[DOCKER] Handbrake GUI + Automation via CLI

I have exported my user presets from my Windows version of Handbrake. Even used Sublime Text to convert the line endings to "unix". No matter what I do I'm unable to import any user presets into this Handbrake Docker. I've also tried copying my user_presets.xml file to the ghb folder. Still nothing.

• Replies 252
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I tried to create custom profiles a while back.  I came to the conclusion that you can only use the built in profiles with the CLI.  Language handling is also annoying this way. I keep French and English main tracks and gave up to automating that part.

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk

• 4 weeks later...

has anyone been able to get their DVD/Blueray drives to work in this?  I have the --device=/dev/sr0:/dev/sr0 extra parameter in there, but it still doesn't work.  I have the same extra parameter in the MakeMKV docker and it allows me to use my Blueray drive right away.  Any help is greatly appreciated!

Here is what I have done so far:

1. In the unRaid web interface, add '--device=/dev/sr0:/dev/sr0' to the extra parameter field for the docker container so that the drive is accessible from within the container.  If your drive isn't sr0, you may have to change this.

2. SSH into your unRaid server, then open a bash shell inside the docker container.

a. Update the owner of /dev/sr0 within the container or update the 'nobody' user so they have permission on the drive.  With a fresh install, `ls -l /dev` showed that the owner of sr0 was root and the group was 19.  There was no group 19 inside the container.  So I did `chown root:cdrom /dev/sr0` to change the group and then `usermod -a -G cdrom nobody` to add the user to the group.

b.  Added a few different things to /etc/apt/sources.list and tried installing  a few different things.  Ubuntu-restricted-extra and vlc were the two I remember.

After all that, HandBrake successfully scanned the disk and started encoding.  It was extremely slow since I have unRaid on a very old system right now.  I left it run over night and when I woke up, I had a m4v file that I couldn't get to play.  Not sure what happened.  The next time I opened HandBrake, it said something about unfinished process, so it might have died sometime during the night.

I still have some experimentation to do, but it's progress.  I definitely how easy unRaid and Docker make it to try experiment and start over when needed.

• 1 month later...

I had this container semi-working.

For some strange reason, after a restart of the container I can no longer get access through the RDP.

When I click on the menu for hand brake, it just hangs.

when I see the log of the container this is what i see, and it keeps repeating itself.

Fatal server error:
Server is already active for display 1
If this server is no longer running, remove /tmp/.X1-lock
and start again.

ddxGiveUp:
Error: Can't open display: :1
ok: down: openbox: 1s, normally up, want up
Openbox-Message: Failed to open the display from the DISPLAY environment variable.
ok: down: openbox: 1s, normally up, want up

tower-diagnostics-20161023-1725.zip

• 1 month later...

Is the following possible -

After a movie is ripped with makemkv to have it converted to a specific android setting I have setup on my laptop right now?

I am looking for I guess a watch folder.

Once I drop the movie in the watch folder it gets converted for an android device?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

If you manually connect to the docker while it's running, and use:

apt-get update
apt-get install handbrake

It will update to version 0.9.9+dfsg-2~2.gbpa4c3e9build1 (actually a downgrade?).  That's the latest version that's compiled for the version of debian he's using.  I just did it and it's encoding something now.  It updated several other packages at the same time as the handbrake update that were also required.  It also leaves a few packages that aren't needed anymore, but I left those alone.

Actually, if you connect to the docker when it's running, you can update it to 1.01 manually.  I ended up doing each part of handbrake seperately, and I show I'm running 1.0.1-zhb-1ppa1~trusty1.  Ignore the above, and do this:

Attach to the docker container in a shell 

docker exec -i -t Handbrake /bin/bash

(Change HandBrake to either the container number, or name that you're using, case matters on the name), then:

apt-get update
apt-get install handbrake-cli
apt-get install handbrake-gtk

That ended up getting me everything updated to the latest (1.01).

If you manually connect to the docker while it's running, and use:

apt-get update

It will update to version 0.9.9+dfsg-2~2.gbpa4c3e9build1 (actually a downgrade?).  That's the latest version that's compiled for the version of debian he's using.  I just did it and it's encoding something now.  It updated several other packages at the same time as the handbrake update that were also required.  It also leaves a few packages that aren't needed anymore, but I left those alone.

Actually, if you connect to the docker when it's running, you can update it to 1.01 manually.  I ended up doing each part of handbrake seperately, and I show I'm running 1.0.1-zhb-1ppa1~trusty1.  Ignore the above, and do this:

Attach to the docker container in a shell 

docker exec -i -t Handbrake /bin/bash

(Change HandBrake to either the container number, or name that you're using, case matters on the name), then:

apt-get update
apt-get install handbrake-cli
apt-get install handbrake-gtk

That ended up getting me everything updated to the latest (1.01).

Worked for me too, had to restart the docker after this and then I got 1.0.1

I was also able to export my presets from my windows machine, to a directory accessible by the handbrake docker, then import it.  Once it was imported correctly (as a plist legacy type), I closed the handbrake program (used the X on the handbrake window to shut it down), restarted the docker, and my presets had stuck.  Not sure if people were still having problems with this or not, but it worked for me..

Was this stealth-updated a couple days ago?  I see it as having an update, and it LOOKS like in the docker hub logs it may be pulling 1.01?  Going to try updating it and see what I get..

**EDIT**  Looks like it was.  Went ahead and blew out the old one I had installed, and reinstalled, and now have full 1.01.  Not sure if it saved any space or anything, or if it's worth updating if you already did the manual update or not..

Was this stealth-updated a couple days ago?  I see it as having an update, and it LOOKS like in the docker hub logs it may be pulling 1.01?  Going to try updating it and see what I get..

**EDIT**  Looks like it was.  Went ahead and blew out the old one I had installed, and reinstalled, and now have full 1.01.  Not sure if it saved any space or anything, or if it's worth updating if you already did the manual update or not..

Yep I noticed the same. Awesome!

No, you can't passthrough the encoder to a docker container.

I am new to docker, but I have read this http://wiki.ros.org/docker/Tutorials/Hardware%20Acceleration

It doesn´t seem to be a limition of the docker engine itself or am I wrong?

Everything there is still predicated upon having the base hardware drivers themselves installed within the host OS (unRaid) -> which just isn't going to happen.  If you need hardware acceleration, you should be using a VM

I'm wondering a couple of things here with this docker container. none of which I seemed to have found while looking back through the posts.

If anybody can help with these that'd be absolutely wonderful!

1. I'm wondering if I can set this up to have two different watched folders instead of the basic one in the install, locations of my choosing. (Movies and TV Shows)

2. I'm also wondering I can have those converted videos placed in a new folder based on where they came from. (to keep files separated for later processing)

3. Keep a log of what has or has not been converted (through a sperate file, as the output folder is only a temporary holding place) so there aren't duplicates.

4. Make sure the original files are unharmed, moved or altered.

5. At the end of all of it just make sure those two input folders are constantly scanned to make sure if I add anything new it invokes a new conversion.

Please if there is a better place for this post please let me know.

Thank you.