[Plugin] IPMI for unRAID 6.1+

47 minutes ago, Michel Amberg said:

I almost have the same board as you I tried your guide but I can't get it to work. The sensor-detect command does not exist and there is no "ipmi" only in nerdtools only something called "impi-tools" can you please be more specific? :)

nerdtools, isn't that depreciated? 

1 hour ago, Michel Amberg said:

there is no "ipmi" only in nerdtools only something called "impi-tools"

He is referring to the plugin which is the topic of this thread in which you posted (see very first post):

image.png.6017f33e048c90ee4adc0b4f1ba914d2.png

When installed, you will have an IPMI option in Settings --> System Settings

image.png.299d31de3960d273702713dc98a17537.png

ipmitool in NerdTools is a command line interface for certain IPMI functions.

Edited by Hoopster
22 hours ago, Froberg said:

Assuming you actually installed the plugin already... 

image.thumb.png.a704f7b796c52a4afad432eb5abb664c.png

These settings work for me. 

That is what I was looking for! For some reason, those settings did not show up right away.  I reset BMC and suddenly they showed up.  Many thanks!

• Like 1
On 12/20/2022 at 2:31 AM, adminmat said:

I've been using this successfully for a X10 Supermicro for years. Just today I noticed all the sensors are missing except for the HDD. And the fan controls have no effect. It all used to work great. Did you find a solution? 

never did find a solution 😞

i'm about to change over all my fans, and add a bunch more, so figured i'd just worry about it when i do that lol

11 hours ago, te5s3rakt said:

never did find a solution 😞

i'm about to change over all my fans, and add a bunch more, so figured i'd just worry about it when i do that lol

So I got the sensors to show and the fan controls working again. Now I can't explain why but I have to leave Enable Network / LocalhostConnections set to No. And leave the IP address username/pw blank. If I enable this is will no longer show my sensors or operate the fan controls. (Maybe I'm misunderstanding what these first 5 setting do)

1006775158_ipmisensors.png.fef63b5f5b653843fd7a0cdc2c61edaf.png

Then, no matter the settings if you click on Readings nothing happens. That tab doesn't open. 

readings.png.9dd1d386dd9b860f45374bc34e96f293.png

You have to go to the Tools tab and at the bottom click on IPMI.

2122216493_toolsipmi.png.081eae8e81d9859245fcfb038c6ce497.png

Then it shows all my sensors, fans etc. 

1540284943_sensorstools.thumb.png.b34cd0fe9934636d9069478c4f0b64fb.png

Hope this helps. Now I just need to figure out how to set the thresholds lower. I have to keep my fans (mostly Noctua) at about 700 RPM or Supermicro starts to spool up the fans into panic mode. 

• Upvote 1

Dumb question about configuring thresholds on x10 Supermicro. The developer, Dmacias says to change/lower thresholds in the config editor. If I make these changes is it overriding my BMS settings? Does it permanently change the BMS settings? How to I set it back to default if I break it?  

thresholds.png.90242ed593c767200cb98fd2c0e22de3.png

13 minutes ago, adminmat said:

If I make these changes is it overriding my BMS settings? Does it permanently change the BMS settings? How to I set it back to default if I break it?  

It does override your BMS settings while the plugin is running. If the plugin isn't running your BMS settings will control the fans and IIRC they will default to high speed. I know mine start out on high after a reboot and then change to an appropriate speed once the plugin starts. If you stop or remove the plugin your BMS will resume fan control.

On 1/1/2023 at 3:50 PM, Michel Amberg said:

I almost have the same board as you I tried your guide but I can't get it to work. The sensor-detect command does not exist and there is no "ipmi" only in nerdtools only something called "impi-tools" can you please be more specific? :)

I will try to answer from what I remember. Getting this to work took a solid week. The nerd tools the name is ipmitool. It is an IPMI - Intelligent Platform Management Interface. I have no idea why the sensor-detect won't work. Google is going to be your friend if you are trying to get this to work. I can tell you one thing, almost the same board is the same as different. Bios, production run, processor, as well as anything else means google time. My next build will be an OEM just for this reason because I don't have as much free time these days. Good luck.  

On 1/5/2023 at 5:19 PM, adminmat said:

So I got the sensors to show and the fan controls working again. Now I can't explain why but I have to leave Enable Network / LocalhostConnections set to No. And leave the IP address username/pw blank. If I enable this is will no longer show my sensors or operate the fan controls. (Maybe I'm misunderstanding what these first 5 setting do)

Then, no matter the settings if you click on Readings nothing happens. That tab doesn't open. 

Hope this helps. Now I just need to figure out how to set the thresholds lower. I have to keep my fans (mostly Noctua) at about 700 RPM or Supermicro starts to spool up the fans into panic mode. 

