[Plugin] IPMI for unRAID 6.1+

Ok so my system definitely doesn't like that plugin.  Even after a reboot my WebGui is non responsive.  How can I remove the plugin from the flash drive?

I think there's just something I missed in checking for local ipmi. There's a long timeout for freeipmi.  Go to the command line and try ps aux | grep ipmi and ps aux | grep php.  Killall ipmi and killall php  Then setup networking.

Already removed the plugin manually from the flash drive to get my system back online.  But thanks.

I just tried from scratch and I get the same. I thought I had fixed it. If you try again you can just "killall php" a couple of times from the command line to get the webgui back then just setup networking. Once network ipmi is setup the problem is gone. I'll work on a fix when I get home.

Thanks dmacias - I can confirm the 2016.04.28 version installs without any delays in an unRAID 6.2b21 VM.  Works great! 

The only remaining VM issues I see are these repeated errors in the syslog:

Apr 29 22:33:26 TowerVM kernel: IPMI System Interface driver.
Apr 29 22:33:26 TowerVM kernel: ipmi_si: Unable to find any System Interface(s)
Apr 29 22:33:37 TowerVM kernel: IPMI System Interface driver.
Apr 29 22:33:37 TowerVM kernel: ipmi_si: Unable to find any System Interface(s)

and that the readings are missing from the footer.

Thanks dmacias - I can confirm the 2016.04.28 version installs without any delays in an unRAID 6.2b21 VM.  Works great! 

The only remaining VM issues I see are these repeated errors in the syslog:

Apr 29 22:33:26 TowerVM kernel: IPMI System Interface driver.
Apr 29 22:33:26 TowerVM kernel: ipmi_si: Unable to find any System Interface(s)
Apr 29 22:33:37 TowerVM kernel: IPMI System Interface driver.
Apr 29 22:33:37 TowerVM kernel: ipmi_si: Unable to find any System Interface(s)

and that the readings are missing from the footer.

Thanks for the feedback. I knew about the footer (I don't remember if it worked before or not). I didn't want to spend much time on it since that version of the plugin is really a month or two old. I wanted to fix the webgui lag issue right away in case someone without ipmi or with a vm installs the plugin again.

Everything works in the current version I'm working on. Including fan control for select ASRock boards only, ipmi configuration editor (like the vm xml editor) and a few other fixes and extras. I just need to finish a couple more things.

• 2 weeks later...

Are these errors related to the IPMI Plugin? Not sure where to post about this?

Event: unRAID Status
Subject: Notice [brunnhilde]
Description: May 10 14:11:25 Brunnhilde ipmievd: Voltage sensor VBAT Lower Critical going low  Asserted (Reading 1.88 < Threshold 2.50 Volts)
Importance: warning

Description: May 10 14:11:25 Brunnhilde ipmievd: Temperature sensor - Upper Critical going high

Description: May 10 14:11:25 Brunnhilde ipmievd: Voltage sensor VBAT Lower Non-recoverable going low  Asserted (Reading 1.88 < Threshold 2.38 Volts)

Yes. The first notice is that your CMOS battery is low and probably needs replacing. The second looks like a test event.

Also I noticed that you are running the old plugin. I switched the name to just ipmi.plg and dropped ipmitool for freeipmi. I would uninstall the plugin then install the link in the original post. You'll have to setup everything again though.

Yes. The first notice is that your CMOS battery is low and probably needs replacing. The second looks like a test event.

Also I noticed that you are running the old plugin. I switched the name to just ipmi.plg and dropped ipmitool for freeipmi. I would uninstall the plugin then install the link in the original post. You'll have to setup everything again though.

I'll install the new version when I get home. Are you saying that the warning is a glitch in the old plugin?

No. Those are actual ipmi events from your system's bmc. It's from the event monitor. Ipmitool uses ipmievd (ipmi event daemon) to monitor the ipmi event log. Any ipmi events are put in unRAID's system log. I assume the second warning is if you ran a test event from the command line (ipmitool event 1) since there's no sensor number listed. 

Also along side the event daemon, a system log tail is run checking for ipmi events. If you have notifications setup in unRAID's settings you can also receive webgui or notifications like pushbullet.

Freeipmi is used in the newer version using its ipmiseld (ipmi system event list daemon) the same way plus some other features. I need to write a script to automatically remove the old plugin and install the new on upgrade.

No one is running any tests. Not even anyone at home right now.

It's surprising that the CMOS battery is already needing to be replaced. The mobo is only about 2 years old. I suppose the battery may have been stored in a warehouse for a while before it was shipped.

A little bit of an update.

Wow, that is an impresive change log!

I upgraded both my main 6.1.9 system and my test 6.2b21 VM.

