Frank1940

Ver6.0.0 -Org b15 Issue --Playback Stalls and Audio Dropouts During SMB Playback

108 posts in this topic Last Reply

I have encountered a problem with Beta15.  I have installed 6b15 only on my test bed server only at this point.  When playing any BluRay iso on my  NTV550 media player using SMB, the  playback will stall and I also get audio dropouts.  All of this will occur within a minute of two of beginning playback.

Reverting back to 6b14b, the problem disappears.  The problem appears on both of my NTV550s.  I have rebooted the network switch in case that might be a factor.  I see nothing in the log to indicate any problem.  (I am attaching the log in any case.)  There are no transmission errors shown on the Dashboard.

Because I am using flash card reader (with a good GUID), I can quickly switch between versions so I have tested both versions several times to verify that the problem only exits in 6b15.

Quote from: jonp on Today at 08:30:48 AM

If you attempt to play the ISO using other devices such as a windows machine, do the playback issues still occur?

OK.  I normally don't play BluRay's on my Windows machine but I kludged together a setup that will do it. (One of my movie-watching setups has a 120" 2.35:1 screen!)  I used Virtual CroneDrive to mount the ISO and then Used CyperLink PowereDVD8 to play it.  The bluRay played normally.

This is good but it does really address my issue (and probably a lot of other people who have older media players that they want to use).  I am surmising that some of the recent 'updates' to SMB is partially breaking SMB compatibility with older versions.  I feel that somehow this issue is going to have to be addressed.

Quote from: jonp on Today at 08:30:48 AM

Yeah I'm not writing this off as a device issue because, as you've said, it doesn't affect you on the previous beta. Just wanted to have you test to see.

I will mark this down for us to investigate.

Can you actually post this as a defect report for us so if others have the same problem, we can track it?

EDIT:  This condition is confirmed to still exist in unRAID version 6.0.0.  See the last post for details

syslog.zip

I had some time and did a bit more testing.

First thing I did was to install Beta 15 on my Media server.  (Both of my servers use USB-to-Flash drive adapters with unique GUID's so it is easy to install different versions of the unRAID  software on different Flash drives and simply swap the drives in-and-out for testing.) 

The NTV-550 has the same SMB issues with ISO's on the Media server.  It did seem take a bit longer into the movie to show up than with the Test Bed.  So that means the problem is not restricted to the Test Bed Server!

I also have a WD TV Live Plus media player.  (I normally never use it because it has some media compatibility issues.)  I connected it up and tested out with the same movies that were giving me problems streaming off of the Test Bed Server.  The WD TV also had problems with stalling but, again, it seems to take longer to appear.

The only conclusion I can draw at this point is that there is some sort of incompatibility between the older versions of SMB used in the media players and the version that is used in Beta 15.

If someone has some other thoughts or ideas, I would be interested to hear them.

I tested this scenario with my Dune-HD media player, and could watch the complete bluray movie (2:30H) without interruptions.

This particular movie was stored in true bluray format (bdmv folder), I will try a bluray movie stored as ISO file as well and let you know.

I tested this scenario with my Dune-HD media player, and could watch the complete bluray movie (2:30H) without interruptions.

This particular movie was stored in true bluray format (bdmv folder), I will try a bluray movie stored as ISO file as well and let you know.

I have no doubt that your Dune player's Linux software is more up to date then either of my two media players.  The last software release for the NTV-550 was August 25th, 2011!

In Beta 15, the Samba package was updated from 4.1.16 (in Beta 13) to 4.1.17.  Is there any way to roll back to 4.1.16 and still use the Linux 3.19.4 Core?  I would be willing to test to help isolate the problem. 

I have no doubt that your Dune player's Linux software is more up to date then either of my two media players.  The last software release for the NTV-550 was August 25th, 2011!

In Beta 15, the Samba package was updated from 4.1.16 (in Beta 13) to 4.1.17.  Is there any way to roll back to 4.1.16 and still use the Linux 3.19.4 Core?  I would be willing to test to help isolate the problem.

There actually is potential in a solution by further upgrading samba.  We didn't have time to do this with beta 15 as it was only released a few days ago.  The newest version of Samba adds support for additional capabilities server-side that could improve performance for your use case.  We'll need some time to build, compile, and test, but needless to say we plan to do just that.

My Dune player is from 2010, but surprisingly they (Dune) keep updating the firmware, latest version is of February this year :)

ISO bluray also plays fine in my case, just to let you know.

There actually is potential in a solution by further upgrading samba.  We didn't have time to do this with beta 15 as it was only released a few days ago.  The newest version of Samba adds support for additional capabilities server-side that could improve performance for your use case.  We'll need some time to build, compile, and test, but needless to say we plan to do just that.

OK, that may be a solution but let me bring up another facet.  Point7 (on the announcement thread) suggested that I try NFS.  So I did a quick test.  NFS has the same stalling/ audio dropout issues as SMB. 

Now, I remember that I used to use NFS but switch to SMB quite a while ago BUT I don't remember why.  Prior to that, I think I had problems with stalling on SMB at that time and NFS didn't.  Then an update to SMB fixed the issue.  However, I also remember that there were some issue with NFS that cropped up about that same time that prompted me to make the switch to SMB.  (I wouldn't normally switch without having a valid reason.)

QUICK TEST:  I enable NFS on my Meida server which is back running 6b14b (WFA) and it does not appear to have any problems streaming NFS.  So there must be some different issue than the Protocol selected for streaming...

