[Plugin] IPMI for unRAID 6.1+

Hi guys, Quick one...

I have a Supermicro X9SCM-F and noticed that the temp for the CPU in the plugin says OEM and simply says low/medium/high

I've been getting a lot of audible beeps for high CPU but have no way of knowing what the temp of the CPU actually is... I believe the thresholds may be set to low for CPU... How can i rectify this with the plugin?

Hi guys, Quick one...

I have a Supermicro X9SCM-F and noticed that the temp for the CPU in the plugin says OEM and simply says low/medium/high
I've been getting a lot of audible beeps for high CPU but have no way of knowing what the temp of the CPU actually is... I believe the thresholds may be set to low for CPU... How can i rectify this with the plugin?
That's what your motherboard displays. Sorry but nothing can be done. I believe I added support for your case but it was to just show the low, med or hi and might have added color respectively.

https://www.supermicro.com/support/faqs/faq.cfm?faq=8295

Hi, I own Supermicro board X10SDV-4C and found this plugin is very useful. 

I run UNRAID virtualized under esxi, so my setting of pluging is to connect IPMI via IP address. Therefore all sensors are working, but autofan is not working even it is Supermicro board. Checking source codes I found that board model is detected via dmidecode command and in virtualized environment that Intel 440BX. Is it possible to update detection mechanism to use information from IPMI service or override board in settings?

Thank you in advance.

P.S. sorry for my English.

Hi, I own Supermicro board X10SDV-4C and found this plugin is very useful. 
I run UNRAID virtualized under esxi, so my setting of pluging is to connect IPMI via IP address. Therefore all sensors are working, but autofan is not working even it is Supermicro board. Checking source codes I found that board model is detected via dmidecode command and in virtualized environment that Intel 440BX. Is it possible to update detection mechanism to use information from IPMI service or override board in settings?

Thank you in advance.
P.S. sorry for my English.

It was discussed before but I haven't had much time lately. I think the only option is a motherboard and model override for VM's. If dmidecode doesn't detect ASRock or Supermicro and connecting via IP address then present override. Override yes/no, ASRock/Supermicro then X9/X10-X11.

Hello,

I'm very new to unraid, plugins, etc. but lots of experience with many flavors of hardware and software in general.

Hardware:

Motherboard -- AsRock Rack EP2C602-4L/D16

CPU's -- E5-2687W 0

At idle, BIOS screen reports CPU temps around 50 C or so, and this plugin reports about 35 C. Could there be an offset being applied automatically?

I thought 50 was a bit high, but not really concerned about it. Would like to have temps in 35 range, of course.

Thanks for all your great work with this plugin!

Hello,

I'm very new to unraid, plugins, etc. but lots of experience with many flavors of hardware and software in general.

Hardware:
Motherboard -- AsRock Rack EP2C602-4L/D16
CPU's -- E5-2687W 0

At idle, BIOS screen reports CPU temps around 50 C or so, and this plugin reports about 35 C. Could there be an offset being applied automatically?

I thought 50 was a bit high, but not really concerned about it. Would like to have temps in 35 range, of course.

Thanks for all your great work with this plugin!
I'm not sure where the BIOS gets the CPU temps from. But you could enter the bios and go to the BMC webpage for your motherboard and see if they match up. This plugin just displays the data from the BMC
  • 2 weeks later...
On 9/7/2018 at 2:00 AM, Oreonipples said:

I just noticed when I edit the sensors config and change the lower critical and non critical values on fans they say they save but if i re load the config it has gone back to the original values.

I'm having the same issue with a Supermicro X9SCM. I can't reduce my fan's lower thresholds because the sensor config never saves. Any ideas?

I'm having the same issue with a Supermicro X9SCM. I can't reduce my fan's lower thresholds because the sensor config never saves. Any ideas?
For whatever reason I could never get the writing of a bad config to come back as an error. It's not saving because it doesn't like the value you are using for the lower threshold. If you were to run the command from the command line you'd see the complaint. What values have you tried? Try only numbers like 300, 400, 500
8 hours ago, dmacias said:

What values have you tried? Try only numbers like 300, 400, 500

The top fan in my Antec 1200 runs at 525 RPM with the built-in fan controller. I've only tried reducing the lower non-critical threshold to 500. I can try debugging from the command line. What's the equivalent command?

The top fan in my Antec 1200 runs at 525 RPM with the built-in fan controller. I've only tried reducing the lower non-critical threshold to 500. I can try debugging from the command line. What's the equivalent command?
I'll update in a little bit. I fixed the error reporting. But here's the command. You'll have to edit the file manually too

usr/sbin/ipmi-sensors-config --filename=/boot/config/plugins/ipmi/ipmi-sensors.config --commit

55 minutes ago, t33j4y said:

So,  just took the update and my fans have been spinning like crazy ever since 😞

Running a X11SSM-F

I think I got it fixed. Updated plugin and added delay after full fans. I think the first fan control commands were happening too soon after full fan commands and not taking. So fan speeds weren't changing on script start and eventually changing on the next poll when the temp changed.

