Server reshuffle

• Replies 177
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

... it will cost £29.20?

??  The price shown is £11.86 including VAT with £4.57 for next day delivery.  I presume you're not located within their normal delivery area -- if not, surely there are other suppliers you can use.

... perhaps Amazon ?? http://www.amazon.co.uk/LSI-CBL-SFF8087OCF-06M-SFF-8087-Discrete-Multi-Lane/dp/B000HVXCXO/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1430344217&sr=8-1&keywords=forward+breakout

I have my R5. It has the factory standard 2 x GP14 140mm fans. I have 3 x Coolink 1200 fans 120mm in my Xcase with 2 x Noctua 80mm fans.

Should I use the GP14 or Coolink? What fans would you suggest?

What's the best position for the fans?

I am assuming the Noctua fans will be useless in the R5?

I'd use 2 140mm fans in front and one in the rear.

If you don't want to buy another 140mm fan, I'd put the two that came with the case in front and use a 120mm fan in the rear.

It's not likely you'll need more ventilation -- but if, after you've got it configured, you find the temps aren't as good as you like, then add a fan on top (a 120mm fan is fine).    I don't think  you need a side fan.

Thanks G. What is a good 140mm fan?

I think my sas2lp has caused a few problems with the preclear (crashing on preclear and then not showing the smart data after crash.) I had to preclear the disks via the gaming pc which also is a Asus Gene V. I used its sata ports and its been great. Therefore I am thinking about getting rid of the sas2lp and get a board with more sata ports. Maybe a Gene VII? Any opinions?

And to upgrade a drive it goes like this:

1) Parity check

2) Shut down server

3) Remove and replace a drive

4) Boot server

5) Rebuild drive

6) Parity check

7) Back step 2

Is this correct?

... Thanks G. What is a good 140mm fan?

There are a lot of good choices.  I like the BitFenix Spectre & Spectre Pro units, which are very good fans at a modest price;  or the Noctua units, which are slightly quieter but about twice the cost.  The BitFenix units are NOT noisy ... they're just not quite as silent as the Noctua's.

I am upgrading all of my 3tb to 8tb. After the drive rebuild, I do a parity check. When the parity check gets beyond 3tb the reading of the the data drives stop and then the parity drive continues to check the rest of the 5tb. Obviously there is no data to check beyond 3tb.

Therefore can I stop the parity check after 3tb?

Help!

I shut down the server and removed the 3tb disk1 and replaced with 8tb drive.

V6 detected an upgrade and I clicked start and now its been stuck on mounting disks for a while.

The parity drive and disk1 drives lights are active.

Its been doing this for the last 1 hour and 30 mins.

Is this normal operation? What's happening?

Interesting -- I wonder if with that many data drives there's enough time between accesses to the new parity drive that the drive's firmware doesn't recognize that these are all sequential writes => if that's the case it may be staging through the persistent cache ... which, after 25GB, would be full and would then have to empty the cache to allow further writes => this would DRAMATICALLY slow down the write speeds.

Not saying that IS happening ... but sure sounds like it might account for what you're seeing.

Just how slow is the rebuild progress?

Have I read this wrong - its rebuilding a 3TB drive on an 8TB drive????

I didn't think this was possible!?

Why wouldn't you think it's possible?    It's common to replace a drive with one that's larger.  The only requirement is that you can't use a drive larger than your parity drive.

Have I read this wrong - its rebuilding a 3TB drive on an 8TB drive????

I didn't think this was possible!?

Why wouldn't you think it's possible?    It's common to replace a drive with one that's larger.  The only requirement is that you can't use a drive larger than your parity drive.

"I stand corrected said the man in orthopaedic shoes" ...

I always thought it had to be a like for like size drive replacement. Anyway, happy to be corrected - would like to see some speed stats on the rebuild. As you asked above, how slow is slow?

All the drives are on the sas2lp.

This is PURE speculation (because I don't know) BUT I was always under the impression that the most "risky" time with Unraid was when rebuilding a data drive because ALL drives are working at the same time. So to me I'm wondering if Unraid makes simultaneous reads to all drives and writes to the replacement drive?  I am not sure if that is the case when building Parity does it do something different like read 1 disk at a time and write to Parity?

I guess where I am going with this is I am wondering if there is a bottleneck on the card?

Also, have you checked the S.M.A.R.T data of the drives? If one or more of the drives is having an issue maybe the inconsistent speed could be a drive struggling to be read?

The write speed is bouncing go 30 to 144 MBs. When I was rebuilding my parity the speed was constant and high. Maybe something wrong with v6.

Well ... that range is clearly a lot faster than writes would be if the 8TB drive was stuck in a shingled band rewrite mode, so that's good news.    That's a pretty wide variance; but may be accounted for by difference between writes that can skip the persistent cache entirely, and those that require staging through that cache.  Still seems a wide variance; but at least it's not freezing.

The long time to recognize the drive is perplexing ... don't have a good explanation for why that would have happened => although I HAVE seen some controllers that seem to take a very long time (many minutes) to recognize new drives.

I wouldn't expect the speed fluctuations to be a controller bottleneck => there should be plenty of bandwidth to handle all of the attached drives at full bandwidth.

In any event, definitely let us know what the total rebuild time is, just for one more good data point on the performance of the 8TB shingled drives.