Help Add More PCI Device Pass Through to unRAID 6

jonp

Hey guys, could use your help on something.  We'd like to add support for more types of PCI devices and to do that, I need your help.  For Ethernet, Storage, and USB controllers, there is some work ahead, but for capture/tuner cards, we could implement something even shorter term to make this possible.  To do this, I need to know how Linux identifies your various other PCI devices so that we can build in the appropriate filters.  For each device beyond graphics/sound that you'd like to pass through (but NOT including Storage, Ethernet, or USB controllers), please visit the Tools -> System Devices page in the webGui and copy / paste the device identified from the PCI Devices section back here.  Here's an example for a capture card I have on my system:

04:00.0 Multimedia video controller: Device 1a0a:6202 (rev 01)

What I'm going to be focused on is the part above in bold.

In addition, please identify what kind of device it is (make model / type).  Mind would be an AverMedia GameBroadcaster HD (for make/model) and it's a video capture card.

Thanks everyone!!

0e:00.0 Multimedia controller: Digital Devices GmbH Octopus DVB Adapter

Octopus PCIe bridge

http://www.digitaldevices.de/english/Octopus_PCIe_Bridge.html

10:04.0 Multimedia audio controller: VIA Technologies Inc. ICE1712 [Envy24] PCI Multi-Channel I/O Controller (rev 02)

m-audio delta 410 PCI audio interface

07:06.0 Multimedia audio controller: VIA Technologies Inc. ICE1712 [Envy24] PCI Multi-Channel I/O Controller (rev 02)

m-audio delta 1010lt PCI audio interface

Tuner Card: AverMedia M780 (Combo PCI-E)

06:00.0 Multimedia video controller: Micronas Semiconductor Holding AG nGene PCI-Express Multimedia Controller

(I technically have this uninstalled from my server right now, but have this output from a previous lspci result that I had ran, I would assume it'd report the exact same under Tools -> System Devices once I install it again).

Seems like a simple regex applies to all the devices so far: "Multimedia (.*)controller:"

So far, yup.  Might see some variance as more get added.  We thought we had video figured out, but there are actually some graphics devices that show up as VGA compatible controller and others that show up as Display controller.

07:00.0 PCI bridge: Creative Labs [sB X-Fi Xtreme Audio] CA0110-IBG PCIe to PCI Bridge

08:00.0 Audio device: Creative Labs [sB X-Fi Xtreme Audio] CA0110-IBG

08 is what I'm passing through to my windows 7 VM.  This is (I believe) a custom version of the SB X-Fi Xtreme card.  It is a PCI card, and is for my whole house audio  (Casatunes).  Its a 6 channel audio card with an aux in and IR out.

/usr/local/sbin/vfio-bind 0000:08:00.0

casatune_pci.jpg.1084af22e3473d41085f51ac19ba9df6.jpg

• 1 month later...

One more for you, and the obvious question of.... How's it going  ??? (the point of this thread, not you, however, I suppose you also...  ;) )

Avermedia A188C

06:00.0 Multimedia controller: Philips Semiconductors SAA7160 (rev 01)

It is also defined as a "multimedia controller" .

• 1 year later...

I've tried several tuner devices and none of them have ever worked when passed through unfortunately. They all exhibit problems that manifests as dropped packets when tuning to dvb-t or dvb-t2. I've ever tried USB tuners and had the same issue, although I haven't tried using a dedicated USB controller and isolating it from Unraid.

• 3 months later...
On 6/4/2017 at 4:34 AM, BRiT said:

The easiest TV Tuners to use in the US are the network based tuners. That way you don't need to deal with kernel-level drivers and just need user-level software.

Yep, completely agree. I had no end of problems passing through PCI or USB tuners. I ended up getting a HDHomerun connect network tuner and it works flawlessly with a Windows 7 VM.

I use Hauppauge HVR-2250/2255 tuners to SageTV docker on 2 unRAID Servers and AVerMedia Duet's passed through to a Windows VM on another.  I also have some network HDHRs.  No problems on any of them that are not signal related.  Only problem I have is that KVM/unRAID won't pass through a PCI (not PCIe) card on my MBs because it goes through a bridge chip - works fine on my Tyan S5512 MBs with ESXi.  I suspect it would work in ESXi on my ASRock EP2C602-4L/D16 dual processor too but I've always used unRAID on that box.

Duet's:

[1131:7160] 03:00.0 Multimedia controller: Philips Semiconductors SAA7160 (rev 02)

HVR-2250/2255's:

[1131:7164] 08:00.0 Multimedia controller: Philips Semiconductors SAA7164 (rev 81)

Edited by BobPhoenix
  • 6 years later...
On 11/14/2023 at 4:11 PM, [email protected] said:

How did you get the HVR-2255's working?  I have 2 of these that I want to get working in a SageTV Docker.  Also, how did you get the drivers installed?  (on Unraid or the Docker?)  I have them working a Windows 10 VM (I did the ACS Override that Space Invader showed on a Youtube video).  I then installed the 2255 Windows drivers on the VM.

Thanks,

Clayton

I did finally get this working.  My main problem was that I had configured the cards to work first with a VM.   This meant I had to undo the PCIe ACS override: that I had configured.  Then when I installed the DVB drivers, my cards were recognized.   I then added the following to the 'extra parameters' in my docker:  --device=/dev/dvb/.   Much easier that I thought it would be.