". By evening unraid was down, I think the first sign of "Unable to connect to "smtp.gmail.com" port 587" is an indicator of emhttp going down.

my syslinux.cfg file:

root@Tower:/boot/syslinux# cat syslinux.cfg
default /syslinux/menu.c32
menu title Lime Technology
prompt 0
timeout 50
label unRAID OS with KVM
  menu default
  kernel /bzimage
  append intel_iommu=on vfio_iommu_type1.allow_unsafe_interrupts=1 pcie_acs_override=downstream initrd=/bzroot
label unRAID OS Safe Mode (no plugins)
  kernel /bzimage
  append initrd=/bzroot unraidsafemode
label Memtest86+
  kernel /memtest
label Xen/unRAID OS
  kernel /syslinux/mboot.c32
  append /xen --- /bzimage --- /bzroot
label Xen/unRAID OS Safe Mode (no plugins)
  append /xen --- /bzimage --- /bzroot unraidsafemode

my go file:

root@Tower:/boot/config# cat go
#!/bin/bash

#For KVM videocard video & hdmi audio pass thru
/usr/local/sbin/vfio-bind 0000:01:00.0 0000:01:00.1 0000:00:14.0

# Start the Management Utility
/usr/local/sbin/emhttp &

/boot/unmenu/uu
cd /boot/packages && find . -name '*.auto_install' -type f -print | sort | xargs -n1 sh -c

# SNAP automounts
/boot/config/plugins/snap/snap.sh -b
/boot/config/plugins/snap/snap.sh -ms SSD1
/boot/config/plugins/snap/snap.sh -ms SSD2
#/boot/config/plugins/snap/snap.sh -ms HITACHI1
#/boot/config/plugins/snap/snap.sh -ms HITACHI2

#mount SAB and transmission temp drive
/boot/config/plugins/snap/snap.sh -ms WD15T

#CTRLALTDEL=YES LOGSAVE=30 installpkg /boot/packages/powerdown-1.02-noarch-unRAID.tgz
#sysctl -w kernel.poweroff_cmd="/sbin/powerdown"

#Custom mover script for moving completed transmission files
crontab -l >/tmp/crontab
echo "# run mymover script at 1 am every day:" >>/tmp/crontab
echo "0 01,04,07,10,13,16,19,21,23 * * * /boot/bin/mymover > /dev/null" >>/tmp/crontab
crontab /tmp/crontab

cp /boot/INSTALL/.screenrc /root/
cp /boot/INSTALL/.htoprc /root/
cp -ar /boot/INSTALL/.ssh /root/ ; chmod -R 600 /root/.ssh
echo "export TERM=xterm" >> /root/.bash_profile

#update custom script for madsonic+pia vpn checking
echo "25 * * * * /boot/bin/fixmadsonic_port.sh" >> /var/spool/cron/crontabs/root

My upgrade from b12 to b15 went smooth. Deleted VM Manager and libvrt, deleted docker.img and created all the dockers from scratch. Seemed to be working okay for about a day until I found the machine unreachable. It appears like emhttp and ssh crashed, cannot access the machine from LAN. However, Win8.1 KVM running on the unraid seems to be working okay. I had to cold reboot the machine and after about a day, I get the same symptoms - cannot reach the machine but KVM works. This is the second time this has happened since upgrading to b15 few days ago.

My previous b12 version was amazingly stable, no issues at all and was running for about 3 months before I rebooted for b15 upgrade. Has anyone experienced similar issue on b15? Anything I can look for to fix this issue? I will try to get the log through the KVM machine, it is in use right now.

That is incredibly odd.  Please share your syslinux.cfg file here and do you have any plugins installed?  Have you tried removing them?

syslog1.zip

PluginsList.jpg.8ca4dfb333dd6e1412721d701c79bd58.jpg

DockerList.jpg.cf239b1a5abdf26d027b68efdc93462f.jpg

I have been struggling to keep my b15 upgrade stable for more than 24 hrs at a stretch and I am unable to pinpoint the reason. The machine becomes unresponsive while the KVM works and I also had couple of times the KVM crashing as well. I have done a cold reboot few times over the last week. I am almost tempted to go back to the most stable b12 and let things be. I have two toddlers and a busy work, finding it hard to spend time and debug the issue. The syslog doesn't seem to show anything out of ordinary. I am posting my syslog, go file, attachments of docker and plugins.

I would really appreciate if someone can help me identify the mystery source of the crashing. I have attached the syslog file in zip format (had to zip, forum was complaining of large attachment). I was up till about 2 am, so I knew it was working at "Apr 30 02:00:09 Tower kernel: mdcmd (75): spindown 0". By evening unraid was down, I think the first sign of "Unable to connect to "smtp.gmail.com" port 587" is an indicator of emhttp going down.

