[Plugin] IPMI for unRAID 6.1+

3 hours ago, cyriouslydylan said:

I posted in this thread a while ago, and I reached out to Supermicro once about the commands to change fan speed:

But it doesn't seem to have any affect at all, my fans are still pegged at 100%

ipmi-sensors returns:

ID   | Name            | Type              | Reading    | Units | Event
4    | CPU Temp        | Temperature       | 37.00      | C     | 'OK'
71   | PCH Temp        | Temperature       | 33.00      | C     | 'OK'
138  | System Temp     | Temperature       | 27.00      | C     | 'OK'
205  | Peripheral Temp | Temperature       | 30.00      | C     | 'OK'
272  | VcpuVRM Temp    | Temperature       | 31.00      | C     | 'OK'
339  | DIMMA1 Temp     | Temperature       | 28.00      | C     | 'OK'
406  | DIMMA2 Temp     | Temperature       | N/A        | C     | N/A
473  | DIMMB1 Temp     | Temperature       | 28.00      | C     | 'OK'
540  | DIMMB2 Temp     | Temperature       | N/A        | C     | N/A
607  | FAN1            | Fan               | 0.00       | RPM   | 'At or Below (                                                          <=) Lower Non-Recoverable Threshold'
674  | FAN2            | Fan               | 1300.00    | RPM   | 'OK'
741  | FAN3            | Fan               | 1300.00    | RPM   | 'OK'
808  | FAN4            | Fan               | 1200.00    | RPM   | 'OK'
875  | FANA            | Fan               | 2900.00    | RPM   | 'At or Above (                                                          >=) Upper Non-Recoverable Threshold'
942  | 12V             | Voltage           | 12.13      | V     | 'OK'
1009 | 5VCC            | Voltage           | 4.95       | V     | 'OK'
1076 | 3.3VCC          | Voltage           | 3.38       | V     | 'OK'
1143 | VBAT            | Voltage           | 3.03       | V     | 'OK'
1210 | VCPU            | Voltage           | 0.33       | V     | 'OK'
1277 | VDIMMAB         | Voltage           | 1.19       | V     | 'OK'
1344 | 5VSB            | Voltage           | 5.00       | V     | 'OK'
1411 | 3.3VSB          | Voltage           | 3.21       | V     | 'OK'
1478 | VBMC 1.2V       | Voltage           | 1.20       | V     | 'OK'
1545 | VPCH 1.0V       | Voltage           | 1.00       | V     | 'OK'
1612 | Chassis Intru   | Physical Security | N/A        | N/A   | 'OK'

Do you have PMW fans or the old 3-pin fans?

Had this happen again:

On 4/22/2017 at 11:34 AM, avluis said:

I have noticed one little bug that currently requires me to re-install the plugin.

The effects of the bug; it will only be able to read a single sensor from ipmi.

It usually presents itself after power cycling the unRAID box from a full shutdown, though it doesn't happen every time.

This time around, I happen to notice a few things on the log that should make you happy~

From my quick look -- it seems as if some packages are forcing dependency 'upgrades' if already installed.

So we end up with an older version of a dependency (in my case, freeipmi-1.4.11-x86_64-3.txz vs freeipmi-1.5.3-x86_64-1.txz).

avnet-unraid-syslog-20170428-0218.zip

4 hours ago, avluis said:

Are any of those fans Noctua?

On 4/27/2017 at 2:24 AM, saarg said:

Do you have PMW fans or the old 3-pin fans?

One of them is the CPU fan on the intel stock cooler, and the others are Nanoxia Deep Silence 140mm PWM Ultra-Quiet PC Fan, 700-1400 RPM. I had them all working properly prior to my CPU upgrade which also required a motherboard bios update.

