Running cat6 cables, some questions

fatal

Just bought a new house and I'm going to be making some runs throughout the house from the basement and had a couple of questions.

1.  Stranded or Solid cables for the runs?

- These will be long runs throughout the house...i'm guessing use Solid cables for in wall runs and stranded for connections from the PC to the connectors?

2. Terminators/Keystones

- I want to use the Punchdown type keystones to terminate in the rooms for the wallplates (i've read that the tool-less ones don't work as well)...but monoprice only offers the cat5e RJ45 110 Type 90...would that make a difference if i'm running cat6 cable?

3. Patch Panel

- In the basement I want to install this Cat6 Patch Panel.

My understanding is that you terminate the ends here in the patch panel, and then run normal stranded cat6 cables from the patch panel to the switch.

Those are really the only questions I had...if i missed or overlooked something please let me know.

I've never done this before so sorry if these are simple questions.

Thanks

Congrats on the new house!

Solid wire is used for fixed installations like in walls, the stranded is used for patch cords.

Some things to keep in mind about the wiring. There is a wire gauge difference between cat 5 and cat 6 wire. Cat 5 is a smaller gauge (I wan to say 24 gauge) and CAT 6 is 22-24Gauge. This comes into play when using connectors/punchdowns. Try not to mix technologies, the size difference is enough to cause headaches when punching down or putting on connectors. Using cat6 connectors for instance with cat5 wire will result in loose punchdowns or insufficient piercing of the insulation for connectors. Also, cat5 and cat6 are rated at different frequencies, the mixing of techonologies again can cause weird reflections from endpoints that werent rated at the higher frequencies.

The patch panel is a great idea, just pay attention to the twists in the cable and try to keep them twisted (as they were in the sheathing) all the way to the punchdown. This will help with noise rejection and just provide a better interconnect.

DQ

• 5 months later...

Use only solidcore cables in the walls. don't mix cat6 with cat5e cables, avoid cat5 at all. use only cat6 if you have to run the cables in parallel to some mains and other high voltages. if you have runs longer than about 30m, use only cat6. the patchpanel is good. run to each wallplate two cables to a two socket plate, you never know what you would use those cables for. two cables allow for full-HD, also to connect a router device (input and output) which is located in another room to the switch which would be in the basement. the 2nd cable may also be good for telefone or just as a backup (like POE equipment, anything like that).