What are you giving unRAID for hardware?

Hey Everyone,

Since my downgrade from 2 servers to 1 server, I want more flexibility then unRAID's KVM so I will be moving to ESXi. 

I'm going to be running

Plex (1-2 streams)

NZBGet

NZBDrone

CouchPotato

OwnCloud (see some ppl run this in a VM)

CrashPlan

Reverse Proxy

Going to have an i5 950 and 14GB of RAM.  What all do you send to unRAID?

I am running with:

Supermicro - X9SCL/X9SCM

Intel® Xeon® CPU E31230 @ 3.20GHz

16392 MB (max. installable capacity 32 GB)

2 * Supermicro AOC-SASLP-MV8

Parity: WD 6TB RED

Cache: Samsung 256GB 830 series SSD

3 * 3TB drive (one Hitachi, 2 WD RED)

2 * 4TB drive (WD RED)

5 * 2TB drive (WD RED)

About to add an extra 4TB WD red (previous cache drive), is now preclearing

I will add another 6TB WD RED next month to replace 2 drives that are starting to show reallocated sectors.

Am running unraid with one docker for crashplan (basically a test, I will most probably remove it again).

System is rather oversized, this is because I used to run unraid in a vm on this system as a host. I have since then upgraded my VMware setup to  32gb system and have kept this one for unraid. System rarely uses more then 20% cpu, and never more then 30%.

Memory is almost fully cache.

See attached Diagram for what I run on unRAID. I do however have 32GB RAM, so have given 6 to unRAID. However I don't ever see it's utilization get that high yet, even with 4 simultaneous Plex streams/transcodes.

Gave it 4vcpu.

It's interesting that you can do 4 simultaneous transcodes and still have moderately low CPU utilization on a relatively low-end E3 series CPU.  Are these just streams? ... or are they actually transcoding?

Nice setup by the way => If Dockers run well in a virtualized UnRAID setup, I certainly can't think of any reason to switch to a native v6 with KVM.

It looks like you are running unRaid on esxi and then running dockers on unRaid. How stable is this ?

I'm also doing this and it's been running fantastic (besides some bugs in docker 1.5).  I'm able to leverage my fio cards with ESXi and use them for the unraid boot vmdk and a cache vmdk, which is absurdly fast.

• 2 weeks later...

It looks like you are running unRaid on esxi and then running dockers on unRaid. How stable is this ?

I am, and as the other guy above mentioned it runs perfectly fine. You can have the best of both worlds and run normal VM's in ESXi and virtualized dockers on a virtualized unraid.

It's interesting that you can do 4 simultaneous transcodes and still have moderately low CPU utilization on a relatively low-end E3 series CPU.  Are these just streams? ... or are they actually transcoding?

Nice setup by the way => If Dockers run well in a virtualized UnRAID setup, I certainly can't think of any reason to switch to a native v6 with KVM.

I've just looked and saw 4 streams and my cpu only at like 80%.

One I think was mine at home, so no transcode, but the other 3 were definitely transcoding to some degree to people outside my home. I texted all of them that night when i saw I had 4 going and asked them if there was any stuttering or pausing, and they all said it was streaming fine like normal.

• 3 weeks later...

Any tips on moving my ver. 6 install of unRAID over to a VM on my ESXi host or should I just follow the Atlas instructions.  Just wondering if anything has changed since ESXi 4.1 (I'm running 5.5).

when i was setup my esxi, i followed Atlas thread - was on version 5.1 and 5.5 now..

i think there are a very little or no changes at all :)

Any tips on moving my ver. 6 install of unRAID over to a VM on my ESXi host or should I just follow the Atlas instructions.  Just wondering if anything has changed since ESXi 4.1 (I'm running 5.5).

when i was setup my esxi, i followed Atlas thread - was on version 5.1 and 5.5 now..

i think there are a very little or no changes at all :)

Sweet.  I'll give it a try tonight!

Alright I got unRAID to boot in ESXi 5.5 using this thread.  However I'm not able to get network communication.  Since I'm using a USB from a previous install, is there something I need to do to get connectivity within my VM?  Change MAC Address somewhere possibly?

EDIT:  I shoot, I just realized the latest vmdk in that thread is for ver. 6b14 but my USB has version 6b15 on it.

Are there any pre-made vmdk's out there with either 6b15 or the latest rc4?