[Plugin] IPMI for unRAID 6.1+

Does anyone have any suggestions for OTHER fan control scripts compatible with SuperMicro boards?  I don't have much interest in spending any more time with this plugin as I don't see member queries getting any traction and updates to the plugin to fix issues don't seem to be forthcoming.

If I can't find anything, I think I'll end up bypassing any software control and move to a completely external control solution.

Edited by Espressomatic
5 hours ago, Espressomatic said:

Does anyone have any suggestions for OTHER fan control scripts compatible with SuperMicro boards?  I don't have much interest in spending any more time with this plugin as I don't see member queries getting any traction and updates to the plugin to fix issues don't seem to be forthcoming.

If I can't find anything, I think I'll end up bypassing any software control and move to a completely external control solution.

If you can get fan control for your board working via an ipmi terminal command (or really any terminal command), I can tell you how to modify the plugin to support your board. 

So I have the X570D4U-2L2T motherboard and I keep getting this errors? Also ipmi is extremely slow and frustrating to login to can this be fixed some how? Is there any specific config I need to do to be able to se the sensors on this board? Can someone please tell me how to do it :)

image.png.609321739508e398264166e7231f2d35.png

Edited by Michel Amberg
  • Upvote 1
3 hours ago, Gunny said:

If you can get fan control for your board working via an ipmi terminal command (or really any terminal command), I can tell you how to modify the plugin to support your board. 

Oooh! I'd love that info for use with my Dell T420. :)

I'm able to set fan speeds at will via IPMI. Maybe I could tweak this plugin with your help to work?

That would be fantastic!

• 1 month later...

Hi,

thanks for the Plugin. Have a Supermicro X9DRI - everything in the Background seems to work but:

- Unter IPMI/Settings i cannot change Network to "YES". After klicking Apply nothing happens. Network still "No" (I got the IPMI-Values - do i need to have this "On"?

- Display-Settings: I uncheck N/A-Fans, for example Nr 3 and 4. Klick Apply. Same Selection. Klick Done. Go back, Deselected Fans are selected again.

- Unable to set any footer-settings: Nothing seems to be stored after "Apply".

- Fan-Control: It shows the RPMs of Group 12(34) and A(B). The Selection-Field shows "Auto" - and there is nothing to change here, no pulldown-menu.

Is there anything broken concerning permissions?

best regards

Carsten

• 1 month later...

I'm running unRAID as a VM under ESXi on a SuperMicro X11 mobo. I hit an issue of the IPMI agent not starting at all without showing any errors whatsoever. Took me quite some time to solve, so here's what I found, in the hopes of helping someone:

- The text showing "Connection Successful" on the config page doesn't really tell much. I don't actually think it tries to log in with the given username and password. I changed the password to something definitely wrong and it still showed "Connection Successful".

- The password has a maximum length of 16 characters. I found that out by testing the connection from the command line through ipmisel, which showed an error "password is too long". My password was 18 characters, which caused the service to fail silently. Creating a new user with a 16-char password in my IPMI console fixed that. 

• Like 1
On 1/2/2022 at 5:09 PM, Gunny said:

Damn, I didn't see this reply until today.  So the plugin hadn't been working for months and then out of the blue sometime in the past 4-6 weeks it started to work - still the same version of the plugin, no unraid version update. I have plugins and a few dockers set to automatically update but can't think of anything that would have affected IPMI.

As I don't regularly access the WebUI, I just happened to see the HDD and CPU temp + fan speed displayed in the footer one day. And it was glorious. Had to run to the basement immediately to confirm everything was whisper quiet again. 

Edited by Espressomatic
  • 3 weeks later...

I am running into an issue with getting IPMI Tools to work on my server. Currently I am running 6.10.rc4 and my mobo is a Supermicro X9DRD-iF. 

I can log into the IPMI ui just fine via my LAN ip and can access all of the pages. I have installed the ipmitool from Nerdpack and I can use that command just fine from terminal. I can install the IPMI Tools plugin but when I try and save my configuration (ip address, user/pass, mobo setup) and click save I immediately get this line:

image.thumb.png.04fb1159992c2ca92ccbf0e7900d273f.png

I have verified the ipmi_options.php file exists and the /boot/config/plugins/ipmi/ipmi.cfg file is being properly populated based on my entries in the setup page.

I did some troubleshooting with the helpful folks on the unraid discord but to no avail so I turn to the brain trust of the forums to hopefully shed some more light on this problem :)

Edited by Davo1624
12 minutes ago, Davo1624 said:

I am running into an issue with getting IPMI Tools to work on my server. Currently I am running 6.10.rc4 and my mobo is a Supermicro X9DRD-iF. 

