[Plugin] IPMI for unRAID 6.1+

6 minutes ago, StevenD said:

Yeah...fan control was what I was specifically looking for.  I can read the sensor info on my X9 board with the plugin.

The X9 series doesn't really have good fan control. You can only change between the optimal/full/some other settings, or low, medium and full speed for the different groups. So no individual fan control.

Just to add to @saarg's response, as an owner of a X10SDV-TLN4F (Supermicro), the most we can realistically get with ipmi fan control would be what ipmi itself can control:

ipmi_fan_options.png.5547afea550a6b76e5762bfdff9c8a40.png

Unless someone hasn't already offered though, and if @StevenD doesn't have the board above, please bother me as much as you can if you need the raw ipmi values for my board as I would like to have fan control (even if it's only changing the values above) from unRAID -- pretty certain that my values will be very similar if not the same to other Supermicro boards, even outside of the X10 line.

Anyways, the only other thing that can precisely control the fans on most Supermicro boards to a granular level would be a fan controller -- I make use of a Corsair Commander Mini on my desktop, which supports PWM fans to a certain degree (some Noctua fans have trouble with 'hopping' -- when the controller thinks the fan is running too low).

The only problem with the product above is that Linux support is non-existent -- so you either need a Windows VM or similar setup. Some progress has been made though.

As a separate note, if you are having issues with hopping on your Supermicro board, you can set the lower threshold with the ipmi tool.

For the plugin developer:

Awesome plugin! Great to have for those with IPMI -- first thing I look at when I get on my unRAID box.

I have noticed one little bug that currently requires me to re-install the plugin.

The effects of the bug; it will only be able to read a single sensor from ipmi.

It usually presents itself after power cycling the unRAID box from a full shutdown, though it doesn't happen every time.

One thing I can link to it is that the SNMP plugin I have installed would show in the failed plugins tab (or whatever it's called, the tab is usually hidden).

Re-installing both plugins brings them both to working condition -- so I'm wondering if there is some sort of conflict.

In closing; here is a great post on STH when it comes to IPMI and some raw values to play with~

You might want to take a double take at this part though:

You can also set the PWM duty cycle for each of the fan zones. PWM values are set 64 steps using hex values from 00-FF (ox00 to 0x64). 0x00 is minimum speed, 0x64 is full speed, and 0x32 is 50%, etc.

You know what that means ;-)

Edited by avluis
14 hours ago, avluis said:

Awesome plugin! Great to have for those with IPMI -- first thing I look at when I get on my unRAID box.

I have noticed one little bug that currently requires me to re-install the plugin.

The effects of the bug; it will only be able to read a single sensor from ipmi.

It usually presents itself after power cycling the unRAID box from a full shutdown, though it doesn't happen every time.

One thing I can link to it is that the SNMP plugin I have installed would show in the failed plugins tab (or whatever it's called, the tab is usually hidden).

Re-installing both plugins brings them both to working condition -- so I'm wondering if there is some sort of conflict.

In closing; here is a great post on STH when it comes to IPMI and some raw values to play with~

You might want to take a double take at this part though:

You know what that means ;-)

I looked through the snmp plugin's code and packages but didn't see anything obvious that would conflict. How are you connecting to IPMI, local or network? Try network if using local. Which sensor is the only one showing? hard drive?

Thanks for the STH link. I hadn't seen that one before. Too bad the X9 doesn't support the raw speed controls. I think I may get a SM X10 board to test with and act as a backup.

I'm currently connecting locally so I'll give network a try if the issues presents itself once again. I'll make sure to keep an eye out to confirm the single sensor, but I'm fairly certain it is HDD Temperature -- don't quote me on this yet (my memory ain't great -- need an upgrade).

I'm currently connecting locally so I'll give network a try if the issues presents itself once again. I'll make sure to keep an eye out to confirm the single sensor, but I'm fairly certain it is HDD Temperature -- don't quote me on this yet (my memory ain't great -- need an upgrade).

