SMART Error Message Meaning

Direct access to SMART information is very new in unRAID, and still needs tweaking.  The new notifications are simply reporting non-zero numbers for the most part, and that often isn't useful with some of the attributes.  The attributes behave quite differently, and to properly understand many of them, you have to know the history of that attribute on that drive, and there's little to no SMART history available yet.  Give it a little more time, and I think there will be better SMART history kept, so that we can see how numbers are trending.  Some numbers may seem high, but if their climb to the current high value occurred a long time ago, then we usually don't care how high it is at the moment.

The fact that the Command timeout count is 8 is somewhat interesting but not useful, because we need to know if it has been 8 quite awhile, or if it is only recently 5, 6, 7, then 8.  And it's not that high yet, even at 8 and rising.  Check the SMART attributes again in a week or 2, to get a better idea of what it is doing.

Interesting.  Restarted my server today and the message popped up again.  But it was the same message...  command 8.  I've never received any other error messages...  i.e. have not seen command 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, or 7... 

http://my.jetscreenshot.com/12412/20150505-zxav-201kb

Thoughts?

Since you have never seens an email with 1-7, that attribute hasn't changed since you originally upgraded to 14.  You will always see that email on initial boots (dynamix lets you know the current value of certain attributes upon initial boots).  After the initial boots, you will only ever see when that attribute increases.  If you never get any further emails about it, I wouldn't worry about it.

Theres no defect.  The ui is simply reporting what the drive is telling it.  The raw value for command timeout on Seagate drives is really only meaningful to Seagate.  What you really want to watch is on the attributes page if the value is approaching the threshold.  (Assuming of course there are no drive errors listed in the syslog.