Had this happen again:

This time around, I happen to notice a few things on the log that should make you happy~
From my quick look -- it seems as if some packages are forcing dependency 'upgrades' if already installed.
So we end up with an older version of a dependency (in my case, freeipmi-1.4.11-x86_64-3.txz vs freeipmi-1.5.3-x86_64-1.txz).
avnet-unraid-syslog-20170428-0218.zip

Thanks, I see the problem. It's the Nut plugin installing freeipmi 1.4.8. I would just remove the freeipmi package lines from the Nut plg file. Or a little more complicated would be to copy the lines from the ipmi plg file. Except I use variables. So you'd have to copy those too or translate them. E.g. replace the variables with their definition from the top of the ipmi plg file.
1 hour ago, wgstarks said:

Is there some problem with Noctua fans? I just installed a NH-L9i CPU fan. Haven't noticed any problems with it.

Not necessarily -- but some may require installing the Low-Noise Adaptor (NA-RC7).

Also, I would love to have that exact same setup, but for the D-1541.

2 hours ago, dmacias said:

Thanks, I see the problem. It's the Nut plugin installing freeipmi 1.4.8. I would just remove the freeipmi package lines from the Nut plg file. Or a little more complicated would be to copy the lines from the ipmi plg file. Except I use variables. So you'd have to copy those too or translate them. E.g. replace the variables with their definition from the top of the ipmi plg file.

Yep -- that's what I saw as well. That NUT plugin is currently unmaintained so I may have to fork and go from there.

But thanks for confirming that, wanted a second set of eyes on that to dismiss any issues with your plugin.

2 hours ago, cyriouslydylan said:

One of them is the CPU fan on the intel stock cooler, and the others are Nanoxia Deep Silence 140mm PWM Ultra-Quiet PC Fan, 700-1400 RPM. I had them all working properly prior to my CPU upgrade which also required a motherboard bios update.

It's not often, but I have seen BIOS updates change the behavior of system accessories (fans, temp probes, etc) -- but I'm not going to sit here and tell you that's the issue since I have not worked with your particular board.

What I would look into is that max rpm -- the system is, more than likely, simply pushing more than what the fan needs.

Took a look at the Amazon listing (https://www.amazon.com/Nanoxia-Silence-140mm-Cooling-NDS140PWM-1400/dp/B00CHW8QD2) for additional info and in all honesty, unless they are running loud (which they shouldn't), I wouldn't worry about it.

What I would give another try would be to play with these options:

IPMI-IP -> Configuration -> Fan Mode

ipmi_fan_options.png

I have seen a few SM systems get stuck at Full Speed while changing settings over ipmi -- so you'll need to get on the web interface and change it a few times (between full speed and another setting) to get it to apply.

Edited by avluis
40 minutes ago, avluis said:

Not necessarily -- but some may require installing the Low-Noise Adaptor (NA-RC7).

Also, I would love to have that exact same setup, but for the D-1541.

Yep -- that's what I saw as well. That NUT plugin is currently unmaintained so I may have to fork and go from there.

But thanks for confirming that, wanted a second set of eyes on that to dismiss any issues with your plugin.

It's not often, but I have seen BIOS updates change the behavior of system accessories (fans, temp probes, etc) -- but I'm not going to sit here and tell you that's the issue since I have not worked with your particular board.

What I would look into is that max rpm -- the system is, more than likely, simply pushing more than what the fan needs.

Took a look at the Amazon listing (https://www.amazon.com/Nanoxia-Silence-140mm-Cooling-NDS140PWM-1400/dp/B00CHW8QD2) for additional info and in all honesty, unless they are running loud (which they shouldn't), I wouldn't worry about it.

What I would give another try would be to play with these options:

IPMI-IP -> Configuration -> Fan Mode

ipmi_fan_options.png

I have seen a few SM systems get stuck at Full Speed while changing settings over ipmi -- so you'll need to get on the web interface and change it a few times (between full speed and another setting) to get it to apply.

Also worth to try is the Cold reset of the BMC device.

32 minutes ago, avluis said:

The net-snmp package from the nut plugin is probably the reason the SNMP plugin doesn't work either. I was thinking of looking at the nut plugin too. I use nut on my router for a separate ups.

