Seagate 8TB Shingled Drives in UnRAID

5 hours ago, pras1011 said:

I am about to buy 5 x 12tb seagate ironwolfs to replace my 6 x archives. As this is going to be a very expensive purchase, I just need to know if this ok or not? I would prefer to buy 14tb/16tb hdd but I am not sure when they will be out. I need to make a decision soon as the archives warranties are running out in about a month.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Why you need replace 6 x archives before end of warranties ?

5 hours ago, pras1011 said:

I need to make a decision soon as the archives warranties are running out in about a month.

Most drives last FAR longer than their warranties.   Unless you need additional capacity, I don't see any reason to buy new drives just because your current drives are beyond their warranty period.     And it doesn't seem you're adding significant capacity -- if you have a single parity system, 5 12TB vs 6 8TB only adds 8TB of capacity;  if it's a dual parity system, then the drive switch only adds 4TB.

I'd at least wait until you actually have a drive fail before buying all new drives.    You also, of course, don't have to replace them all at once :D... although I confess I recently did exactly that with my oldest server -- replacing all of the old 1.5 & 2TB drives with 8TB HGST NAS drives when Newegg had a very nice sale on the HGST units ($210).    But I needed the extra capacity.   FWIW NONE of the drives I replaced were in warranty ... 'nor had they been for several years.    And in two of my other servers, nearly every drive is several years past their warranty.

15 minutes ago, pras1011 said:

Because one failed and worried others might fail.

ALL drives can fail -- whether they're in warranty or not has little to do with that.

If your concern is that you don't want to buy another 8TB drive when the next drive fails, then you could buy a couple larger drives now to upgrade parity; and then defer the purchase of larger data drives until a drive actually fails.    In fact, doing that would also give you one (or two if you have dual parity) spare 8TB archive drive(s) (the old parity drives)  you could use in case of another drive failure.

The disadvantage of doing this is, of course, that you would be limited to the maximum current drive size for your new parity drives -- which would also limit the size of any future data drives; whereas if you wait you could likely move to 14TB or 16TB drives.    But better to buy a pair of 12TB units now instead of buying ALL new drives.

Understand. Several years ago, when I use Seagate 3TB harddisk, 3 of 4 dead. After RMA and use, only 2 still alive.

After that I haven't buy any Seagate.

But I suggest you don't buy lot of harddisk in sametime, because you never know same batch have problem or not. One by one or two by two should be nice.

Edited by Benson

My worry is that one or few will fail outside the warranty and then no rma and then no replacement. These drives are so expensive that I can’t afford it. I would sell the 8tb to help pay for the 12tb. 8tb space increase is nice! I know seagate are a bit dodgy.

• 1 month later...

Almost all of my drives that failed went in the first few months of life.  Generally, if they make it past the first 2 months, and barring any external influences (drops, power surges, etc), they'll run for years.

Heck, at work I've still got Pentium D machines running with IBM 60GXP drives in them, at over 10 years old.

I tend to agree that drives can last a VERY long time if they don't have any infant mortality issues.   The vast majority of drives I replace aren't due to drive failure -- it's to bump up the capacity or replace them with SSDs.    I've got a boxful of spare drives (a few dozen) that all test perfectly, but are simply smaller than I'm ever likely to use.

• 3 months later...
6 hours ago, BRiT said:

What click issue are you talking about? I have not heard of any Seagate Clicks, but have heard about other manufacturers drives that do NOT use SMR having loud Clicks like Western Digital.

Earlier in this thread there was mention about Seagate SMR drives making a click noise, so I am wondering if this is still the case

2 hours ago, antaresuk said:

Earlier in this thread there was mention about Seagate SMR drives making a click noise, so I am wondering if this is still the case 

ST8000AS002 does make a few click sounds, it's the only model I have, newer models might be different.

• 3 weeks later...

I just bought one of these Seagate Barracuda Compute 8TB drives, shucked, and through into Unraid. I started to preclear through the regular preclear plugin, preread ran fine, but now zeroing is taking FOREVER! 

Currently at 16%, 10.7 mb/s, at 33 hours and change. At this rate it's going to take waaay longer than I anticipated (around 60 hrs total, according to other experiences in this thread) 

I am a new user to unraid, so not sure if there is another way to do this, ie using a different script etc. 