I suspect it's just the hard drives temp since it's pulled from the disks.ini. So for some reason your ipmi through the kernel module doesn't work sometimes. I always use the network connection.

So I've been a little bit away from this project for a while because I had it working well previously. My issue now is that I've upgraded my CPU, and the fan speed for that is pegged at 2900 RPM, which is really high. I can't seem to change the speed of anything via the IPMI web interface going to the IP address for the dedicated IPMI LAN port for my X11 board. Does anyone have any ideas as to how I might be able to get my fans set to the "optimal" setting?

I recently updated the BMC firmware on my SuperMicro X10SLL-F to REDFISH_X10_352. Now any changes that I make to sensor configuration seem to be ignored. It looks like all fan speed thresholds have been reset to defaults and changes I make in the config file are not being applied. Anybody have any ideas how to fix this?

I recently updated the BMC firmware on my SuperMicro X10SLL-F to REDFISH_X10_352. Now any changes that I make to sensor configuration seem to be ignored. It looks like all fan speed thresholds have been reset to defaults and changes I make in the config file are not being applied. Anybody have any ideas how to fix this?

I would try clicking the revert command to pull a new config from your IPMI but if you loaded on startup then this might not work. Try renaming the ipmi-sensors.config or ipmi.config (whichever one is relevant) and rebooting. Then make changes to a fresh config.

My thinking is that something has changed in the config options with the bmc update and your writing config values that aren't valid anymore. Maybe the sensor or variable names have changed.
So I've been a little bit away from this project for a while because I had it working well previously. My issue now is that I've upgraded my CPU, and the fan speed for that is pegged at 2900 RPM, which is really high. I can't seem to change the speed of anything via the IPMI web interface going to the IP address for the dedicated IPMI LAN port for my X11 board. Does anyone have any ideas as to how I might be able to get my fans set to the "optimal" setting?

See reply above if you updated the bmc. Is it a different fan?
2 hours ago, dmacias said:

I would try clicking the revert command to pull a new config from your IPMI but if you loaded on startup then this might not work. Try renaming the ipmi-sensors.config or ipmi.config (whichever one is relevant) and rebooting. Then make changes to a fresh config.

My thinking is that something has changed in the config options with the bmc update and your writing config values that aren't valid anymore. Maybe the sensor or variable names have changed.

Where are these files located?

12 hours ago, dmacias said:

On the flash in /config/plugins/ipmi

Thanks. That worked. IPMI for the board is showing the correct thresholds.

Curious though about the footer display. I know Fan4 is bad. Waiting for a new set right now. That's why I have the threshold is set so low, just so I don't get flooded with notifications. Why does the fan speed show in red though in the footer when the speed is above the threshold? Did I miss another setting?

SafariScreenSnapz023.jpg

Thanks. That worked. IPMI for the board is showing the correct thresholds.

Curious though about the footer display. I know Fan4 is bad. Waiting for a new set right now. That's why I have the threshold is set so low, just so I don't get flooded with notifications. Why does the fan speed show in red though in the footer when the speed is above the threshold? Did I miss another setting?
SafariScreenSnapz023.thumb.jpg.08cfe7eedd822122ce8064da2946be17.jpg

That's a bug. I found the same error the other day on a temp sensor. I'll include the fix on the next update.
15 hours ago, dmacias said:

See reply above if you updated the bmc. Is it a different fan?

I uninstalled and reinstalled the plugin, and at first it was reading the config of ipmi-sensors.config which had all the fan thresholds. After I updated it, it seems to now be reading ipmi.config which is usernames and things like that. You said in an earlier post to rename one of the two, but do I overwrite ipmi.config with ipmi-sensors.config? Or do I name one of them old or what should I do?

I uninstalled and reinstalled the plugin, and at first it was reading the config of ipmi-sensors.config which had all the fan thresholds. After I updated it, it seems to now be reading ipmi.config which is usernames and things like that. You said in an earlier post to rename one of the two, but do I overwrite ipmi.config with ipmi-sensors.config? Or do I name one of them old or what should I do?

