AFP Settings

I am using unRAIDServer-6.0-beta15-x86_64 with Apple MacBook running Yosemite.

Because I am an Apple user I want/need to activate ATP.

I have -> Settings -> AFP and Enabled AFP

Then I have -> Shares -> doubled clicked on Share -> AFP Security Settings -> Security

In the Help notes it states:

"Note: Private security is available only with ''Plus'' and ''Pro'' registration."

I am only using the Trial (free) version but it has allowed me to choose "Private" in the Security settings and clicking "Apply" has seem to have worked!!??

My question is which is correct??

Is the Note correct and Private is not in force?? Or the fact that I have been able to select Private means that Private is in force??

Is there a way to check whether Private is in force for AFP??

I was going to disable SMB (as I have AFP). Any problems generally in disabling SMB??

Many thanks.

Yosemite uses SMB by default. AFP is depreciated for file sharing and is only required for TimeMachine backups. I only use AFP for TM backups; creating a separate share for each TM client.

Create a new user and connect to the server as the new user. A Private share should not be accessible to the new user.

I am afraid that you haven't actually answered my question in my original post, viz:

My question is which is correct??

Is the Note correct and Private is not in force?? Or the fact that I have been able to select Private means that Private is in force??

Is there a way to check whether Private is in force for AFP??

I use Carbon Copy Cloner (CCC) for backups and I found that with SMB CCC could not create disk image on the unRAID server - I suppose that it is analogous to Time Machine which also requires AFP??

If I am enabling AFP I cannot see any requirement for SMB - am I missing something??

Many thanks.

I Use CCC with a sparseimage on SMB and have never had an issue. I've found it to be more reliable than TM on AFP which requires a fresh start once or twice a year.

I don't have a basic installation but I've provided instructions that allow you to test the behavior by creating a new unRAID user.

I Use CCC with a sparseimage on SMB and have never had an issue. I've found it to be more reliable than TM on AFP which requires a fresh start once or twice a year.

I don't have a basic installation but I've provided instructions that allow you to test the behavior by creating a new unRAID user.

Interesting - I use CCC and have just set up a disk to use timemachine. I would prefer to use CCC but I was wondering how would you do a bare metal recovery from a sparseimage on unraid?. Is it easy just to recover one file from the sparseimage?

regards

Tony

Sorry now I understand how you are saying to test private.

However still having problems in creating sparse bundle disk image via SMB.

I am using CCC v 4.1.1 with OS X Yosemite. My unRAID is unRAIDServer-6.0-beta15-x86_64.

When I set up the CCC task under SMB with a sparse bundle disk image as the destination on the unRAID server, CCC generates the following error message:

"The volume that you chose to save the disk image upon does not support the sparse bundle disk image format.

Please choose another disk image format or save the disk image to another volume. If the system that hosts the underlying sharepoint supports AFP, you can try remounting that sharepoint via AFP to get support for sparsebundle disk images. Click on the "?" button below for additional information."

The additional information is at: https://www.bombich.com/kb/ccc4/backing-up-disk-image

So the result I am getting seems to be as expected.

I don't understand how you are creating sparse bundle disk images under SMB unless either (i) your OS X predates Mavericks or (ii) you are creating sparse disk images rather than sparse bundle disk images??

In passing note that Time Machine uses sparse bundle disk image.

However many thanks for your help.

Interesting - I use CCC and have just set up a disk to use timemachine. I would prefer to use CCC but I was wondering how would you do a bare metal recovery from a sparseimage on unraid?. Is it easy just to recover one file from the sparseimage?

regards

Tony

Recovering one file is simple. Bare metal recovery requires several more steps than TM and possibly booting from a flash drive...

Sorry now I understand how you are saying to test private.

However still having problems in creating sparse bundle disk image via SMB.

I am using CCC v 4.1.1 with OS X Yosemite. My unRAID is unRAIDServer-6.0-beta15-x86_64.

When I set up the CCC task under SMB with a sparse bundle disk image as the destination on the unRAID server, CCC generates the following error message:

"The volume that you chose to save the disk image upon does not support the sparse bundle disk image format.

Please choose another disk image format or save the disk image to another volume. If the system that hosts the underlying sharepoint supports AFP, you can try remounting that sharepoint via AFP to get support for sparsebundle disk images. Click on the "?" button below for additional information."

The additional information is at: https://www.bombich.com/kb/ccc4/backing-up-disk-image

So the result I am getting seems to be as expected.

I don't understand how you are creating sparse bundle disk images under SMB unless either (i) your OS X predates Mavericks or (ii) you are creating sparse disk images rather than sparse bundle disk images??

In passing note that Time Machine uses sparse bundle disk image.

However many thanks for your help.

I'm using a sparseimage.

Recovering one file is simple. Bare metal recovery requires several more steps than TM and possibly booting from a flash drive...

Thanks, I did some research and finally understood the process!. I have set up a share using AFP and using CCC with sparseimagebundle.

Finally I will be able to get rid of the osx bug that spins up my external backup hdd in Finder