[Plugin] IPMI for unRAID 6.1+

• 4 weeks later...

After updating to 6.10 fan detection doesn't work. It recognizes randomly 0-2 fans out of 6. Motherboard ASRock X470D4U. On 6.9 it worked correctly.

Also Reading page not opening from the plugin but I can open it through tools.

Edited by SuberSeb
  • 2 weeks later...
On 1/3/2022 at 3:29 AM, Elmojo said:

Oooh! I'd love that info for use with my Dell T420. :)

I'm able to set fan speeds at will via IPMI. Maybe I could tweak this plugin with your help to work?

That would be fantastic!

Also keen on getting something going for my Dell Poweredge R530...

I am seeing high CPU temps with the fans only ramping up to like 2500rpm.
I've tried setting a minimum in IDRAC but then it ALWAYS runs at that speed, even during low temps.

Found this: https://github.com/nmaggioni/r710-fan-controller

But the Plugin works great so far for reading, now just need to set Fan speeds...

• Like 1
1 hour ago, valiente said:

Also keen on getting something going for my Dell Poweredge R530...

I am seeing high CPU temps with the fans only ramping up to like 2500rpm.
I've tried setting a minimum in IDRAC but then it ALWAYS runs at that speed, even during low temps.

Found this: https://github.com/nmaggioni/r710-fan-controller

But the Plugin works great so far for reading, now just need to set Fan speeds...

Thanks for that script link, I may give it a try on my T420! :)
Please let me know if you get it working on your PE. I have mine running on a fixed level setting, and it's working okay so far, but I eventually intend to move my server to an unmonitored space, and I'd love to have it self-adjust the fan speed as necessary for the local temps.

UPDATE: OK, just managed to get the plugin to work with the H11SSL-i. Had to change from Network to Localhost. At least now I'm not getting bombarded with credentials notifications. Still would be nice to be able to see the limited data from the DAS controller as well, but that's pretty minor and my OCD will just have to learn to tolerate it.

Is there any reason why this won't work with a Supermicro H11SSL-i? This is an AMD Epyc single cpu motherboard. I tried using the settings for a X11 but it constantly errors with a invalid user name/password. I've configured the user name and password with the same credentials used for the IP login to the IPMI management page. I had been using it with my Supermicro CSE-PTJBOD-CB3 DAS conversion board using the x9 settings and it worked fine for that system. But now that I have the H11 board, it has more sensors that I'd prefer to monitor.

Any suggestions? Also, is there any way to monitor two IPMI systems at the same time? Since the H11SSL-i and my CSE-PTJBOD-CB3 are both part of my media unRAID, it would be nice to monitor both. Thanks!

Edited by AgentXXL
? about dual IPMI monitoring/update
  • 2 weeks later...

Hello All, 

I just got my hands on a 2U Supermicro Ultra 6028U-TR4+ with X10DRU-i+. On this server I have the latest UNRaid version, I don't have a FANA or FANB, I have Fans 1-8, I was able to kind of get a few fans working right, but two, which were screaming like banshees. 

The stock fans run at 9500rpm, if I could get them down to 3000rpms that would be gravy but I'd take 3500rpms. I have looked at the config file to see if I could make sense, of the fan threshold configs, but I'm going to be honest, it's just not making sense to me. 

If anyone would spare sometime to break it down for an old guy like me, I'd be more than grateful. 

Thanking you all in advance.

(before I forget, I initially was able to see the Reading tab, then I couldn't anymore)

Edited by gyrene2083

Ok so with a little help from someone at TrueNas, I was able to figure out that there are two zones. I used this to find out how from console; (These are the commands that worked for my Mobo in my sig)

I ran

ipmitool sdr | grep FAN

that gave me the Fan headers and the RPMs

I then set Zone1 to 100%

ipmitool raw 0x30 0x70 0x66 0x01 0x00 100

then I set the duty cycle for Zone1 to 50%

ipmitool raw 0x30 0x70 0x66 0x01 0x00 50

I then checked the fan speed with

ipmitool sdr | grep FAN

It showed Fans1-4 to be at 50% 

I then increased Zone1 to 100% and proceeded to put Zone2 to 100%

ipmitool raw 0x30 0x70 0x66 0x01 0x01 100

I then dropped Zone2 to 50% (just change 0x00 to 0x01)

I then found Fans5-8 to be Zone2. 

So with that out of the way, here is my problem, I don't have a FANA, and that doesn't show up when I installed the plugin. Is there something I can do to configure it to see Zone2 (Fans5-8)?

I appreciate all the help.