No don't overwrite the two. They are different. I would just rename them both or move them to a backup location. So when you reboot you'll get a fresh copy from the bmc. You won't lose users or anything like that. It's different for each board/manufacturer too. Some have settings that are persistent and some you have to load again.

I should have a supermicro x10 system up soon as a backup server.
46 minutes ago, dmacias said:

No don't overwrite the two. They are different. I would just rename them both or move them to a backup location. So when you reboot you'll get a fresh copy from the bmc. You won't lose users or anything like that. It's different for each board/manufacturer too. Some have settings that are persistent and some you have to load again.

I should have a supermicro x10 system up soon as a backup server.

I think there's just something going over my head. I pulled new configs down from BMC and I changed the thresholds back down to a proper range, but it doesn't seem to actually be affecting my fan speeds at all. I have a Supermicro X11SSM-F. Actually connecting to the server VIA IPMI and trying to change the settings there doesn't do anything either.

Edited by cyriouslydylan
1 hour ago, wgstarks said:

Changing the thresholds is basically changing alarm/notification setpoints. Won't change fan speed.

I posted in this thread a while ago, and I reached out to Supermicro once about the commands to change fan speed:

Thank you for contacting Supermicro Computer's Technical Support

ipmi-raw 00 30 45 01 0#

In place of the #, you can use 0, 1 or 2. This will set the fan mode to 0 – Standard, 1 – Full, 2 – Optimal.

Please let me know how it goes.

But it doesn't seem to have any affect at all, my fans are still pegged at 100%

ipmi-sensors returns:

ID   | Name            | Type              | Reading    | Units | Event
4    | CPU Temp        | Temperature       | 37.00      | C     | 'OK'
71   | PCH Temp        | Temperature       | 33.00      | C     | 'OK'
138  | System Temp     | Temperature       | 27.00      | C     | 'OK'
205  | Peripheral Temp | Temperature       | 30.00      | C     | 'OK'
272  | VcpuVRM Temp    | Temperature       | 31.00      | C     | 'OK'
339  | DIMMA1 Temp     | Temperature       | 28.00      | C     | 'OK'
406  | DIMMA2 Temp     | Temperature       | N/A        | C     | N/A
473  | DIMMB1 Temp     | Temperature       | 28.00      | C     | 'OK'
540  | DIMMB2 Temp     | Temperature       | N/A        | C     | N/A
607  | FAN1            | Fan               | 0.00       | RPM   | 'At or Below (                                                          <=) Lower Non-Recoverable Threshold'
674  | FAN2            | Fan               | 1300.00    | RPM   | 'OK'
741  | FAN3            | Fan               | 1300.00    | RPM   | 'OK'
808  | FAN4            | Fan               | 1200.00    | RPM   | 'OK'
875  | FANA            | Fan               | 2900.00    | RPM   | 'At or Above (                                                          >=) Upper Non-Recoverable Threshold'
942  | 12V             | Voltage           | 12.13      | V     | 'OK'
1009 | 5VCC            | Voltage           | 4.95       | V     | 'OK'
1076 | 3.3VCC          | Voltage           | 3.38       | V     | 'OK'
1143 | VBAT            | Voltage           | 3.03       | V     | 'OK'
1210 | VCPU            | Voltage           | 0.33       | V     | 'OK'
1277 | VDIMMAB         | Voltage           | 1.19       | V     | 'OK'
1344 | 5VSB            | Voltage           | 5.00       | V     | 'OK'
1411 | 3.3VSB          | Voltage           | 3.21       | V     | 'OK'
1478 | VBMC 1.2V       | Voltage           | 1.20       | V     | 'OK'
1545 | VPCH 1.0V       | Voltage           | 1.00       | V     | 'OK'
1612 | Chassis Intru   | Physical Security | N/A        | N/A   | 'OK'