15 minutes ago, dmacias said:

The net-snmp package from the nut plugin is probably the reason the SNMP plugin doesn't work either. I was thinking of looking at the nut plugin too. I use nut on my router for a separate ups.

I've the SNMP plugin working -- and it exhibits the same behavior as your plugin after a shutdown as well, so it does support what you are saying here.

Would love to see that NUT plugin taken under someone's care ;-)

• 1 month later...

At first thank you for these great plugin. 

I just set up my first self bult Server based on a Supermicro X11SSi-LN4F Mainboard. 

Im pretty convinient, but the Fan Control is still a big Problem. Supermicro Auto Fan modes aren't cooling my System well and Dustfilters aren't working, because there is negative air pressure in the case. 

To end up with a question. 

Will the Fan Controll support for Supermicro Boards be available soon?

Edit: My 140mm Low RPM max 1000RPM

Fans are continously ramping up and down when they are on any of the Auto modes. I already lowerd the sensor tresholds because some forums where saying that will stop the Mainboard from doing this, but noting. 

Curently i have my case Fans on a Static non controlled Fan driver. 

Maybee anybody has had the Same issue. And cold help me...

Edited by Diggewuff
At first thank you for these great plugin. 
I just set up my first self bult Server based on a Supermicro X11SSi-LN4F Mainboard. 
Im pretty convinient, but the Fan Control is still a big Problem. Supermicro Auto Fan modes aren't cooling my System well and Dustfilters aren't working, because there is negative air pressure in the case. 
To end up with a question. 
Will the Fan Controll support for Supermicro Boards be available soon?

Edit: My 140mm Low RPM max 1000RPM
Fans are continously ramping up and down when they are on any of the Auto modes. I already lowerd the sensor tresholds because some forums where saying that will stop the Mainboard from doing this, but noting. 
Curently i have my case Fans on a Static non controlled Fan driver. 
Maybee anybody has had the Same issue. And cold help me...

I just recently built a Supermicro x10 backup server. Just waiting on a new power supply. So I'll have a machine to test on. However I'm not sure fan control support will help. Supermicro only allows changing a group of fans with low, med, high.

On my x11 there are the modes Standard, High IO, Fullspeed and Optimal.

But there is also the Option to set the Speed of the Fan groups Fan (1,2,3,4) and Fan A to a specific PWM value in steps between 0 and 64 using IPMI Raw Commands. 

For example:

#100% duty cycle
ipmitool raw 0x30 0x70 0x66 0x01 0x00 0x64

#50% duty cycle
ipmitool raw 0x30 0x70 0x66 0x01 0x00 0x32

Great examples at this thread. 

https://forums.freenas.org/index.php?threads/script-to-control-fan-speed-in-response-to-hard-drive-temperatures.41294/

Would be very nice to have that implemented to the Plugin. 

• Upvote 2
50 minutes ago, Diggewuff said:

But there is also the Option to set the Speed of the Fan groups Fan (1,2,3,4) and Fan A to a specific PWM value in steps between 0 and 64 using IPMI Raw Commands. 

Nice find, also works on my X11, apparently it works on (all?) X10 and X11.

53 minutes ago, Diggewuff said:

For example:

#100% duty cycle

#50% duty cycle
ipmitool raw 0x30 0x70 0x66 0x01 0x00 0x32

Great examples at this thread. 

https://forums.freenas.org/index.php?threads/script-to-control-fan-speed-in-response-to-hard-drive-temperatures.41294/

Would be very nice to have that implemented to the Plugin. 

2 minutes ago, johnnie.black said:

Nice find, also works on my X11, apparently it works on (all?) X10 and X11.

I'll have to give it a try on my x10.

