[DOCKER] unBALANCE

This app has been converted to a plugin. Check the plugin support thread for more information

Hi, I'm sharing a tool to free up space from one the array's disks, by moving folders/files to the other disks. I called it unBALANCE.

I'm publishing it as a Docker container, but it can also be installed to the flash drive. I will also try to make a plugin, if I can get around the plugin template syntax :)

Internally, it uses the diskmv script, developed by fellow member Freddie.

[removed installed instructions]

By default, it will do a dry-run, so you can check the output before committing to moving files around.

I will appreciate any feedback. Hopefully it will be useful to someone.

Attached is a screenshot of the main page (shown here running under a VirtualBox unRAID instance).

Known Issue

--

If you add/format a drive, it will not be recognized by unBALANCE unless you reboot the server or restart the docker service (stop all containers, then $ /etc/rc.d/rc.docker restart).

Thanks to derbtv and dnoyeb for their input on this.

History

--

2015-08-18 - v0.7.4

Add support for unRAID 6.1

2015-06-02 - v0.7.3

Show which folders won't be moved due to space restrictions

General bug fixes

2015-05-31 - v0.7.2

Remove logrotate script, to prevent triggering email notifications (since logrotate fails on the container for some reason)

2015-05-26 - v0.7.1

Add support for empty folders

Add support for single files in the root of user shares

Respect selection of "To" disks (user decides which disks are elegible as targets)

2015-05-17 - v0.6.8

Add support for spaces in folder names

2015-05-14 - v0.6.7

Mail notifications are now handled internally, they have to be entered in the Settings page

UI bugfixes

Additional logging

2015-05-09 - v0.6.3

Added mail notification when the operation completes. For this to work, unRAID's notification settings must be enabled

Now using the icon contributed by hernandito

2015-05-07 - v0.6.1

The GUI now handles browser refreshes. The log prior to the refresh will not be displayed, but new lines will be shown in the "console".

2015-05-03 - v0.5.1

Initial public version

unBALANCE.png.f0ba85b14ed6364cb9d8fdb2072a11d3.png

• Replies 234
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Very cool idea.  I can see this being used quite a bit.

Another use case which I could see getting A LOT of use would be for those wanting to change over their disks from RFS to XFS.  Not sure if this can be used for this purpose out-of-the-box, though.

Another use case which I could see getting A LOT of use would be for those wanting to change over their disks from RFS to XFS.  Not sure if this can be used for this purpose out-of-the-box, though.

Was just about to say I've been wanting to go from RFS to XFS.  Perfect application.

Was just about to say I've been wanting to go from RFS to XFS.  Perfect application.

Wish I'd have had this when I did my conversion.  It would have saved me quite a bit of time emptying that first 6TB drive.  Trying to find space to put everything it had on it. 

This is a very useful docker.

I just got 2 x 8TB drives and it makes moving data from my old drives to them very easy.

One question - I accidentally refreshed the unBALANCE page when a move was in progress. Is there anyway to get the little gui of the files moving to display again?

Not that its very important. I can check myself, but its nice to have to make sure nothing has got stuck or froze

Thanks alot lboregard

This is a very useful docker.

I just got 2 x 8TB drives and it makes moving data from my old drives to them very easy.

One question - I accidentally refreshed the unBALANCE page when a move was in progress. Is there anyway to get the little gui of the files moving to display again?

Not that its very important. I can check myself, but its nice to have to make sure nothing has got stuck or froze

Thanks alot lboregard

Thank you Manticore !

About the refresh, the gui won't show up again.

But it's not difficult to make it appear, when an operation is in progress. I'll post an update soon.

I cant seem to get it application work. Container is working.

When I go to the setting page, my movies are stored in /mnt/user/Media/Movies

I have tried entering both the full path above, and only /Media/Movies

Both times I get an message "Nothing to do" when I click on Calculate.

Any ideas?

Thanks.

I cant seem to get it application work. Container is working.

When I go to the setting page, my movies are stored in /mnt/user/Media/Movies

I have tried entering both the full path above, and only /Media/Movies

Both times I get an message "Nothing to do" when I click on Calculate.

Any ideas?

Thanks.

Try Media/Movies (without the leading slash). Shouldn't really be the issue, but nevertheless :)

On the dashboard page, you should check the "From" disk that you want to free up.

Is it possible that the "From" disk that the app is checking by default, is an empty disk ?

Another question, are your movies files under /mnt/user/Media/Movies or are they in separate folders ?

I've just upgraded the app, so that the GUI handles better, but none of the changes apply to your situation.

Please, let me know your findings.

Thank you...! I will give it a try later when I get to the system... My drives are not empty. My movies are organized like this:

/mnt/user/Media/Movies/

/Avatar/

/The Godfather/

The Godfather.mkv

... and so on.

Do you like this icon better for your Docker? I can create a banner for you as well if you like it better.

rPAzTsf.png

http://i.imgur.com/rPAzTsf.png

Many thanks for this!!

Thank you...! I will give it a try later when I get to the system... My drives are not empty. My movies are organized like this:

/mnt/user/Media/Movies/

/Avatar/

/The Godfather/

The Godfather.mkv

... and so on.

Do you like this icon better for your Docker? I can create a banner for you as well if you like it better.

rPAzTsf.png

http://i.imgur.com/rPAzTsf.png

Many thanks for this!!

pretty icon, but you need one where the scale isn't balanced.

If I change the icon in the "Edit container", Advanced View, and rebuild the container, the original old logo comes back. I have tried deleting images in /boot/config/plugins/Dockerman/images/ (I may have path a little wrong) but the old images always come back.

I have tried these in my repos, redoing the xml, renaming the xml... no matter what, old oles come back.

Any ideas how to make them refresh?

If I change the icon in the "Edit container", Advanced View, and rebuild the container, the original old logo comes back. I have tried deleting images in /boot/config/plugins/Dockerman/images/ (I may have path a little wrong) but the old images always come back.

I have tried these in my repos, redoing the xml, renaming the xml... no matter what, old oles come back.

build a complete new server from parts salvaged from the t1000

lol, if the file name has changed, find the xml for that docker on your flash and edit the icon section with the new file name.

When I updated the icons in my repo, the community repos updated upon clicking update repositories, but for the already installed containers, the only way to refresh them was to restart the server (only option I found)