after Upgrade from 5.0.6 to 6beta15 – NFS just read only?

Hi all,

i had to upgrade yesterday after my rocksolid 5.0.6 flash thumb was blanked entirely :o after i clicked on update Phaze's BTSync plugin.  :'(

*UPDATE* there must be a bug in the copy party while updating BTSync, because i found my entire unraid system copied to the install directory of the BTSync plugin. from dev to boot to home and so on. everything was moved away to that config directory… now i got my rock solid boot folder 5.0.6 again. but the upgrade step is done ;)

pretty sad that my only backups were to old and were on my offline unraid server… (not so clever)

so i used the chance and reinstalled my usb flash drive with 6beta15. found an older config of my drives and now the parity check is already on 92% and finishing up.

now to my questions:

A) can i use some commands from the v5 go file to insert it to v6 go file? like sharing an external drive. do i have to know what is forbidden to re-use again?

B) my NFS exports are read only after the upgrade? nothing changed (export Yes, private, rule: *(rw,insecure)) and i'm on a Mac.

C) can i use the older "auto_s3_sleep.sh" script to get my HP N40L to sleep s3 mode? all other plugins and stuff never worked. just this script was all the years successful

thank you in advance.

Start by reading here:

http://lime-technology.com/wiki/index.php/Upgrading_to_UnRAID_v6

For all intends and proposes, all plugins from version 5 don't work in ver 6.  unMENU is the only one I know of BUT you have to get the latest version.  (In ver 6, most of what plugins were used for are now done in Docker containers.)

In most cases, a complete wipe of the Flash Drive will be the smoothest path for most people.  If what you have now has most of the original config directory intact, you should probably make a backup of the flash in its current state because the config folder will have the server configuration.  The files that you should copy over from the config folder  in doing the 'upgrade' are covered the WIKI article

Follow Frank1940's advice. Then take it slowly when adding things to V6. There is a lot to learn.

A) can i use some commands from the v5 go file to insert it to v6 go file? like sharing an external drive. do i have to know what is forbidden to re-use again?

Unassigned Devices

C) can i use the older "auto_s3_sleep.sh" script to get my HP N40L to sleep s3 mode? all other plugins and stuff never worked. just this script was all the years successful

Dynamix - V6 Plugins

for A) thank you for the auto mount plugin. already forgot about it.

still testing s3 sleep from dynamix for C) my HP N40L can't do a clean S3 sleep. not supported. so i configured it to shutdown instead (wake up with WOL)

i need urgent input for B) - still have no write rights with NFS - any ideas?

i need urgent input for B) - still have no write rights with NFS - any ideas?

Have a look at this WIKI:

http://lime-technology.com/wiki/index.php/UnRAID_Manual_6#User_Level_Security

Look where it says:  "If a share security level is set to Private (enabled), you will need to enter the list of users who may access the share. When a user attempts to connect to a share on your unRAID server, a dialog box will appear asking them to enter their user name and password before being granted access to shares. In addition, you can specify which users may access each share, as well as restrict access to read-only. "

As I read this, you are going to have first set up users and then allow them to access this share.  The indication is that all users will have Read/write access.  When I read the description (and it is not really clear) You may actually want the secure option as it apparently allows you to specify exactly what privileges each user has.

Sorry, but I don't have any 'users' on my server to be able to test what happens with the various  settings.  (I consider my environment to a trusted one and secure.  So all access is via the guest route.)

Play around a bit and see if you can figure it out. 

thx Frank but i know this already.

i have different user and different rights. all i'm saying is, that it stopped working with the same configuration by switching from 5.0.6 to 6beta15. suddenly i only have read rights. does anyone have the same experience and a fix? i can switch to public and everything is fine, but it should run with private. even secure does not work.

I have reached the end of my expertise as I never used NFS much.  (Only back in the days when the overheard of SMB caused problems with some of my media boxes.  SMB has come a long way in the past few years.  I know you may not be interested in that.)

Since there are not a lot of people still using it, you might be better served by either (1) changing the topic to reflect that you are now having issues with NFS or (2) start a new topic altogether.  Doing so should alert the folks who are still using NFS that someone is needing some help.