The VM makes a network connection and works perfectly (well, I haven't tried the fan control yet), but the  local install has problems.  No sensors are available in the Display Settings dropdown and the fan says "Your board is not currently supported", although the Readings and Event Log do work.

It's surprising that the CMOS battery is already needing to be replaced. The mobo is only about 2 years old. I suppose the battery may have been stored in a warehouse for a while before it was shipped.

I thought it might be an old warning but I see the timestamp now. I think it might have been one of the reasons I moved to freeipmi as it gives better info on events.  So the temp warning may be actually be a temp sensor going high or some boards don't have the thresholds set properly from the factory. Do you notice a high temp above a threshold in the readings page?

The VM makes a network connection and works perfectly (well, I haven't tried the fan control yet), but the  local install has problems.  No sensors are available in the Display Settings dropdown and the fan says "Your board is not currently supported", although the Readings and Event Log do work.

On the local system can you tell me if any of these files exist? /dev/ipmi0, /dev/ipmi/0 or /dev/ipmidev/0

On the local system can you tell me if any of these files exist? /dev/ipmi0, /dev/ipmi/0 or /dev/ipmidev/0

root@Tower:/dev# ls /dev/ipmi*

/dev/ipmi0

root@Tower:/dev# ls /dev/ipmi*

/dev/ipmi0

I'll have to do some testing to see if I can get the same result. You can connect the local system to the network address of the local ipmi and that should work.

I have been using the network option since I have to RMA my board because my sensor chip started being flaky. I replaced the bmc and bios chip but I can't connect locally anymore and few sensors are missing now. So I might have made changes that affected local access code and not noticed. Also did you refresh your browser cache since there were alot of changes.

I thought it might be an old warning but I see the timestamp now. I think it might have been one of the reasons I moved to freeipmi as it gives better info on events.  So the temp warning may be actually be a temp sensor going high or some boards don't have the thresholds set properly from the factory. Do you notice a high temp above a threshold in the readings page?

Don't see any abnormal temps. Here's the event log display-

1	2016-02-15       20:08:14	      Sensor #48	      Temperature	Upper Critical - going high

Note the date/time stamp, but I got the notification I posted earlier just this afternoon?

Lots of events for VBAT in the event log, but after changing to the new plugin, VBAT is showing 3V for the past hour. I think I'm going to wait to replace the battery.

What do I need to do to get my sensors back? All 4 sensors in settings just display "None" with no other options available.

Don't see any abnormal temps. Here's the event log display-

1	2016-02-15       20:08:14	      Sensor #48	      Temperature	Upper Critical - going high

Note the date/time stamp, but I got the notification I posted earlier just this afternoon?

Lots of events for VBAT in the event log, but after changing to the new plugin, VBAT is showing 3V for the past hour. I think I'm going to wait to replace the battery.

What do I need to do to get my sensors back? All 4 sensors in settings just display "None" with no other options available.

I wouldn't worry about that temp warning then. To get the display sensors working you'll need to use the network option and point it to the ip of your bmc and enter the username and password until I figure out what I broke for the local connection. I have been using the network option for awhile now.

I take it you can see the events and sensors fine like ljm42 just the four dropdowns don't work.

Found the fix! In ipmi_options.php, change a few is_file() commands to file_exists():

$mod = (file_exists('/dev/ipmi0') || file_exists('/dev/ipmi/0') || file_exists('/dev/ipmidev/0'));

Not sure why, but is_file() doesn't like this file:

root@Tower:/# ls -al /dev/ipmi*
crw------- 1 root root 247, 0 Apr 10 16:04 /dev/ipmi0

I wouldn't worry about that temp warning then. To get the display sensors working you'll need to use the network option and point it to the ip of your bmc and enter the username and password until I figure out what I broke for the local connection. I have been using the network option for awhile now.

I take it you can see the events and sensors fine like ljm42 just the four dropdowns don't work.

Worked. Thanks. I'll change it back to local when you push out the fix.

Found the fix! In ipmi_options.php, change a few is_file() commands to file_exists():

$mod = (file_exists('/dev/ipmi0') || file_exists('/dev/ipmi/0') || file_exists('/dev/ipmidev/0'));

Thank you very much! I'm not sure I would have been able to figure that out until I got my new board. I'll push an update.

Working with local again  :)  I have one of the S2600CP2 systems and notice that the processor Therm Margin displays as negative (margin or headroom) but when selected as one of the four pull-downs it is displayed as ##.  Could this be changed to display the same as the main Sensor display?

Thanks for the quick update.

Thank you very much! I'm not sure I would have been able to figure that out until I got my new board. I'll push an update.

Glad I could help!  But mainly, thank *you* for this plugin!

