Increase vdisk

On 7/13/2019 at 3:14 AM, steve1977 said:

Any thoughts how I can accomplish above?

I suspect that you may already have slightly over-committed the available space due to the fact that the SSD size will be using decimal units (where K = 1000) and the size you set for the vdisk is binary units (where K = 1024).   When using vdisks a little spare space is always a good idea as you can start getting strange errors in a VM if all available space on the underlying file system is used.

• 5 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
On 12/30/2019 at 10:36 AM, black296tuuk said:

I was able to fix the greyed out "extend partition" in Windows 10 by downloading a free third party partition tool for windows. Odd that Windows disk manager cant address the issue but a free tool can.

In case if anyone facing the same, this solve the problem. 

NOTE: in my case, i use MiniTool Partition Wizard (free version)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

Right click My PC>  Manage. On the left drop down Storage> Disk Management> Right click the Unallocated space. And it give you option to run "New Simple Volume Wizard". It'll ask you the size you want to format it to (NTFS is default). And run. Restart. I was able to finish installing drivers :)

You can also change the default installation location from you main 😄 drive to your new partition: https://winbuzzer.com/2020/07/01/how-to-change-the-default-app-install-location-in-windows-10-xcxwbt/

Edited by xlucero1
  • 2 months later...

For those that are increasing a Windows 10/11 VM, you do not need to download a 3rd party partition utility. Windows comes with a built-in utility called diskpart that will delete the Recovery partition for you. It is not difficult to use.

1. Open a command prompt as Administrator.
  2. Type diskpart and press Enter.
  3. Find the disk number for your OS, usually disk 0 with the command list disk. You will see at least one disk listed.
  4. Make sure to select the correct disk. Assuming your OS is Disk 0, enter command select disk 0.
  5. Now, we need to list the partitions. Enter the command list part.
  6. If you used the default setup when installing Windows you likely have 4 partitions and the Recovery partition is Partition 4. So select it with the command select partition 4.
  7. Now, to delete use the command delete partition override.
  8. Lastly, right-click the Start menu, and select Disk Management. You should be able to Extend Volume by right-clicking on the C partition. Follow the wizard to complete.
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • 3 weeks later...
On 10/10/2022 at 6:48 PM, Eddie Seelke said:

For those that are increasing a Windows 10/11 VM, you do not need to download a 3rd party partition utility. Windows comes with a built-in utility called diskpart that will delete the Recovery partition for you. It is not difficult to use.

1. Open a command prompt as Administrator.
  2. Type diskpart and press Enter.
  3. Find the disk number for your OS, usually disk 0 with the command list disk. You will see at least one disk listed.
  4. Make sure to select the correct disk. Assuming your OS is Disk 0, enter command select disk 0.
  5. Now, we need to list the partitions. Enter the command list part.
  6. If you used the default setup when installing Windows you likely have 4 partitions and the Recovery partition is Partition 4. So select it with the command select partition 4.
  7. Now, to delete use the command delete partition override.
  8. Lastly, right-click the Start menu, and select Disk Management. You should be able to Extend Volume by right-clicking on the C partition. Follow the wizard to complete.

Do you have any step by step guide like this one for allocation more disk space on Ubuntu VM?