my syslinux.cfg file:

root@Tower:/boot/syslinux# cat syslinux.cfg
default /syslinux/menu.c32
menu title Lime Technology
prompt 0
timeout 50
label unRAID OS with KVM
  menu default
  kernel /bzimage
  append intel_iommu=on vfio_iommu_type1.allow_unsafe_interrupts=1 pcie_acs_override=downstream initrd=/bzroot
label unRAID OS Safe Mode (no plugins)
  kernel /bzimage
  append initrd=/bzroot unraidsafemode
label Memtest86+
  kernel /memtest
label Xen/unRAID OS
  append /xen --- /bzimage --- /bzroot
label Xen/unRAID OS Safe Mode (no plugins)
  append /xen --- /bzimage --- /bzroot unraidsafemode

my go file:

root@Tower:/boot/config# cat go
#!/bin/bash

#For KVM videocard video & hdmi audio pass thru
/usr/local/sbin/vfio-bind 0000:01:00.0 0000:01:00.1 0000:00:14.0

# Start the Management Utility
/usr/local/sbin/emhttp &

/boot/unmenu/uu
cd /boot/packages && find . -name '*.auto_install' -type f -print | sort | xargs -n1 sh -c

# SNAP automounts
/boot/config/plugins/snap/snap.sh -b
/boot/config/plugins/snap/snap.sh -ms SSD1
/boot/config/plugins/snap/snap.sh -ms SSD2
#/boot/config/plugins/snap/snap.sh -ms HITACHI1
#/boot/config/plugins/snap/snap.sh -ms HITACHI2

#mount SAB and transmission temp drive
/boot/config/plugins/snap/snap.sh -ms WD15T

#CTRLALTDEL=YES LOGSAVE=30 installpkg /boot/packages/powerdown-1.02-noarch-unRAID.tgz
#sysctl -w kernel.poweroff_cmd="/sbin/powerdown"

#Custom mover script for moving completed transmission files
crontab -l >/tmp/crontab
echo "# run mymover script at 1 am every day:" >>/tmp/crontab
echo "0 01,04,07,10,13,16,19,21,23 * * * /boot/bin/mymover > /dev/null" >>/tmp/crontab
crontab /tmp/crontab

cp /boot/INSTALL/.screenrc /root/
cp /boot/INSTALL/.htoprc /root/
cp -ar /boot/INSTALL/.ssh /root/ ; chmod -R 600 /root/.ssh
echo "export TERM=xterm" >> /root/.bash_profile

#update custom script for madsonic+pia vpn checking
echo "25 * * * * /boot/bin/fixmadsonic_port.sh" >> /var/spool/cron/crontabs/root

My upgrade from b12 to b15 went smooth. Deleted VM Manager and libvrt, deleted docker.img and created all the dockers from scratch. Seemed to be working okay for about a day until I found the machine unreachable. It appears like emhttp and ssh crashed, cannot access the machine from LAN. However, Win8.1 KVM running on the unraid seems to be working okay. I had to cold reboot the machine and after about a day, I get the same symptoms - cannot reach the machine but KVM works. This is the second time this has happened since upgrading to b15 few days ago.

My previous b12 version was amazingly stable, no issues at all and was running for about 3 months before I rebooted for b15 upgrade. Has anyone experienced similar issue on b15? Anything I can look for to fix this issue? I will try to get the log through the KVM machine, it is in use right now.

That is incredibly odd.  Please share your syslinux.cfg file here and do you have any plugins installed?  Have you tried removing them?

Before we go any further, can you please boot into safe mode (to disable all unsupported plugins) and see if your issues persist?  Plugins can easily be the cause of your issue if you are over taxing your system and keep in mind, they are not officially created, maintained, or supported by Lime Technology.  The only plugins that are supported are those that are "built-in" as indicated under the rightmost column.

Just after my monthly parity check started at 12am, I got update notifications at 12:18am for several but not all of my plugins with an xml parse error. None of these needed updating.

Event: Plugin - dynamix.active.streams [plugin: xml parse error]

Subject: Notice [uNSERVER] - Version update plugin: xml parse error

Description: A new version of dynamix.active.streams is available

Importance: normal

and similar for

Event: Plugin - dynamix.system.temp [plugin: xml parse error]

Event: Plugin - dynamix.system.stats [plugin: xml parse error]

Event: Plugin - dynamix.system.info [plugin: xml parse error]

Event: Plugin - community.repositories [plugin: xml parse error]

Event: Plugin - NerdPack [plugin: xml parse error]

Just after my monthly parity check started at 12am, I got update notifications at 12:18am for several but not all of my plugins with an xml parse error. None of these needed updating.

and similar for

This sounds like a bad download from github, and corrupted data received by the script which does the version checking.

When getting the PLG files from github for comparison, there is no integrity check possible (no MD5 hash) on the files received, and the parse error is the result. I have a look if/how this can be suppressed, that is no notification being sent.

Thanks for reporting.

and similar for

This sounds like a bad download from github, and corrupted data received by the script which does the version checking.

When getting the PLG files from github for comparison, there is no integrity check possible (no MD5 hash) on the files received, and the parse error is the result. I have a look if/how this can be suppressed, that is no notification being sent.

Thanks for reporting.

You mean a bad download while checking for updates, not a bad download already on my system, right? Cause all of these are working fine, and checking for updates now does not produce any problems.

Usually between 12AM-6AM I have NZBget using up most of my bandwidth, but last night I intentionally did not due to the expected parity check, so don't know what might have caused a bad download.