I can log into the IPMI ui just fine via my LAN ip and can access all of the pages. I have installed the ipmitool from Nerdpack and I can use that command just fine from terminal. I can install the IPMI Tools plugin but when I try and save my configuration (ip address, user/pass, mobo setup) and click save I immediately get this line:

image.thumb.png.04fb1159992c2ca92ccbf0e7900d273f.png

I have verified the ipmi_options.php file exists and the /boot/config/plugins/ipmi/ipmi.cfg file is being properly populated based on my entries in the setup page.

I did some troubleshooting with the helpful folks on the unraid discord but to no avail so I turn to the brain trust of the forums to hopefully shed some more light on this problem :)

Are you trying to use enable network connections option?

if yes you need IP user and password.

but I dont have that enabled and it works fine on my X10(RC4) and X9(6.9.2)

This is my X10.

image.thumb.png.ac9c0aa13379cb9ad2a678149e0d95ee.png image.thumb.png.f139a6fe2e19e40d93f8154266bcc76c.png

• Thanks 1
39 minutes ago, SimonF said:

Are you trying to use enable network connections option?

if yes you need IP user and password.

This is my X10.

image.thumb.png.ac9c0aa13379cb9ad2a678149e0d95ee.png image.thumb.png.f139a6fe2e19e40d93f8154266bcc76c.png

Yes I had network mode enabled and had also entered my user/password which were being properly saved in the ipmi.cfg file.

If I leave network mode disabled and don't enter any user/pass it seems to work and I get the IPMI window in the unraid dashboard.

2 minutes ago, Davo1624 said:

Yes I had network mode enabled and had also entered my user/password which were being properly saved in the ipmi.cfg file.

If I leave network mode disabled and don't enter any user/pass it seems to work and I get the IPMI window in the unraid dashboard.

Did you put in an IP address, needs all 3 parts you could use 127.0.0.1

$netopts = ($netsvc === 'enable') ? '--always-prefix -h '.escapeshellarg($ipaddr).' -u '.escapeshellarg($user).' -p '.

escapeshellarg(base64_decode($password))." --session-timeout=5000 --retransmission-timeout=1000" : '';

Just now, SimonF said:

Did you put in an IP address, needs all 3 parts you could use 127.0.0.1

$netopts = ($netsvc === 'enable') ? '--always-prefix -h '.escapeshellarg($ipaddr).' -u '.escapeshellarg($user).' -p '.

escapeshellarg(base64_decode($password))." --session-timeout=5000 --retransmission-timeout=1000" : '';

Yes, I entered the ip (192.168.1.21) which is set as static as well as the user/password.

I verified all three are correct by logging into ipmi directly using the same ip and credentials without issue.

12 minutes ago, Davo1624 said:

Yes, I entered the ip (192.168.1.21) which is set as static as well as the user/password.

I verified all three are correct by logging into ipmi directly using the same ip and credentials without issue.

maybe the base64 decode is failing, any special chars you are using.

Not sure why.

46 minutes ago, Davo1624 said:

No I am using the default Supermicro IPMI user/pass.

Not sure either but it seems to be working just fine without the network portion enabled

I get the same issue on RC4 on my X10 is I put IP and standard user/password. works fine on my X9 on 6.9.2 will look to see if I can fix.

It is the password field that is causing the issue.

Edited by SimonF
2 hours ago, SimonF said:

I get the same issue on RC4 on my X10 is I put IP and standard user/password. works fine on my X9 on 6.9.2 will look to see if I can fix.

It is the password field that is causing the issue.

Ah okay good to know. For what it's worth if I enable localhost bit disable network I can enter my user/pass just fine

On 4/3/2022 at 5:43 PM, SimonF said:

Thanks for that Simon. 👍

I came here to check if I was the only one having issues in 6.10.0RC4 and that information allowed me to get my server quiet again. Since it seats in my living room 5 meters from my desk, that's great !  :D 

• Like 1
  • 4 weeks later...
3 hours ago, JorgeB said:

"Readings" page is not opening for me since updating to v6.10.0-rc4/5, it's happening with multiple servers, so I assume it's a plugin issue?

Hi Jorge are you seeing message like this or just no data blank screens?

Fatal error: escapeshellarg(): Input string contains NULL bytes in /usr/local/emhttp/plugins/ipmi/include/ipmi_settings_fan.php on line 73

The base64_decode is returning NULL tested just removing the function and it works but not sure other issues that may occur