Increase vdisk

I started with an initial setup of 40gb to play around. Now everything is working i would like to expand the VM disk size to 150gb.

How does one do this in the VM manager? Tried to add an additional vdisk, but unraid is giving me an error message that i am creating an unsupported configuration.

• Upvote 1

I started with an initial setup of 40gb to play around. Now everything is working i would like to expand the VM disk size to 150gb.

How does one do this in the VM manager? Tried to add an additional vdisk, but unraid is giving me an error message that i am creating an unsupported configuration.

I did this recently when toying around.

Think you just click on the vm 'name', this will give you a dropdown of the disks and iso images contained in the vm, then click on the vdisk size entry itself, in your case the 40G figure, and voila you'll be given an edit option to change the size.

Not sure if thats the 'official' way to extend the size but it certainlty worked.

• Like 10
  • Thanks 4
  • Upvote 2
  • 1 month later...

Also, instead of putting in an absolute size, you can also do this:

qemu-img resize vdisk1.img +5G

That would simply grow the image from its current size by 5GB.

*Running RC4.

I just came across this post because I too have the need to grow a VM .img file a little. I have always been used to doing this from the command line BUT I was interested to try the GUI route. However, no matter what menu I selected no matter where I clicked I couldn't find the size setting of the "existing" .img file to change. Has this been removed recently or am I just blind.

That command worked like a charm. I DID have to do some partition fiddling within the Windows 10 VM as Windows created a recovery partition after the main system partition which stopped me from extending. AND for some reason Windows 10 doesn't want to let me delete it. So for those who come across this post who have a similar issue I used this free tool.

http://www.easeus.com/partition-manager/epm-free.html

They "Push" their paid versions obviously but this free version (not trial) should work fine.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Yep, got it now. I was clicking the icon and bring up then menu. I didn't pick up (despite clearly reading it several times) the "name" of the VM was a link to another menu too, which of course you describe. Just tried it out and works as advertised.

Still needed the partition tool for within Windows - that stupid recovery partition they put directly after the system partition which needs to be deleted (and wonderfully they remove the ability to remove it in the windows disk utility) as it prevents resizing into available space is a pain in the bum! But that isn't an Unraid issue.

Thank you  :)

• 1 year later...
  • 2 months later...
On 5/5/2015 at 10:14 PM, jonp said:

Also, instead of putting in an absolute size, you can also do this:

That would simply grow the image from its current size by 5GB.

is this going to always increase the VM size by 5GB every time it reaches a threshold space warning?

• Upvote 1
  • 2 months later...

Hi everyone 

I was able to shrink something like: qemu-img resize vdisk1.img -5G

The only problem I've got is the initial size in Windows VM remains the same. I don't see the option to change it from VM settings in unRaid as someone suggested earlier. 

I'm running unRaid 6.3.5 so I can see only Primary vDisk Location and reference to the vmdisk file in the settings.

Also I can't find that setting in the XML file

<disk type='file' device='disk'>
      <driver name='qemu' type='raw' cache='writeback'/>
      <source file='/mnt/user/vm_disks/Windows 10/vdisk1.img'/>
      <target dev='hdc' bus='virtio'/>
      <boot order='1'/>
      <address type='pci' domain='0x0000' bus='0x00' slot='0x04' function='0x0'/>
    </disk>

So how to modify the size of the drive then?

• 3 months later...

I must be missing a step. When I change the size of the disk in unRaid and then reboot Windows 10 it is still telling me that I am out of space and the VM is not recognizing the additional space. I started the VM with 60G, I have increased it in unRaid to 100G as listed above and get nothing. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

3 hours ago, GaltsGulch said:

Thanks for the quick response. I have tried what you suggested but when I am in Disk Mgmt the option to extend the volume is grayed out. I guess I will need to try some other options for extending the drives.

Make sure that you run the Action to rescan disks.   I found that this was necessary to get the extra space seen.   I\

• 2 weeks later...

so far having a issuse , with new vm setup of a sierra mac load , from my mac to unraid , running fine , but went to increase vdisk amount , in unraid no problem , vdisk was in creased in the os , i try over and over and still stays at 40gb , for the vdisk main partition , but the top main disk shows the correct amount but it is free .... and os wont let me install anything else , i have plenty of room on the system ..ie... ssd caches, and storages ,... only trying to incress the mac boot disk to 250gb , from 40 .... 

• Upvote 1
  • 3 weeks later...

The method mentioned above by click on the VM name doesn't appear to work anymore. Is this true? OR am I missing something?

EDIT: OK. I have expanded the vdisk using the command line but when trying the extend the volume in windows, it is greyed out. Does anyone know how to get around this?

Edited by WexfordStyle
  • 1 month later...
  • 6 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Great, thanks, after the shutdown, all works well.

I have a small question. I am now using basically all of the NVME, but I guess a few GBs are unused. I have a 1 TB disk and using two VMs with 750GB and 250GB respectively. By what amount do I need to increase to make sure to fully use the disk. I know it doesn't really matter, but I found it nicer and cleaner to go to 100.0% usage rather than 99.99% usage. Is there some command to do this?

• 9 months later...
On 10/12/2018 at 8:48 AM, steve1977 said:

Great, thanks, after the shutdown, all works well.

I have a small question. I am now using basically all of the NVME, but I guess a few GBs are unused. I have a 1 TB disk and using two VMs with 750GB and 250GB respectively. By what amount do I need to increase to make sure to fully use the disk. I know it doesn't really matter, but I found it nicer and cleaner to go to 100.0% usage rather than 99.99% usage. Is there some command to do this?

Any thoughts how I can accomplish above?

• 4 months later...