That sounds plausible - my server had resumed to normal fan operation this morning so something must have settled during the night.

Will hold off on installing the update as all seems quiet now and I am leaving for a four day business trip. Can fiddle around with it when I return - I know it will haunt me if it doesn't work out and I leave the family with full tilt fan noise coming from the office :D:D

Edited by t33j4y

I've updated and so far, so good.

Supermicro X10DRI motherboard, SC743TQ-SQ case. I'm using 3 of the 80mm SQ fans for intake and the  92mm SQ fan for exhaust, and two SNK-P0050AP4 heatsink/fans. Idles nice and quiet and doesn't scream under full load, though of course you can hear the fans then.

On 10/18/2018 at 5:06 PM, dmacias said:

It was discussed before but I haven't had much time lately. I think the only option is a motherboard and model override for VM's. If dmidecode doesn't detect ASRock or Supermicro and connecting via IP address then present override. Override yes/no, ASRock/Supermicro then X9/X10-X11.

Unfortunately, it is impossible to override motherboard and model for VM via settings. The only way it could be done is by changing BIOS binary file used for VM.  

Unfortunately, it is impossible to override motherboard and model for VM via settings. The only way it could be done is by changing BIOS binary file used for VM.  

I was refering to adding an override to the plugin settings. Latest update provides an override for virtual machines.

On 10/9/2018 at 9:51 PM, planetix said:

Thanks for the awesome plugin!

Can someone assist with the right config settings for my fans? I want to make sure I edit it correctly for my Supermicro X9DRE-LN4F:

CPU and system fans-
CPU 1: 92mm Noctua cooler/Fan2. Specs 2000rpm high 400rpm low

CPU 2: 92mm Noctua cooler/Fan5. Specs 2000rpm high 400rpm low

Side intake: 200mm Noctua/Fan3. Specs 800rpm high 350rpm low

Rear exhaust: 140mm Noctua/Fan6. Specs 1500rpm high 300rpm low

Drive bay fans (Icydock 5in4 front cooler hotswap) -

Bay 1: 2x120mm Noctua/FanA. Specs 1300rpm high 300rpm low

Bay 2: 2x120mm Noctua/FanB. Specs 1300rpm high 300rpm low

I have Fans123456 set to System temp - should I use CPU1 instead perhaps? FANA/B are set to hdd temp. Want to make sure I have this configured correctly before I work on thresholds.

My Supermicro BMC has the fans set to high/full as recommended.

Thanks for any assistance!

Sorry for the late reply. I would set FAN1234 to CPU temp and FANA to hard drive temps.

Is there a guide to setting up fan control somewhere in this thread? I read through the first 5 pages but didn't see anything. I have a X9SCM-F and am trying to set up separate CPU and HDD fans, but have run in to several problems while stumbling through the settings. I can't get it to actually control anything, the fans are just running full speed.

Also, the 'Fan Settings' section is only displaying FAN1234 (FAN1 is my CPU cooler, 2-4 aren't used) options. FANA is 2 Noctua's on my HDD's connected via a splitter, and it's detected but I can't set anything up for it.

Is there a guide to setting up fan control somewhere in this thread? I read through the first 5 pages but didn't see anything. I have a X9SCM-F and am trying to set up separate CPU and HDD fans, but have run in to several problems while stumbling through the settings. I can't get it to actually control anything, the fans are just running full speed.

Also, the 'Fan Settings' section is only displaying FAN1234 (FAN1 is my CPU cooler, 2-4 aren't used) options. FANA is 2 Noctua's on my HDD's connected via a splitter, and it's detected but I can't set anything up for it.

First make sure your BIOS and BMC are on the latest firmware. Are your fans 4pin pwm fans? For missing FANA, check the Settings page under Display settings and Global available sensors and make sure FANA is checked. You also need to use the Sensor Config editor to change your fan thresholds. Check back through the thread around 2018/05/20 is when I implemented fan control for X9 boards.

I just updated my BMC (and now I'm having trouble getting to BIOS – which is especially annoying because somehow IOMMU got disabled and now I can't pass my GPU to my Windows VM, but that's a different issue – but I checked that when I first got my board and I'm pretty sure it's the latest).

Under 'Global Available' I have everything checked except for FAN2-4 and Chassis Intru (because those 4 are "N/A" for me).

I don't know enough about the underlying tech to really understand how to figure out my fan thresholds, what the different options for it mean, or how any of the posts from when X9 control was implemented can help me. Do you happen to have a link to some intro material for that or something? Because I do want to learn.

Also, does it matter what my BIOS fan settings are?