How far into the videos do you have stuttering and timeouts?

What is your drive spindown timeouts set to?

What does your NIC on unraid say its speed is? (Gigabit or did it fall back down to 100mbit ?)

How far into the videos do you have stuttering and timeouts?

On "Lucy", the first stall occurs in less than a minute in and there are another one or two within the next two minutes.  This is consistent behavior.  I have been flushing any buffers by playing other ISO's between attempts.  They also have problems with stalls but not as quick as Lucy. I suspect that it has something to do with bitrate...

What is your drive spindown timeouts set to?

Thirty minutes.  Set in the 'Disk Settings' on the 'Setting' page.  Individual drives set to use the default.

What does your NIC on unraid say its speed is? (Gigabit or did it fall back down to 100mbit ?)

The speed is still shown as 1000Mb/s on the Dashboard.  There are also no errors, drops or overruns on the 'System Status-Counters' of Dashboard. 

I should also point out the both of the media players that I use have 10/100Mb/s interfaces.  Max bitstream rate on BluRays should not exceed about 50Mb/s.  All of my testing was done with a single stream.  (I have stream two movies simultaneously in the past without any problems.)  I should also point out that if I use 6b14b of unRAID on either server, the problem isn't there!  So that rules out the network between the servers and the players (I have two NTV-550's and the WD TV that I have tested).  I am not certain what is going on but I suspect (at this point) that the problem is not in either SMB or NFS but rather in the 3.19.4 version of Linux (or one of its settings).  This last statement is just pure conjecture on my part at this point.  Both of these servers are Plain-Jane servers.  The only plugins installed are Powerdown, Cache Directories, System Information, and System Temperature.  I have not enable Dockers or VM's.

Try removing cache dirs and see if there is any impact.

Try removing cache dirs and see if there is any impact.

I 'removed' Cache Directories using the 'Plugins' page.  On "Lucy", I had three stalls in the first two minutes using either NFS or SMB.  The condition is repeatable.  Every time that I start 'Lucy', I will get stalls within the first couple of minutes of playing.  By the way, these stalls do not always occur at the same point.

On SMB, I also tried "Killing Lincoln" which stalled about 3-4 minutes in and "Man of Steel" which stalled 4-5 minutes into the movie. 

Has anyone else experienced this with their setups on beta 15?

Not sure!

I use Apple TV's to play media and I seem to have had an unusually high number of instances of "buffering" type delays since upgrading.  However since those can occur sometimes for reasons other than unRAID i have not yet done anything to determine if they disappear if I revert to 14b.

I dont know if this is the same problem,

but my Windows 7 Laptop can't access Unraid 6.15 using smb. Ssh works fine.

Same behavior on a Windows7 VM

Same on a OpenElec 4.2 Raspi. NFS works....

SMB seems broken...

Regards Owel

SMB seems broken...

Regards Owel

Doesn't sound at all the same. Do you mean you literally can't access over SMB at all, or it just doesn't work as well as it should.

SMB definitely not broken for me. If it is not working at all for you then check your workgroup settings

SMB seems broken...

Regards Owel

I don't think so (at this point).  Checked to see that you have enable SMB on the "Settings" page under the "SMB" icon.  Then go the "Shares" page, click on the share's name, make sure that, under the 'SMB Security Settings' that the 'Export' is set to "Yes".  (Turn turn on SMB on a Disk,  go to the "Main" page and click on the Disk under the "Device" column.  From there proceed as from a share.)

Yes, SMB is not working at all.

Nothing changed but upgrading from 14b to 15.

Settings seems to be correct.

Yes, SMB is not working at all.

Nothing changed but upgrading from 14b to 15.

Settings seems to be correct.

I assume that you check to see that your Workgroup (under the SMB icon, Workgroup Settings)  was named correctly on your server.  On a windows machine that is not working, go to the 'Start' button and click on it.  Then type 'Credential Manger' in the search box.  It will show in the result column.  Start the Credential

Manager and delete any Window credentials if there are any there.

IF that doesn't work, start a telnet session and type  htop  on the command line.  Now look under the column named "Command"  for  "/usr/sbin/smbd -D".  IF you find it Samba is running on the server. 

Thanks for your help.

Workgroup is correct

I went from 14b to 15. so this guide refers to 5->6

When my Tower starts I get the error: smbd: no process found.

any ideas?

Thanks for your help.

Workgroup is correct

I went from 14b to 15. so this guide refers to 5->6

When my Tower starts I get the error: smbd: no process found.

any ideas?

Do you have any plugins installed?  Try booting into safe mode. SMB is definitely not broken for anyone else that I am aware of.

I am also experiencing the same issue with videos stuttering on B15.  The same videos streamed fine in B14.

I am also experiencing the same issue with videos stuttering on B15.  The same videos streamed fine in B14.

Could you post up your CPU, MB and amount of Memory and the device you are using to play your Media?

Could you post up your CPU, MB and amount of Memory and the device you are using to play your Media?

System: Supermicro - C2SEA

CPU: Intel® Core™2 Quad CPU Q8300 @ 2.50GH

Memory: 3072 MB (max. installable capacity 4 GB)

Network: eth0: 1000Mb/s - Full Duplex

Direct Steaming of video, transcoding audio via plex (docker) to a roku 3.  I have not noticed any streaming issue to my PC.