OpenElec on V6.0 b15

Is there any chance you could release the version your using as a beta or even an alpha test? I tried multiple times to get openelec working even going as far as trying to compile my own version but I could never get it to work properly. I've been using kodibuntu since november last year but that's got issues with passing through DTS etc (at least for me) to my amp that I don't get with openelec. I don't think any of us would expect any support from you guys, I wouldn't want to distract you from working on the final release of Unraid 6 but it'd be good to have a play with it.

If you have solved GPU/audio  passthrough, to get OpenElec working you may also need to add the virtio drivers. They are already part of the linux kernel, so with "make menuconfig" I 've produced a config file including the Virtio drivers (net pci, balloon..).

To have a OpenElec+virtio Distro, proceed as follow :

Prepare to compile your own OpenElec distro as described in OpenElec Wiki (http://wiki.openelec.tv/index.php/Compile_from_source) . 

Check that you can build  the last stable distro (5.0.8) :

git checkout 5.0.8
PROJECT=Generic ARCH=x86_64 make release

Once you are sure everything is OK, you can put the attached file in OpenElec.tv/projects/Generic/linux/ to replace the original conf file, and compile again, this time with the virtio drivers :

PROJECT=Generic ARCH=x86_64 scripts/clean linux

linux.x86_64.conf

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

One thing that has always confused me is that the RPi is just a board without a case or shell, what did you guys do with that??

Check this out for ideas:

https://www.modmypi.com/shop

I have a Raspi2 running Kodi and it has great performance and is not sluggish at all. I use a HTPC for the main system, the Pi's are for other TV's around the house.

blimey , i didn't realise how cheap they are now.

might pick one up just for messing about on.  , it's still a derivative of debian 7 , right ?

One thing that has always confused me is that the RPi is just a board without a case or shell, what did you guys do with that??

I have a Raspi2 running Kodi and it has great performance and is not sluggish at all. I use a HTPC for the main system, the Pi's are for other TV's around the house.

might pick one up just for messing about on.  , it's still a derivative of debian 7 , right ?

Do you mean Openelec? It's not based on Debian. They built it from scratch they say on their webpage.

Do you mean Openelec? It's not based on Debian. They built it from scratch they say on their webpage.

I run Openelec on mine.

i meant the RPI  2

i meant the RPI  2

Whatever you want to run on it

If you have solved GPU/audio  passthrough, to get OpenElec working you may also need to add the virtio drivers. They are already part of the linux kernel, so with "make menuconfig" I 've produced a config file including the Virtio drivers (net pci, balloon..).

To have a OpenElec+virtio Distro, proceed as follow :

Prepare to compile your own OpenElec distro as described in OpenElec Wiki (http://wiki.openelec.tv/index.php/Compile_from_source) . 

Check that you can build  the last stable distro (5.0.8) :

git checkout 5.0.8

Once you are sure everything is OK, you can put the attached file in OpenElec.tv/projects/Generic/linux/ to replace the original conf file, and compile again, this time with the virtio drivers :

PROJECT=Generic ARCH=x86_64 scripts/clean linux

Back to this...

Man you just opened up a can of worms!  :)  Thank you for sharing...I am compiling now.

John

• 2 weeks later...

Thought I should chime in and mention that Eric pulled a fresh build out of the oven today for me to play with.  It's based on the 6.0 beta 2 for openelec.  Working on a video to show you guys hopefully tomorrow.

any progress on this?

I'm trying to figure out if I go unraid as host or unraid as guest

(more details in my separate hardware thread here: https://lime-technology.com/forum/index.php?topic=41317.0)

the ability to run a openelec vm with full gfx and audio passthrough is pretty much my deciding factor. I'm totally over building a windows based htpc with separate kodi install since I wasted so much time with drivers and refresh rate issues. ever since I switched to openelec I've never looked back.

Thanks

I just happened to stumble upon this thread when googling xmbc/kodi and KVM. It's been a great discussion.

I ran unraid several years ago, but switched to a Synology solution due to a few reasons. But it now looks like UnRAID has evolved into something far beyond what it was when I last used it. The reason I'm here is because I've been looking into creating a server running the following VMs:

* 3 VMs - Kodi with GPU passthrough for BD mkv rips (including the lossless HD audio codecs).

* 1 VM (possibly 2 VMs) - Windows mid-level gaming machine with GPU passthrough.

* 1 or more VMs - Linux VMs for general purpose usage. No GPU passthrough.

I started out by looking into using either ESXI or Xenserver. I tried both of these multiple times with varying levels of success. I was never able to get the linux based Kodi VM to pass lossless HD audio with the Radeon HD 6450. After reading this thread it appears it can be made to work with UnRAID. Is Kodi/OpenElec officially supported now in UnRAID 6?

For now, my proof of concept machine consists of an ASRock Z97 Extreme 6, i7-4790k, Radeon HD 6450 GPU. If everything works to my satisfaction then I'll probably end up buying an X99 motherboard with more PCIe slots to support all the GPUs I need along with either a Xeon or i7 Extreme CPU.

Does anyone have any feedback regarding the feasibility of what I'm trying to accomplish? Needless to say, most of these VMs will be idle at any one time, but I want to have them all running and ready to use. Thanks.

Great idea, but I have a question.

with 3 Kodi VM's, how did you plan to get the video to the TV's? I can't imagine you have a desire for 3 movie surround view?  :o

Two of the TVs will require long runs and I'll probably spend $$$ to use an HDBaseT solution.