Password Issues

For unRAID root user what are the password rules - max number of characters, any not allowed characters??

I found a post that suggested that $ is not allowed??

Presumably same rules apply to other created users??

I boot up unRAID server, change the password. If I then exit Safari not remembering passwords, restart safari, go to unRAID password is required.

If I then shut down uRAID server. Then restart unRAID server when I go to unRAID no password is required. I am sure this is not meant to happen.

I have a display attached to unRAID server which showed:

Tower login: cp: cannot create regular file ‘’boot/config/password’: Read-only file system

cp: cannot create regular file ‘’boot/config/shadow’: Read-only file system

cp: cannot create regular file ‘’boot/config/smbpasswd’: Read-only file system

Grateful for resposes/help.

Many thanks.

For unRAID root user what are the password rules - max number of characters, any not allowed characters??

I found a post that suggested that $ is not allowed??

Presumably same rules apply to other created users??

I searched the Internet and did not find that there is an upper limit unless it is above something on the order of 72 characters.  (I actually think that the encrypting process that processes your password to generate the 'hash ' that is actually stored can handle a lot more characters than you would want to type in!  That said, many times, system administrators have rules on min number of characters and the types required as they want to make password cracking as difficult as possible!)

I found absolutely nothing to indicate that any character was not allowed.  The only character that I would think might present difficulty might be a 'space' as it a passWORD. 

What is bringing up this issue?  Are you having a problem?