Unable to write to cache now

Was working all of a sudden, and now I can't copy and paste files to my cache drive. No issues with other disks. No issues via putty also (root). Is this some permissions issue? How do I set it back? My apps are all failing because they can't write to cache drive, and in some cases, configuration data files lost/corrupted

Was working all of a sudden, and now I can't copy and paste files to my cache drive. No issues with other disks. No issues via putty also (root). Is this some permissions issue? How do I set it back? My apps are all failing because they can't write to cache drive, and in some cases, configuration data files lost/corrupted

Perhaps it has been made read-only due to file system corruption. Post a syslog.

There doesn't seems to be an event in the syslog, and now the cache drive seems ok. there are no drives errors as well.. i've backup-ed my cache drive. only my downloaded files are lost (but I can download them again :() fingers crossed for now

Looks like it came back. Just got back home, and my config files (spanning several apps!) are missing again.

Try to grab the full syslog, but it's 0kb. Somethin is not right now. I'm on unraid 5.0.6. Any idea? What could be causing this? Plugins?

Yea I have been using it for a long time without any issues now with plex, transmission, sickbeard etc. It's definitely a cache folder/drive that I'm using and I don't think it's the mover moving my app files away.

Moreover, it doesn't make sense if my syslog is 0kb after a whole night/day.. Something scary is going on around here..

You are right. The mover MOVED MY FILES! OMG IM SO HAPPY... BUT HOW? WHY? It was on cache all the while!

There are 2 criteria to stop mover from moving the files:

• The share must be set to be cache-only
  • There must not be any top level folder on any of the data disks corresponding to the share name.  Fixing this may require you to move files back from a data drive to the cache drive.

so if I wanted to store my config files in /mnt/cache/apps/pluginhere,

i need to make sure all my /mnt/disk* does not contain /mnt/disk*/apps? if I specific /mnt/cache i don't have to deal with any of the shares folder stuff right?

so if I wanted to store my config files in /mnt/cache/apps/pluginhere,

i need to make sure all my /mnt/disk* does not contain /mnt/disk*/apps?

Correct

if I specific /mnt/cache i don't have to deal with any of the shares folder stuff right?

Not quite true.    Any top level folder is automatically turned into a share (even on the cache drive), so you still have to make sure the settings for that share are set to be cache-only if you do not want the files moved off the cache.

Go to the shares page. You will see that there is already a share named for that folder even though you did not create a share. That share has default settings. You need to go to the entry labeled Use cache and set it to ONLY.

And move or delete all of those folders from your other drives as itimpi said.

Still concerned about you 0KB syslog though. Exactly where are you seeing that?

Thanks guys. Appreciate the help. Im not sure why the syslog is 0kb and isn't being written, but I've restarted and it seems to be working again. Now I'm slowly restoring back the apps. so far only couchpotato and sonarr wouldnt start for some reason but they are not important (for now).

Archived