Seagate 8TB Shingled Drives in UnRAID

Brilliant thanks, I completely failed to locate this.

Seems I have been shipped a V1 drive even though the advert was for a V2. Given I will be using this for shelf archive storage I am tempted to just keep it.

Don't expect I will be the last in this predicament.

I bought my drives as v2, but they're ST8000DM0002.  I can't say I've had any problems, they've been solid performers, run cool and quiet. 

FAR better drive than the rubbish 8TB WD Red Helium things - I've had one of those DOA, the replacement vibrates significantly, and the other isn't the quietest.  A real shame considering the old 5TB Reds I have are totally silent and vibration free.

• 1 month later...

Guys a little advice : i'm currently returning to unraid, buying a mix of new and used stuff to build a system.I have 2 seagate 8tb archive to use too (with 1 6tb wd red and 2 wd green 2tb drives).

I love Fractal cases but in my current Define R3 hdd slots lack the hole to secure these archive disks and i hate this.For what i can see even the new Fractal Define R5 has the same problem.

What can you suggest me to buy with lots of 3,5 or 5,25 slots ? I have seen the Sharkoon T9, but from the reviews on youtube i can see the same "problem" with hdd slots.

Something that can be bought in europe please :)

Thanks

Guys a little advice : i'm currently returning to unraid, buying a mix of new and used stuff to build a system.I have 2 seagate 8tb archive to use too (with 1 6tb wd red and 2 wd green 2tb drives).

I love Fractal cases but in my current Define R3 hdd slots lack the hole to secure these archive disks and i hate this.For what i can see even the new Fractal Define R5 has the same problem.

What can you suggest me to buy with lots of 3,5 or 5,25 slots ? I have seen the Sharkoon T9, but from the reviews on youtube i can see the same "problem" with hdd slots.

Thanks

Might be worth getting in touch with Fractal support. I have the same problem with my node 304 and when I contacted them about the problem they said they have redesigned the hdd brackets to fit drives without the center holes. They even offered to send me two of the new brackets once they had them in stock, free of charge!

I think the R3 have different brackets, but worth a try.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nice to know Fractal is resolving the issue for drives without the center holes => as the helium-sealed drives become more common, it's good they can be more securely mounted.    [i don't expect helium-sealed units to be all-that-common; but for the very high capacity units (8TB, 10TB, and beyond) that may very well become pretty standard.]

Nice to know Fractal is resolving the issue for drives without the center holes => as the helium-sealed drives become more common, it's good they can be more securely mounted.    [i don't expect helium-sealed units to be all-that-common; but for the very high capacity units (8TB, 10TB, and beyond) that may very well become pretty standard.]

It's not the helium, it is the tall platter stack that forced the screw to move.

Turn the drive round, and move the rubber grommits and the Archive drives fit just fine in the Fractal cases.  You need to use the outer-most grommit holes.

You should have the cables on the motherboard (back) side of the case, not pointing out against the door anyway, because you can bend/break the SATA connectors against the door very easily.

Just sent a message through their support page :) Thanks

By the way, how is the node 304 regarding to hdd temps ? It's so little eheh

Temps are within reason, around 40 for each disk during parity checks. I built my server with silence as a priority though, so very low power components and minimum heat generation.

Just a note on the new brackets: I haven't received mine yet, nor seen a picture of the new design. So they may or may not exist in reality. I'll report back when/if I receive them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Including 2 parity drives, I have 9 of these in one of my servers and the rest are 6TB's, I'm gradually replacing the 6TB's with these Shingled drives, they are a solid performer.

There's just one thing you shouldn't do with them, and that's two simultaneous writes, e.g. parity rebuild AND write new data, other than that, I love them.  I should add, some of my media files are over 100GB each and no issues.

I'm in the UK (which is still in Europe, at least for the time being :) ) and I use Sharkoon T9 cases because they are good value and have nine 5.25-inch bays. I don't try to mount disks directly into the bays though. Depending on the application, I use either 4-in-3 cages, which are cheap and not so convenient and wouldn't be suitable for disks without the centre mounting holes, or 5-in-3 caddyless adapters, which are much more expensive and need the metal tabs that separate the 5.25-inch bays to be bent or cut off, but they are much nicer as the disks are accessible from the front and no screws are required, which makes them suitable for disks without the centre mounting holes.

