SMTP Docker?

I was wondering if there is a Docker container available for a light SMTP server? I used to have Exchange on-prem which I could have used, but I've migrated to Office365 so can't do relay any more, but would like to be emailed notifications from UnRAID. Is there anything available that anyone can suggest? Or am I just better creating a Hotmail or Gmail account?

The general rule of thumb is dont run a mail server at home as most of you mail will be marked as spam or rejected upstream.

Definitely gmail

don't run it at your home server i can follow, gmail as recommendation is beyond me! maybe i am paranoid, don't like ppl to have semi-easy access to my mail (may it be big brother, or just small brother google)...

to recommend anything like gmail, yahoo. aol etc... this days is just WRONG! we all should be a little more conscious about our data, mails, communication in general online!

so let me suggest some alternatives with a reasonable security expection:

for email: OpenMailBox.org, ProtonMail.ch, Tutanota.com (btw, i also don't really agree with your argument about not having own mailservers, but we don't need to push that here)

generally i recommend this days as starter reading https://www.privacytools.io/ about security for your own hardware, how far you want to push that is a personal decision. i have not really anything to hide (yeah rite haha, who has no skeletons in the closet somewhere...?), but i don't see a reason to make it easy to find them.

cheers, L

If you're on a static IP and have had the ISP set up a reverse DNS record for your mail server, running one at home can work.  But on a dynamic IP (most residential connections) where reverse DNS records are impossible, most of your mail will get rejected and/or tagged as spam as NAS states.  In addition, most residential IP blocks are blacklisted by spam filters.

So yes, it can be done, but it's an uphill battle. 

If you're on a static IP and have had the ISP set up a reverse DNS record for your mail server, running one at home can work.  But on a dynamic IP (most residential connections) where reverse DNS records are impossible, most of your mail will get rejected and/or tagged as spam as NAS states.  In addition, most residential IP blocks are blacklisted by spam filters.

i wasn't trying to encourage ppl to set up their own mail servers, it's way beyond the needs of most of us. i was just saying that nobody should recommend email services like gmail and the likes this days. i listed 3 alternatives above that offer encryption (which you can 'super enforce by encrypting in top of it beforehand with sth like pgp), no ip logging etc. there are more than this examples around. so, no need to set that up at home, reasonable save options are out there, same for other stuff.

i just tried to call to mind, we are not living in 1990 anymore, not even wanna really mention snowden... just saying we all (law abiding, upright citizens as we are) should take it in our own hands to see that basic constitutional rights of us are still taken care of, even with patriot acts +++ in use. i even love the idea to say 'hi dad, happy birthday' and have it heavily encrypted. because even that simple line is something between me and my dad. i don't need google to analyze it and offer flower shops online as a result and it is nobody else's business along the line that my dad has his birthday and i like him enough to congratulate.

nobody should go completely over-board here, but reasonable measures should be taken by everybody this days. that includes not to recommend services, software etc. with a more than question-worthy background. if i want my information out there, i will sell it to the highest bidder - i am not offering it on the silver tray.

anyway, all that was just meant as a friendly advise and we don't need to argue that any further. each to his own ;)

cheers, L

i wasn't trying to encourage ppl to set up their own mail servers, it's way beyond the needs of most of us. i was just saying that nobody should recommend email services like gmail and the likes this days. i listed 3 alternatives above that offer encryption (which you can 'super enforce by encrypting in top of it beforehand with sth like pgp), no ip logging etc. there are more than this examples around. so, no need to set that up at home, reasonable save options are out there, same for other stuff.

i just tried to call to mind, we are not living in 1990 anymore, not even wanna really mention snowden... just saying we all (law abiding, upright citizens as we are) should take it in our own hands to see that basic constitutional rights of us are still taken care of, even with patriot acts +++ in use. i even love the idea to say 'hi dad, happy birthday' and have it heavily encrypted. because even that simple line is something between me and my dad. i don't need google to analyze it and offer flower shops online as a result and it is nobody else's business along the line that my dad has his birthday and i like him enough to congratulate.

nobody should go completely over-board here, but reasonable measures should be taken by everybody this days. that includes not to recommend services, software etc. with a more than question-worthy background. if i want my information out there, i will sell it to the highest bidder - i am not offering it on the silver tray.

anyway, all that was just meant as a friendly advise and we don't need to argue that any further. each to his own ;)

cheers, L

i'd respectfully like to remind you that we are not all american and talk of patriot acts, and constitutional rights etc vary from country to country.

FWIW, I'm not disagreeing with you in regards to gmail and other services. I was simply replying as to the difficulties in running your own mail server from home.

I've run Exchange from home on a dynamic IP for several years. I just subscribed to DynDNS and used their mail relay service. My MX records pointed to them, and then they forwarded mail to me on port 10025 so it wasn't blocked by my subscriber. The cost was pretty reasonable as well and it includes AV/AS scanning.

I only move to Office365 as I get 5 free users for being a MCT which happened to cover off my family I was supporting on Exchange, so it seemed like a good idea.

I've ended up using the Office365 relay option in UnRAID and it's working well. Because I am relaying using my account the email comes from me, which I was hoping to avoid, but it's a minor annoyance.

FWIW, I'm not disagreeing with you in regards to gmail and other services. I was simply replying as to the difficulties in running your own mail server from home.

Hillary Clinton did it  :P

sarah palin tried it but ended up being involved in an unsavoury incident where she nearly sold her daughter online to slave traders.

I've run Exchange from home on a dynamic IP for several years. I just subscribed to DynDNS and used their mail relay service. My MX records pointed to them, and then they forwarded mail to me on port 10025 so it wasn't blocked by my subscriber. The cost was pretty reasonable as well and it includes AV/AS scanning.

I only move to Office365 as I get 5 free users for being a MCT which happened to cover off my family I was supporting on Exchange, so it seemed like a good idea.

I've ended up using the Office365 relay option in UnRAID and it's working well. Because I am relaying using my account the email comes from me, which I was hoping to avoid, but it's a minor annoyance.

Good to know. Wasn't aware of the service.

As for Office365, I assume your using the Client SMTP submission method, and not actual SMTP relay?

Good to know. Wasn't aware of the service.

As for Office365, I assume your using the Client SMTP submission method, and not actual SMTP relay?

Correct.

there is a whole host of email hosting solutions here, maybe one of these will be suitable for dockerisation.

not something i want to get into because i'm not big on security issues and tend to do things because they're possible and damn the consequences.

but there is some good expertise on this forum that may be able to sate your needs.

look back through the pages on here for email hosting.

http://freedif.org/

The general rule of thumb is dont run a mail server at home as most of you mail will be marked as spam or rejected upstream.

Definitely gmail

don't run it at your home server i can follow, gmail as recommendation is beyond me! ...

I agree and it is the reason I run my own mail servers but it is a LOT of work and expensive as you need rented servers/vps. It is also completely unrelaible (M$ blocked one of my IPs the other day for no reason) and very complex.

The way to address privacy is end to end encryption and not trying to find free 3rd arty services you can trust (as there arent any as seen by the fact some of them have had to shut down and cant even say why - but everyone knows why).

Anyways I agree with all the sentiment here.

• 1 month later...