If anyone else wants to try:

00 - Get value

01 - Set value

00 - FAN 1/2/3/4

01 - FAN A

(possibly different groupings on some models)

00 to 64 - Speed (64 is max)

Edited by johnnie.black
16 minutes ago, johnnie.black said:

If anyone else wants to try:

00 - Get value

01 - Set value

00 - FAN 1/2/3/4

01 - FAN A

00 to 64 - Speed (64 is max)

You can use the included ipmi-raw or ipmiraw (adds the network, ip , user and pass from ipmi settings)

ipmi-raw 00 30 70 66 01 00 64

00 - Get value

01 - Set value

00 - FAN 1/2/3/4

01 - FAN A

00 to 64 - Speed (64 is max). 00 or 01 may set to auto if I remember

• Upvote 2
1 hour ago, dmacias said:

You can use the included ipmi-raw or ipmiraw (adds the network, ip , user and pass from ipmi settings)

ipmi-raw 00 30 70 66 01 00 64

00 - Get value

01 - Set value

00 - FAN 1/2/3/4

01 - FAN A

00 to 64 - Speed (64 is max). 00 or 01 may set to auto if I remember

Great dyou think this is implementable to your plugins fancoltrol feature?

Great dyou think this is implementable to your plugins fancoltrol feature?

Yes and it should work on the board I have. I had seen those commands before, they are in my SM notes. I have that thread in my favorites although it's quite a bit longer now. I just wasn't sure which boards they work on. When I get my server up I'll get started on it.
#There is also a command to get the current auto modes.
ipmi-raw 00 30 45 00

#or to set them
ipmi-raw 00 30 45 01 0X

The values are:

• Standard: 0
  • Full: 1
  • Optimal: 2
  • Heavy IO: 4

Maybe these scripts are great for orientation.

https://forums.freenas.org/index.php?resources/fan-scripts-for-supermicro-boards-using-pid-logic.24/

If you want to test with a X11 SSi-LN4F Board feel free to ask for a Remote Desktop session.

Edited by Diggewuff
#There is also a command to get the current auto modes.ipmi-raw 00 30 45 00#or to set themipmi-raw 00 30 45 01 0X

The values are:

• Standard: 0
  • Full: 1
  • Optimal: 2
  • Heavy IO: 4

Maybe these scripts are great for orientation.
https://forums.freenas.org/index.php?resources/fan-scripts-for-supermicro-boards-using-pid-logic.24/

If you want to test with a X11 SSi-LN4F Board feel free to ask for a Remote Desktop session.

Thanks I'll let you know when I have something. I already have scripts written in php that work with Asrock (ipmifan and ipmi2json). I just need to modify them for SM raw commands.
Just now, dmacias said:

Thanks I'll let you know when I have something. I already have scripts written in php that work with Asrock (ipmifan and ipmi2json). I just need to modify them for SM raw commands.

Great. But take a look at those scripts, they have some very nice features like:

• swapping cpu zone and perepheral zone to use the lager amount of fan 1-4 headers for disks and fan A for cpu
  • exact temperature regulation based on pid
  • Setting up a lower threshold to overcome the stalling prevention spinup SM-Boars performing on low rpm fans

Hi!  Any update whether fan control will be enabled on Supermicro?  X9scm-F.  What are the other Supermicro users using?  Can I use this tool to edit my lowest thresholds?  Via command line?  Any list of commands to execute?

Edited by jang430
6 hours ago, jang430 said:

Hi!  Any update whether fan control will be enabled on Supermicro?  X9scm-F.  What are the other Supermicro users using?  Can I use this tool to edit my lowest thresholds?  Via command line?  Any list of commands to execute?

I think the x9 would only allow fan control with all fans low, med, high. Yes this plugin can change the thresholds from the Readings/Sensors Config page. Just edit and save.

7 hours ago, Diggewuff said:

Great. But take a look at those scripts, they have some very nice features like:

• swapping cpu zone and perepheral zone to use the lager amount of fan 1-4 headers for disks and fan A for cpu
  • exact temperature regulation based on pid
  • Setting up a lower threshold to overcome the stalling prevention spinup SM-Boars performing on low rpm fans

I updated some of the screenshots in the original post. They were outdated. The current fan control does include a fan speed minimum and the ability to link a fan to a specific temperature sensor. The temperature regulation is based on a scale between the upper and lower temperature thresholds and the reading of the chosen sensor.