I finally have one of these.

My google foo is failing, what is the difference between a V2 and a V1 of this drive. The adverts all put V2 in description (Seagate Archive V2 8TB 128MB Cache Hard Drive SATA 6Gb/s 5900RPM - OEM) but I can see no information anywhere on what a V1 drive was or how to identify it.

V1: ST8000AS0002

V2: ST8000AS0022

Differences:

https://lime-technology.com/forum/index.php?topic=47509.0

I will write the same as I did in the post linked above so you don't have to jump all over the forum and that you should do your homework before believing and taking things as a fact.

As I was curios enough to ask Seagate directly and if they could tell me the difference between the ST8000AS0002 and the ST8000AS0022 drive and which of them is the V2 and which is the V1, if there ever was a V1 or that the AS0022 is actually a V3 and the AS0002 is the V2 cause V1 never existed.

This is the answer I got from Seagate:

Thank you for contacting Seagate Technical Support.  I understand you are wanting to know the difference between the model numbers. The drives are the same but they are given different part numbers due to when they where made or what region they are sold in. There is no difference in the details of the drive other than that.

Kind regards from me and Seagate,

Kayla S

Seagate EMEA Technical Support

You might ask why I did what I did? It was because I bought one of those 8TB SMR drives 3 weeks ago and I'm using it as my Parity drive, so it was sold as a V2 but showed the AS0002 and from what information I could gather is that it was a "V1" according to the information available on the internet and on this forum but it all was speculation.

I have a problem with that, because the datasheets for the two models (namely, ST8000AS0002 and ST8000AS0022) are very different, in particular with respect to the newer drive's implementation of ZAC. Where there's a disagreement between a level 1 tech support operative and the official manufacturer's documentation, I would tend to go with the latter. Reading datasheets could be thought of as "doing one's homework". I'm not disputing your V1 vs V2 vs V3 findings, just the suggestion that the AS0002 and the AS0022 are "the same".

EDIT: Here are the links to the datasheets:

ST8000AS0002 (I can't find it on Seagate's site any more, so this is a link to my Dropbox copy)

ST8000AS0022

I have a problem with that, because the datasheets for the two models (namely, ST8000AS0002 and ST8000AS0022) are very different, in particular with respect to the newer drive's implementation of ZAC. Where there's a disagreement between a level 1 tech support operative and the official manufacturer's documentation, I would tend to go with the latter. Reading datasheets could be thought of as "doing one's homework". I'm not disputing your V1 vs V2 vs V3 findings, just the suggestion that the AS0002 and the AS0022 are "the same".

EDIT: Here are the links to the datasheets:

ST8000AS0002 (I can't find it on Seagate's site any more, so this is a link to my Dropbox copy)

ST8000AS0022

I was trying to find the ST8000AS0002 datasheet but was unable to find anything on their page but it may be that they have implemented the ST8000AS0022 features as they are linking to the new datasheet on the ST8000AS0002 drives page and that they may still be producing them with the old model number.

But I hate to speculate on that and will try to get in touch with someone with a higher position than 1st-level support.

Thanks for furthering my thought process and teaching me not to believe everything I read written by a company's tech support.

The ST8000AS0002 is a first generation device-managed unit. The ST8000AS0022 is a third-generation host-aware unit. The latter is much more capable if your SATA controller and operating system can make use of the ZAC (Zone ATA Commands) extensions to the ATA command set. ZAC allows the controller to query the drive about the number and extent of its shingled zones and to set the write pointer explicitly.

However, for most users for the time being that is not the case so the host-aware device will revert to self-management, which makes it behave just like its predecessor. Hence the simplistic response from Seagate Tech Support. The AS0022 is the functional replacement for the AS0002 but it offers so much more to those who can take advantage of it.

Rather than pestering Seagate and getting nowhere I suggest that you go straight to www.t13.org if you'd like to know more.

V1: ST8000AS0002

V2: ST8000AS0022

This information is incorrect. The version 2 is ST8000AS0002, which should be pretty obvious. Yes, there was a version 1.

While it is true the ST8000AS0022 can be used as a drop-in replacement for the ST8000AS0002, the ST8000AS0022 is capable of so much more (with the right software).

• 1 month later...