How to remote desktop into VM

RDP should be available. You need to login to the Windows 8.1 VM via the browser based connection and set the Windows VM to allow RDP connections.

Right click My Computer, properties. Click remote settings. Under Remote Desktop click allow remote connections to this computer. Uncheck network level authentication.

ther is a setting in the RDP settings along the lines of "allow other versions of RDP" you may need to enable that since you are using windows 7.  I am going off of memory so it may be called something different or in a different settings tab.  I remember that I needed to enable this when I would RDP into my windows 7 from my Windows Vista machine.

I have enabled RDP on the windows8 VM, but when I try to RDP from my physical Windows7 machine, it doesn't get past "Configuring Remote Session".  No error or anything, it just sits at that status forever.  I am doing RDP to VM_IPaddressort

Ok, I think you may be using the virbr0 bridge which is not yet enabled to accept incoming connections from an external source.

To fix this, goto the network settings page of the unRAID webgui and enable a bridge and give it a name. Then, with your VM turned off, go to the VMs page of the web GUI and edit your VM. Turn on advanced view and change the network bridge from virbr0 to the bridge you created. This will give your VM an ip from your router.  From there, your rdp should work.

• Thanks 1

I have enabled RDP on the windows8 VM, but when I try to RDP from my physical Windows7 machine, it doesn't get past "Configuring Remote Session".  No error or anything, it just sits at that status forever.  I am doing RDP to VM_IPaddressort

Ok, I think you may be using the virbr0 bridge which is not yet enabled to accept incoming connections from an external source.

To fix this, goto the network settings page of the unRAID webgui and enable a bridge and give it a name. Then, with your VM turned off, go to the VMs page of the web GUI and edit your VM. Turn on advanced view and change the network bridge from virbr0 to the bridge you created. This will give your VM an ip from your router.  From there, your rdp should work.

You were right, and a friend just walked me through the same setup. 

I had to bridge my Unraid server network adapter to br0, then under advanced settings in the VM template, give it br0.  The VM then picked up the ip address from my DHCP router, and I can now RDP to that ip address perfectly.

Thank you!

Correct, I had it set to Public originally and had the change it.

Now, if anyone knows of a good guide to GPU passthrough with KVM, that would be awesome!

Go edit your vm. Don't you see a drop down for graphics?  Pick you GPU. End of guide . ;-)

When I go to graphics card in the unraid VM manager, all I have is VNC.  I am running an AMD A8-3570K processor and no discrete graphics card.

For CPU mode, I have "Host passthrough (AMD A8-3870 APU with Radeon HD Graphics".

But when I play a youtube video through remote desktop, it is chunky.  My network is gigabit and has no issue with high def streaming.  My windows8 VM has 4 cores and 8gig of RAM.

Correct, I had it set to Public originally and had the change it.

Now, if anyone knows of a good guide to GPU passthrough with KVM, that would be awesome!

Go edit your vm. Don't you see a drop down for graphics?  Pick you GPU. End of guide . ;-)

When I go to graphics card in the unraid VM manager, all I have is VNC.  I am running an AMD A8-3570K processor and no discrete graphics card.

See the manual in my signature for hardware requirements. You cannot use on board graphics. You need a discrete card. You also need AMD-Vi support on your CPU/motherboard.  See the manuals section about VMs for more information on configuring your BIOS.

• 4 years later...
  • 3 years later...

Thanks mate! Useful info

On 4/25/2015 at 7:07 AM, jonp said: