Setup Cache drive?

I have just added a cache drive to my unRaid Plus, there are a few things I am wondering about because of that:

Why do I now have a bunch of folders shared under my user shares?

They are all 5.18GB despite my SSD is 128GB. Or maybe its just a byproduct of using v. 6 and not v. 5? Did not have them before when I used the version 5...

I can see the utilisation on the Cache is 96%, is that normal?

Seems a bit high...

In my Main overview I see the Cache drive size as only 5.18GB with the first 4.34GB used.

That was not the point as the drive is 128GB and I would very much like to be able to handle files in the range of 30GB+

Please help me clear this up. :)

Was this cache drive previously used? Maybe you don't have it partitioned correctly.

Post a screenshot showing the cache drive numbers you mentioned and the result of

lsblk

Any folder at the top level of cache or an array drive is automatically a user share. If you don't configure a share it has default configuration.

In particular, any folders at the top level of cache are a user share and will be moved to the array if you don't make the share cache-only. Considering this, most likely you don't really need a bunch of top level folders on cache and should decide how to reorganize.

Most people only put cache-only shares on the cache drive, and let unRAID take care of the normal user share that are set to be cached. There are 3 settings for Use cache disk: Yes, No, Only.

Was this cache drive previously used? Maybe you don't have it partitioned correctly.

Guess you was right, it used to be the boot drive for a Linux machine that I now am using a older 64GB SSD in instead.

Just formated it as btrfs and now the usage space shows correct.

Any folder at the top level of cache or an array drive is automatically a user share. If you don't configure a share it has default configuration.

In particular, any folders at the top level of cache are a user share and will be moved to the array if you don't make the share cache-only. Considering this, most likely you don't really need a bunch of top level folders on cache and should decide how to reorganize.

Most people only put cache-only shares on the cache drive, and let unRAID take care of the normal user share that are set to be cached. There are 3 settings for Use cache disk: Yes, No, Only.

Ahh... I have been running unRAID for quite some time now but only the other day I got serious and finally bought a license and now want to learn the real magic behind this system. The many stupid small shares went away when I formated the cache, so maybe they were remains from the Linux install...

I have set all my user shares to use the cache, as it is 128GB there should be enough space untill the mover script runs every night.

Do I need to set the mover script or is there a good enough default setting I dont need to tinker with?

In 6b15, Mover schedule is in Scheduler Settings. The default is daily at 3:40am.

You may want to pay some attention to the other things I said about the Use cache settings for shares I mentioned before. People typically also use their cache for dockers, VMs, plugin data, etc. In those cases, you would make a share (appdata, for example) and set it to Use cache: Only. This will prevent mover from moving that data off the cache drive. Many people have had their applications quit working because they overlooked this. Also, mover will ignore any files at the top level of cache. Only top level folders not configured as cache-only shares will get moved.

In 6b15, Mover schedule is in Scheduler Settings. The default is daily at 3:40am.

You may want to pay some attention to the other things I said about the Use cache settings for shares I mentioned before. People typically also use their cache for dockers, VMs, plugin data, etc. In those cases, you would make a share (appdata, for example) and set it to Use cache: Only. This will prevent mover from moving that data off the cache drive. Many people have had their applications quit working because they overlooked this. Also, mover will ignore any files at the top level of cache. Only top level folders not configured as cache-only shares will get moved.

I tried to get Plex to work and was not in much luck, but Plex made a folder called Appdata. That folder is also a share and is now located on one of my data drives. How can I move it to the cache?

I have deleted plex and its docker container, will get that to work after I am finished with the cache issues.

I tried to get Plex to work and was not in much luck, but Plex made a folder called Appdata. That folder is also a share and is now located on one of my data drives. How can I move it to the cache?

I have deleted plex and its docker container, will get that to work after I am finished with the cache issues.

Since you're not really using it yet it might be simpler to just delete the data in appdata, then delete the share, then explicitly recreate the share as cache-only. The reason it got created is likely because you just accepted the defaults from a docker template, not necessarily bad but you should have some idea if it is appropriate for your usage. Many of the templates assume you have already created a cache-only appdata share.

Since you're not really using it yet it might be simpler to just delete the data in appdata, then delete the share, then explicitly recreate the share as cache-only. The reason it got created is likely because you just accepted the defaults from a docker template, not necessarily bad but you should have some idea if it is appropriate for your usage. Many of the templates assume you have already created a cache-only appdata share.

I want Plex and Crashplan to run very soon, just need to solve this first.

But you might be right that its easiest to deal with the issues one at the time.

A problem is though that I can not delete the appdata folder, the files in there that plex have made gives me an error on my mac every time i try to delete them.

My guess is its because the owner of the files is a user name I dont know that plex have created and has now dissapeared as I deleted docker and plex with it...

I want Plex and Crashplan to run very soon, just need to solve this first.

But you might be right that its easiest to deal with the issues one at the time.

A problem is though that I can not delete the appdata folder, the files in there that plex have made gives me an error on my mac every time i try to delete them.

My guess is its because the owner of the files is a user name I dont know that plex have created and has now dissapeared as I deleted docker and plex with it...

Can you login as root to telnet or console? That is the way I would have recommended but wasn't sure if you knew how to work at the command line.

Can you login as root to telnet or console? That is the way I would have recommended but wasn't sure if you knew how to work at the command line.

Tell me what to write :)

Yes, I can work around in Telnet just dont know the correct commands to use.

Thank you a bunch for all the work you have done so far. Its pretty great if everything works in the end

I usually just type mc. That will give you Midnight Commander, a text-based GUI of sorts with 2 "windows" that you can browse with cursor up/down, tab between windows, function keys for actions. It is pretty easy to figure out so you may not have to learn the exact command line stuff. It will probably start you in root's home folder. Just move to the .. (parent) folder until you see the /mnt folder. That is where all your drives and user shares are. The folders you are interested in will be /mnt/user/appdata or something like that.

Alternatively, just type

v /mnt/user

and post the result and we can go from there.

I usually just type mc. That will give you Midnight Commander, a text-based GUI of sorts with 2 "windows" that you can browse with cursor up/down, tab between windows, function keys for actions. It is pretty easy to figure out so you may not have to learn the exact command line stuff. It will probably start you in root's home folder. Just move to the .. (parent) folder until you see the /mnt folder. That is where all your drives and user shares are. The folders you are interested in will be /mnt/user/appdata or something like that.

Alternatively, just type

v /mnt/user

and post the result and we can go from there.

I finally had time to test your method and you know what? It worked!

I have now successfully deleted appdata trough root user via telnet midnight commander.

Needed a little more help though and found a guide here before I knew how to move around in mc.

Have now made a share called appshare and another one called docker, both cache only.

Put a docker img in the docker share and started Plex with its configuration files in the appshare folder.

I guess thats what you meant I needed to do in the first place?

Now I have some questions on how to setup Plex in docker, but I will make another thread about that issue