Seagate 8TB Shingled Drives in UnRAID

I migrated 16 TB of data, movies with plenty of metadata files and background artwork etc, from 4TB 7200RPM HGST drives to 2 Seagate Archive Data drives with a 8TB Seagate Archive Parity drive without any slowdowns at all. I let unbalance run in the background and from what I remember I never saw any speeds under 75 MB/s.

• 1 month later...

I just received two more of the Seagate 8TB external expansion drives and they no longer have the archive drives in them but a Barracuda ST8000DM004 model.

If my google  is correct it would be this model. ST8000DM004 . And that is a great bargain for the external drive at 179.

Edited by Harro
  • Upvote 1
3 minutes ago, ashman70 said:

There have been many discussions about this, the general consensus is that they are still shingled drives, the say COMPUTE on them don't they? They are not the same as the M004 models that cost much more.

Yes it has "compute" listed under the Barracuda name.  I was getting excited. :)

On 8/29/2017 at 3:15 PM, Harro said:

I just received two more of the Seagate 8TB external expansion drives and they no longer have the archive drives in them but a Barracuda ST8000DM004 model.

If my google  is correct it would be this model. ST8000DM004 . And that is a great bargain for the external drive at 179.

@Harro

Wondering if you had any issues using these drives in unraid? Any partitions that had to be removed or that sort of thing. Just purchased an ST8000AS0002 on eBay but got the DM004 instead. Trying to figure out if I should just demand a full refund and return the drive or except a partial credit and keep the drive.

1 minute ago, johnnie.black said:

According to Seagate those disks are not SMR, they are TGMR, they are also 2TB per platter vs 1.33TB per platter for the shingled ones, so they should be superior in every aspect.

So, would you keep and use these considering the fact that there won't be any warranty?

4 minutes ago, wgstarks said:

So, would you keep and use these considering the fact that there won't be any warranty?

On further reading, looks like TGMR can still be SMR o.O, so probably shingled the same but with bigger platters, still better, wont comment on the warranty, you need to decide about that yourself.

1 minute ago, johnnie.black said:

On further reading, looks like TGMR can still be SMR o.O, so probably shingled the same but with bigger platters, still better, wont comment on the warranty, you need to decide about that yourself.

Just irritates me that the seller listed it as AS0002 and even included several pics. >:( The drives don't look anything alike. I have a hard time believing they accidentally listed/shipped the wrong one.

What about issues with partitions that need to be removed? Seems like I've seen some posts regarding drives that couldn't access the full capacity.

59 minutes ago, wgstarks said:

Wondering if you had any issues using these drives in unraid? Any partitions that had to be removed or that sort of thing. Just purchased an ST8000AS0002 on eBay but got the DM004 instead. Trying to figure out if I should just demand a full refund and return the drive or except a partial credit and keep the drive.

Well I ordered 2 more today since the price went down another 10 dollars. Didn't have any problems during pre-clear and mounted ok. Guess time will tell. 

• 2 weeks later...
2 minutes ago, wgstarks said:

Looks like it might be just a little slower. At 0 and 8T for sure.

Yeah, but it should be noticeably faster, not similar, that together with the WLR dropping from 180TB to 55TB/year makes me think the older models are superior, hell, if a user does a parity check a month just that is enough to go well above the recommended 55TB/year.