On 5/25/2022 at 12:50 PM, SuberSeb said:

After updating to 6.10 fan detection doesn't work. It recognizes randomly 0-2 fans out of 6. Motherboard ASRock X470D4U. On 6.9 it worked correctly.

same here, anyone know how to fix this?

• 2 weeks later...

I cant change the Thresholds for the fans in the config, everytime i get the error:

IPMI Sensors Configuration
Value '400.000000' for key 'Lower_Non_Critical_Threshold' in section '808_FAN_1' cannot be encoded accurately, try another value
Value '250.000000' for key 'Lower_Critical_Threshold' in section '808_FAN_1' cannot be encoded accurately, try another value

Edited by Meannekes
  • 1 month later...
On 2/8/2021 at 3:56 AM, Saeros said:

Yeah, and my board has an additional FAN B port so i was wondering if it can be controlled individually.

Was this ever addressed? I Have a FAN B header I'd like to control as well. 

Edit: Apparently I did use FAN A, I just didn't have the minimum fan speed set high enough to deal with the splitter.  Once I set the min fan speed high enough, I could see the fan RPM.  Without it high enough, I guess it just defaults to certain set speed. Still would be interested to know how to get Fan B if needed.

Edited by tential
  • Upvote 1
  • 3 weeks later...
On 5/25/2022 at 6:50 AM, SuberSeb said:

For me it isn't working at all. I have the same motherboard. And I can see the RPM readings of my fans in the menu. But when I press configure to get the configuration set up, it will just list all Fans as 'none'. I updated my BMC to the latest version as Asrock was saying it fixed something related to the fan controls. But this has not resolved the issue.

Any information on what I can do to get the fan's adjust based on harddrive temperatures? That is all I need to fix at the moment, so these stop cooking

• 3 weeks later...

I updated from 6.9.2 to 6.10.3 and the plugin broke for me. Can't click on Readings, and Reset BMC no longer functions. Fan control works if enable network connections is off in settings (not sure if that's intended). Wonky.

Edit: Found that the readings page can be accessed through Tools thankfully that helps!

Edited by slimshizn
Reasons
On 4/11/2021 at 8:53 AM, cakes044 said:

That’s right. I remember the ipmi2json not being quite smooth had to do some manual switches to get it to work.

Once the board.json is configured the ipmifan will just work fine now 👌🏼

Glad to see it working :)

Please, would you be so kind and share your 

board.json

ipmi2json

and

ipmifan

files? Can't get the plugin working properly with my X570D4U. Fans are  already set to manual via BMC.

So, after rebooting my system (X11SSH-F, e3-1285v6) and starting the array the cpu immediately overheated and throttled. This has never happened before.

After a few reboots I realized that three of the four sensors (except the hard drive temp) disappeared from the footer as soon as the array came online. After more investigation, I discovered that after starting the array all of the sensors go missing from the Display Settings: Global Available Sensors and Dashboard Sensors dropdowns (except HDD Temperature). The Footer Settings similarly only include HDD Temperature. The Fan Control: Fan Settings only has Hard Drives to Poll and nothing else. Finally, the logfile only has a button that says, undefined.

Once the array started, communication appears to be lost and all of the fans, including the cpu fan freezes and fail to spin up.

From the console I can run

ipmitool sdr

and see all of my sensors and readings

Before the array starts everything is as it was and the fans work. Once the array starts ipmi tools plugin fails.

Any insight as to what's going on?

EDIT:

This occurs without starting any additional services, e.g. docker, vms, etc.

Edited by brandonhowlett
  • 2 weeks later...

Howdy guys. Total noob with this stuff, I'm trying to set up ipmi tool. I've downloaded it and added as a plugin. But that's as far as I've gotten. My unraid is running on a Dell server. Will this work on there or not?
If so any tips for someone who doesn't understand this stuff lol

Sent from my SM-S908E using Tapatalk

5 hours ago, bushbasha said:

Howdy guys. Total noob with this stuff, I'm trying to set up ipmi tool. I've downloaded it and added as a plugin. But that's as far as I've gotten. My unraid is running on a Dell server. Will this work on there or not?
If so any tips for someone who doesn't understand this stuff lol

After installing the plugin go to "Settings" --> "IPMI"

if it is on the same server you don't need to fill anything there, just press "Apply" and on the Display/Footer settings you can choose what sensors to show. If you don't see any sensors there your server does not work with this plugin.

You can also run in a terminal:

ipmi-sensors

To check if the sensors are detected

Anyone know and can assist how to get fan control to work? I'm using a Dell server, when I go to fan control it says json file missing. Will it work for me on a Dell if I can do the json or not?
If yes I'm not overly sure on how to do the json either lol