I'm finding the same, but my situation is unique. I'm trying to run unraid as a VM in proxmox. I'd like to use the IPMI plugin to control fan speeds on the host based on the HD temps which are passed through on an LSI HBA via PCI passthrough. Can't get any sensors to show up.

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/5/2023 at 11:19 PM, adminmat said:

WoW! had this problem for ages. Thanks a million!

• 1 month later...

Fix Common Problems is telling me that this plugin is deprecated:

Deprecated plugin ipmi.plg

This plugin has been deprecated and should no longer be used due to the following reason(s): Advised to switch to the version from SimonF which is also compatible with Unraid 6.12+ While this plugin should still be functional, it is no recommended to continue to use it.

Where can I get the new version?  A search on Community Apps for "IPMI" only has two apps for managing Dell server fan speeds.

• Upvote 3
1 hour ago, C4RBON said:

Fix Common Problems is telling me that this plugin is deprecated:

Deprecated plugin ipmi.plg

This plugin has been deprecated and should no longer be used due to the following reason(s): Advised to switch to the version from SimonF which is also compatible with Unraid 6.12+ While this plugin should still be functional, it is no recommended to continue to use it.

Where can I get the new version?  A search on Community Apps for "IPMI" only has two apps for managing Dell server fan speeds.

Same here.

In the Apps tab, it shows up under Action Centre as "Deprecated", and has a note on it that reads:

Advised to switch to the version from SimonF which is also compatible with Unraid 6.12+
This application template has been deprecated

image.png.d00b2c16e2a1f61c648aa7aba22d52df.png

Tried searching Google to see if I could find it anywhere, but not having any luck.

• Upvote 1
4 hours ago, SimonF said:

I had released on CA, but there was an issue with FAN control and Config editor which I am in the process of resolving, So have removed for now.

Do you plan to continue support in this thread  or have you started a new thread for the new plugin?

Also, please post when you re-publish the new plugin.

7 hours ago, wgstarks said:

Do you plan to continue support in this thread  or have you started a new thread for the new plugin?

Also, please post when you re-publish the new plugin.

My version is back on CA. Currently the config page is not working correctly and there may be other issues to iron out, but it will work on 6.12. Currently existing plugin does not.

Happy for feeddback if others can test.

• Like 1
8 minutes ago, SimonF said:

My version is back on CA. Currently the config page is not working correctly and there may be other issues to iron out, but it will work on 6.12. Currently existing plugin does not.

Happy for feeddback if others can test.

If I get a few hours free this weekend I’ll give it a shot on my SuperMicro X10SLL-F. Is it possible to manually edit the config page or maybe import it from the old plugin?

BTW- really glad someone has picked this up agian. 👍👍👍

Edited by wgstarks
2 minutes ago, wgstarks said:

If I get a few hours free this weekend I’ll give it a shot on my SuperMicro X10SLL-F. Is it possible to manually edit the config page or maybe import it from the old plugin?

BTW- really glad someone has picked this up agian. 👍👍👍

It is a fork on the existing plugin so configs will be the same.

I have it running on my two machines x9 6.10.3 and x10 6.12beta JorgeB has been testing with me.

4 minutes ago, SimonF said:

It is a fork on the existing plugin so configs will be the same.

I have it running on my two machines x9 6.10.3 and x10 6.12beta JorgeB has been testing with me.

So have you thought about a new support thread? I think it might help avoid future confusion. Just an idea.

• Like 1

It's awesome to see active development on this again!

Many of us are using it in a limited way for Dell servers.  Any chance that some work might be done in getting it to support Dell equipment more fully?  It would be super amazing to be able to monitor and control the fans dynamically (by load/temp) on my T630 without having to resort to scripts or manual settings, like I'm doing now. :D

9 minutes ago, Elmojo said:

It's awesome to see active development on this again!

Many of us are using it in a limited way for Dell servers.  Any chance that some work might be done in getting it to support Dell equipment more fully?  It would be super amazing to be able to monitor and control the fans dynamically (by load/temp) on my T630 without having to resort to scripts or manual settings, like I'm doing now. :D

If you are happy to share scripts I can look into it. Initial changes to support new dashboard format and get it working again for 6.12

Edited by SimonF
2 minutes ago, SimonF said:

If you are happy to share scripts I can look into it. Initial changes to support new dashboard format and get it working again for 6.12

I wish I had scripts to share. I read a bunch about some that were supposed to enable semi-automatic control based on temps, but I never got them working.  I'm just using a fixed speed setting, set through IPMI manually.  It's worked okay so far, but is obviously not ideal, since it doesn't account for load or environmental fluctuations.  I also can only see a few sensor outputs.  I'm hoping that you'll have time at some point to mesh in the Dell-specific code to this plugin, so we can do slick things with it. :)