The plugin is working great.  I do have a request though :) After my last bios update, ipmi-sensors added a bunch of useless entries (everything below with a reading of N/A, plus CPU_AP1 temp):

root@Tower:/# ipmi-sensors
ID | Name            | Type        | Reading    | Units | Event
3  | ATX+5VSB        | Voltage     | 4.95       | V     | 'OK'
4  | +3VSB           | Voltage     | 3.44       | V     | 'OK'
5  | Vcore1          | Voltage     | 1.79       | V     | 'OK'
6  | Vcore2          | Voltage     | N/A        | V     | N/A
7  | VCCM1           | Voltage     | 1.51       | V     | 'OK'
8  | VCCM2           | Voltage     | N/A        | V     | N/A
9  | +1.10_PCH       | Voltage     | 1.07       | V     | 'OK'
10 | +1.50_PCH       | Voltage     | N/A        | V     | N/A
11 | CPU VTT1        | Voltage     | 1.00       | V     | 'OK'
12 | CPU VTT2        | Voltage     | N/A        | V     | N/A
13 | BAT             | Voltage     | 3.26       | V     | 'OK'
14 | +3V             | Voltage     | 3.38       | V     | 'OK'
15 | +5V             | Voltage     | 5.10       | V     | 'OK'
16 | +12V            | Voltage     | 12.00      | V     | 'OK'
17 | CPU_FAN1_1      | Fan         | 1200.00    | RPM   | 'OK'
18 | CPU_FAN2_1      | Fan         | N/A        | RPM   | N/A
19 | REAR_FAN1       | Fan         | 500.00     | RPM   | 'OK'
20 | REAR_FAN2       | Fan         | N/A        | RPM   | N/A
21 | FRNT_FAN1       | Fan         | 500.00     | RPM   | 'OK'
22 | FRNT_FAN2       | Fan         | N/A        | RPM   | N/A
23 | FRNT_FAN3       | Fan         | N/A        | RPM   | N/A
24 | FRNT_FAN4       | Fan         | N/A        | RPM   | N/A
25 | CPU_FAN1_2      | Fan         | N/A        | RPM   | N/A
26 | CPU_FAN2_2      | Fan         | N/A        | RPM   | N/A
27 | MB Temperature  | Temperature | 39.00      | C     | 'OK'
28 | TR1 Temperature | Temperature | N/A        | C     | N/A
30 | CPU_BSP1 Temp   | Temperature | 40.00      | C     | 'OK'
31 | CPU_AP1 Temp    | Temperature | 0.00       | C     | 'OK'

This clutters the readings and all the dropdowns with useless information.

Adding "--ignore-not-available-sensors" to the command gets rid of everything N/A, and "-R 31" gets rid of the useless temperature:

root@Tower:/# /usr/sbin/ipmi-sensors --ignore-not-available-sensors -R 31
ID | Name            | Type        | Reading    | Units | Event
3  | ATX+5VSB        | Voltage     | 4.95       | V     | 'OK'
4  | +3VSB           | Voltage     | 3.44       | V     | 'OK'
5  | Vcore1          | Voltage     | 1.79       | V     | 'OK'
7  | VCCM1           | Voltage     | 1.51       | V     | 'OK'
9  | +1.10_PCH       | Voltage     | 1.07       | V     | 'OK'
11 | CPU VTT1        | Voltage     | 1.01       | V     | 'OK'
13 | BAT             | Voltage     | 3.26       | V     | 'OK'
14 | +3V             | Voltage     | 3.38       | V     | 'OK'
15 | +5V             | Voltage     | 5.10       | V     | 'OK'
16 | +12V            | Voltage     | 12.00      | V     | 'OK'
17 | CPU_FAN1_1      | Fan         | 1200.00    | RPM   | 'OK'
19 | REAR_FAN1       | Fan         | 500.00     | RPM   | 'OK'
21 | FRNT_FAN1       | Fan         | 500.00     | RPM   | 'OK'
27 | MB Temperature  | Temperature | 39.00      | C     | 'OK'
30 | CPU_BSP1 Temp   | Temperature | 40.00      | C     | 'OK'

So I was wondering if we could add an IGNORE entry to ipmi.cfg, for me it would look like this:

IGNORE="--ignore-not-available-sensors -R 31"

and then every time you call ipmi-sensors you would add the $IGNORE variable to the call.  I'd be ok if I had to add/edit that line in ipmi.cfg manually.

Or if you think everyone would benefit from --ignore-not-available-sensors (I think they would), then include that by default everywhere, meaning my file ipmi.cfg would just have:

IGNORE="-R 31"

What do you think?

Working with local again  :)  I have one of the S2600CP2 systems and notice that the processor Therm Margin displays as negative (margin or headroom) but when selected as one of the four pull-downs it is displayed as ##.  Could this be changed to display the same as the main Sensor display?

Thanks for the quick update.

Can you telnet into your system and type "ipmi-sensors", then copy/paste the output here?