Also, I don't know how to post log files or anything like that, so please bear with me and you might need to walk me through it 

1 hour ago, joshmxpx said:

I just bought one of these Seagate Barracuda Compute 8TB drives, shucked, and through into Unraid. I started to preclear through the regular preclear plugin, preread ran fine, but now zeroing is taking FOREVER! 

Currently at 16%, 10.7 mb/s, at 33 hours and change. At this rate it's going to take waaay longer than I anticipated (around 60 hrs total, according to other experiences in this thread) 

I am a new user to unraid, so not sure if there is another way to do this, ie using a different script etc. 

Also, I don't know how to post log files or anything like that, so please bear with me and you might need to walk me through it 

I could probably see some advantage to preclearing if the drive was still under warranty, but since the warranty is voided I’d probably not worry about preclearing it. If there’s some problem you won’t be able to return it anyway. I would probably just let unRAID clear the drive and then run an extended smart test.

If you still want to preclear the drive there are several scripts that can be run from a terminal window as well as a plugin which can run the scripts. AFAIK none of these are still being actively supported by their authors though, so use at your own risk.

Preclear plugin

preclear_disks.sh

Faster preclear

If you use one of the scripts you’ll need to go through the linked support threads to get the most recent script.

• 3 months later...
15 hours ago, eagle470 said:

I bought two 8TB Backup Plus' from Costco a few weeks ago. I did a x5 pre-clear on them. I thought I'd share my results for all to see!

2018-11-28 18_28_12-https___69e207e2e6b30c66d8210aa4ce79c4b148b49103.unraid.net_boot_preclear_report.png

2018-11-28 18_28_41-https___69e207e2e6b30c66d8210aa4ce79c4b148b49103.unraid.net_boot_preclear_report.png

Is these the drives that you preclear?

https://www.costco.com/Seagate-Backup-Plus-Hub-8TB-Desktop-Hard-Drive-with-Rescue-Data-Recovery-Services.product.100458004.html

you use them as external or internal drives?

if we open the case of those external SEAGATE to get the internal drive, the warranty is still valid?

Which specific drives model those external backups use? 

At similar price, these is also a WD

https://www.amazon.de/WD-Book-Desktop-AES-Hardwareverschlüsselung-WDBBGB0080HBK-EESN/dp/B01LWVT81X/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1543505829&sr=8-2&keywords=8+tb

https://www.amazon.de/Seagate-STEL8000200-Festplatte-eingebauten-Photography/dp/B01IAD5ZC6/ref=sr_1_1_sspa?ie=UTF8&qid=1543505829&sr=8-1-spons&keywords=8+tb&psc=1

and a much cheaper SEAGATE

https://www.amazon.de/Seagate-STGY8000400-Portable-Festplatte-Exclusive/dp/B07DQBFQ2D/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1543505829&sr=8-3&keywords=8+tb

thanks!

17 hours ago, eagle470 said:

I precleared them inside the cases

which explains the temperatures are higher than @jpotrz was expecting to see.

Five pre-clear passes though! That's 5 x 3 x 8 = 120 TB of reads/writes, which is more than twice the annual workload in less than 10 days. That's my main objection to these Barracuda Compute drives - they have a very low annual workload rating (55 TB/year) which, on drives of such capacity, you'll exceed just doing a monthly parity check. However, in their favour, they do have an unrecoverable read error rating of one per 10^15 bits read, which is an order of magnitude better than a WD Red.

On 12/1/2018 at 7:47 AM, John_M said:

which explains the temperatures are higher than @jpotrz was expecting to see.

Five pre-clear passes though! That's 5 x 3 x 8 = 120 TB of reads/writes, which is more than twice the annual workload in less than 10 days. That's my main objection to these Barracuda Compute drives - they have a very low annual workload rating (55 TB/year) which, on drives of such capacity, you'll exceed just doing a monthly parity check. However, in their favour, they do have an unrecoverable read error rating of one per 10^15 bits read, which is an order of magnitude better than a WD Red.

Yeah, my basement is small, so it doesn't stay very cool, even when it's below freezing out.

I figured if they were going to burn out, it would be then. I bought some Samsung 5TB externals for 105 a few years ago and had 1 fail (seagate inside), didn't want a repeat of that (i had shucked before pre-clearing because I was new to this.) 

Whats the thought on doing bi-monthly every-other-month parity check here?

Edited by eagle470