About to upgrade from Athlon XP to I7-4790

stuart

Looking to migrate my server to new hardware.  I was wondering how well this part list would do?  Its going into a 12bay lian li, currently fitted with two 5x3 istarusa trayless HD cages.

i7-4790

Asrock Z97 Extreme6 Mobo

Corsair Vengeance 16B 2x8gb DDR3 1600

SeaSonic S12G 650W psu

Samsung 850 Evo 500GB SSD for cache and Windows VM

Plus a mixture of WD red green and black drives from my current server.  As they die, I will migrate towards red.  Parity is a 4TB red.

Buying a 3TB Red to go with the SSd, so I can test the new server plugins before migrating other drives over.

It will run Unraid, plex, sick/sab, couchpotato, dropbox, calibre docker, Windows 7 desktop VM...

Planning on onboard video.  My one thought was perhaps using a Xeon, but it seems that the Mobos that support ECC are more expensive than the cost diff between the i7 and xeon.  Plus with just 2 sticks of ram it shouldn't be an issue.  I am nervous about switching from Asus to Asrock.

Thoughts or ideas on this setup before I purchase?

I don't know how useful just one person's perspective is on the ASUS vs. Asrock quuestion, but I've ended up using Asrock boards in my last five builds.  I'm happy with the products I've purchased.  I've used MSI, ASUS, and Gigabyte, and from a consumer perspective Asrock holds up with all the other manufacturers.

I just realized I posted a similar build question while you had a very similar setup question. :-) About the memory, did you go with 1600mhz because it's more affordable or because there is no gain over 1866/2400mhz memory for an unraid setup? I also was wondering if I should go with an i7-4790k or a xeon 3 for cheaper... Let me know what you end up doing, it might influence my future build. ;-)

Archived