(Could be that you might actually have to post a 'Defect Report'.  I hope it does not come to that...)

thank you frank so far.

is SMB fixed and fast enough like NFS? cause that is the only reason that i use NFS (wifi stream of HD content to AppleTV with Plexconnect).

SMB and AFP were to slowly around unraid 4.7 and beyond. after that i never changed back from NFS.

maybe i should change back to SMB? is there a new speed comparison between the 3 protocols?

never the less, maybe someone has an idea why my NFS setup is not writing anymore. hope someone can help.

thank you frank so far.

is SMB fixed and fast enough like NFS? cause that is the only reason that i use NFS (wifi stream of HD content to AppleTV with Plexconnect).

SMB and AFP were to slowly around unraid 4.7 and beyond. after that i never changed back from NFS.

maybe i should change back to SMB? is there a new speed comparison between the 3 protocols?

never the less, maybe someone has an idea why my NFS setup is not writing anymore. hope someone can help.

Many people have switched from NFS to SBM and found it works well enough not to cause any issues. (I take all speed tests with a grain of salt as there are a lot of variables that have to be carefully controlled to get truly comparable numbers.)  That is the principal reason why no one can give you a definitive answer is the SMB adapts to match the capabilities in the versions of SBM on both ends of the connection.  It should not take you too long to see if SMB now works with your setup. 

Hopefully, someone will jump in and help straighten out the permissions problem...

looks like no one care about NFS…

One reason why:

http://appleinsider.com/articles/13/06/11/apple-shifts-from-afp-file-sharing-to-smb2-in-os-x-109-mavericks

and even in the Linux world, Samba is seems to be getting more  developer effort devoted to it than NFS.

One reason is seems to be that a connection via NFS requires knowing a lot of information about the server ip address and the mount point of the share on the server.  All of this is hidden in the SMB world (When it is working properly!).  I know I struggled the first time I had to do it and I do have a bit of understanding of UNIX.  I can only imagine what some poor soul from the Windows world trying to install a simple media player would be in for in trying to figure what is required!

thank you frank so far.

Yas, SMB it working well enough and fast enough. If the client has good SMB support I would certainly use it. Only in rare cases I use NFS. My networked BluRay player, that has lousy SMB support, now plays BluRay rips over NFS pretty well. I had to change some things on the server though.

can i switch from NFS to SMB without problems? i mean like file names etc.

I have never had an issue.  I assume that if Windows let's you name a file and you save it via Samba, the Linux operating system on the other end would not have a problem.

If the file with its name was created on the Linux system, you should not have any issue with Samba transferring it across the network.  Remember that you are changing from NFS to Samba, you are already on a Linux system on the media device and therefore both end devices are actually running Linux. So if the name was good on the unRAID server, there should not be an issue with Samba delivering the file name to the other end.  (Otherwise there would be a mountain of General Purpose Linux users screaming bloody murder at the Samba people!  ::)  )

now i maybe know the error with NFS write rights. its also happening with SMB, doesn't matter if Publich, Private, Secure.

i looked on to the shares with terminal and found that not every folder has the right user and group rights.

it should be nobody:users but sometimes its 501:games

how can i revert all folder rights to nobody:users by terminal/ shell? i think that is the whole problem

now i maybe know the error with NFS write rights. its also happening with SMB, doesn't matter if Publich, Private, Secure.

i looked on to the shares with terminal and found that not every folder has the right user and group rights.

it should be nobody:users but sometimes its 501:games

how can i revert all folder rights to nobody:users by terminal/ shell? i think that is the whole problem

Go to the 'Tools' tab  on the GUI.  Look at the line for 'unRAID OS', you will see a 'New Permissions' icon there.  Run that script.  Depending on  the number of folders and files, it may take a long time to run.  (In the past, there was no indication that it had finished except that the prompt returned.  I think that situation was addressed.)

You next problem will be to figure out what program (or user) is writing the files with that owner. 

thnx frank, i did this on both discs but it didnt help.

thnx trurl, it did fix the subdir back again to users:nobody. now i do it on the whole user share directory. for SMB this did the trick.

BUT: i still don't have write rights with NFS.

UPDATE: i deactivated NFS because the newperms fixed the drive for SMB and i don't need NFS anymore (no WDTV media player connected anymore).