[REQUEST] BOINC

BOINC

"Use the idle time on your computer to cure diseases, study global warming, discover pulsars, and do many other types of scientific research."

Similar to Folding@Home, but supports multiple scientific projects.

I can run this in a VM just fine but seem like overkill. I was able to get a docker for this working somewhat, but it never really played well with phusion runit, and it required remote management from a BOINC Manager installation on Windows. It really needs someone to put it in a desktop for RDP.

I have run BOINC off and on for many years on Windows, mostly on the SETI@Home project. Be nice if my always on but seldom busy unRAID server could do it.

BOINC is up on my repo.

If you have the community repositories installed, just hit update repositories and it should show up.

If you used the calibre docker, this one should look familiar. The client starts running in the background as soon as the container is started and you can run the manager by clicking on the desktop icon. The rdp password is boinc.

I whipped it up rather quickly and didn't get a chance to test it thoroughly. I did sign up for a project account and made it run a little bit. The settings seemed to persist even after a full removal and reinstall of the container and the image.

Hopefully it works, but if you have issues, let me know

Thanks, finally had some time to install this. Seems to be working well. I will have to spend some time fine tuning its use of resources (BOINC project preferences). Will report back tomorrow after it has had a chance to complete some work units.

Just discovered Guacamole, too, and it works very well with your RDP-Boinc and RDP-Calibre.

Had this running overnight during my monthly parity check, and it seems to be doing great!

I had my projects set to defaults for resource usage just to see what would happen in docker, and there doesn't seem to be any impact to the rest of the system. My CPU does stay pegged but it didn't affect my parity check at all.

I also had some torrents seeding but they don't usually have any impact anyway. Tonight I will try with NZBget running at the same time and see what happens when unpacking some rars.

I highly recommend this docker for anyone interested. BOINC has a lot of scientific projects to choose from.

• Upvote 1

That's great to hear. I'm running mine at 20% max :) But I'll try to see what will happen if I increase it to 100% when plex is transcoding

By the way, I rewrote the docker today so you might want to uninstall and reinstall. Don't do an update because some of the port settings changed.

Now you can access the boinc manager through the WebUI button and it opens in the web browser. No need for a separate rdp client.