[Plugin] IPMI for unRAID 6.1+

I'm willing to pay someone to fix my high cpu fan issue.  PM me if interested
Sorry I'm not familiar with the Intel implementation of IPMI. It could be you don't have PWM fans. It may be the fans aren't even controlled by IPMI. They may be controlled by the bios. If that's the case there's another plugin for that
New unraid user here and many thanks for the plugin. I am running on a ASRock rack c236. So, I pull the container from the CA. But there is nothing in the global/dashboard sensors or footer settings. Neither in the readings. When I go fan control/configure I get a "Checking IPMI fan Locations..." echo and after a while all "locations" are tagged as "none".

I guess I miss something big here. Can you please advice?
Do you have PWM fans?
On 8/12/2019 at 9:33 AM, superloopy1 said:

There's an awful lot to take onboard in this thread so, before I do this, can I ask whether it will be useful for controlling my fans on my SM X8SIA-F board? I'm reading that it supports x9, 10, 11 but not x8??

Bump ...

I really think this could solve my problems.

The logs all appear to be 'working' and doing the right thing

'2019-08-15 14:51:25 Starting Fan Control
2019-08-15 14:51:25 Setting fans to full speed
2019-08-15 14:51:35 Fan:Temp, FAN1234(16%):HDD Temp(0°C)
2019-08-15 15:11:13 Fan:Temp, FAN1234(23%):HDD Temp(31°C)
2019-08-15 15:16:24 Fan:Temp, FAN1234(29%):HDD Temp(32°C)
2019-08-15 15:23:37 Fan:Temp, FAN1234(36%):HDD Temp(33°C)
2019-08-15 15:34:56 Fan:Temp, FAN1234(43%):HDD Temp(34°C)
2019-08-15 18:08:15 Stopping Fan Control
2019-08-15 18:08:15 Setting fans to auto
2019-08-15 18:11:12 Starting Fan Control
2019-08-15 18:11:12 Setting fans to full speed
2019-08-15 18:11:34 Fan:Temp, FAN1234(43%):HDD Temp(34°C)

... BUT my fan speeds do not change as per the log?

The fans are consistently showing at full speed in the dashboard irrespective of what the log entry shows, is this working or not, as i suspect?

My board is a SM X8SIA-F and everything else 'appears' to work, the temp settings are working, it's just that the board appears to have full control over the fans and not the plugin?

What am i doing wrong here?

1 hour ago, wgstarks said:

Did you actually configure the fans in settings?

I don't have any fans showing in settings, that's the problem, see below.

All i have, even with advanced view switched on is an entry for hard drives.

Everything else, sensor wise seems to be populated and i'm monitoring my ipmi ip address ok so i'm guessing that this plugin for some reason just doesn't support X8 motherboards which is a shame.

If someone can actually confirm that fact cos i don't really know whether that's the case or not, then i'll move on to some sort of off board fan controller which i didnt really want to have to do considering this is a server grade board.

Screenshot_2019-08-15 smtower IPMI.png

Edited by superloopy1
Everything else, sensor wise seems to be populated and i'm monitoring my ipmi ip address ok so i'm guessing that this plugin for some reason just doesn't support X8 motherboards which is a shame.

If someone can actually confirm that fact cos i don't really know whether that's the case or not, then i'll move on to some sort of off board fan controller which i didnt really want to have to do considering this is a server grade board.

329744290_Screenshot_2019-08-15smtowerIPMI.thumb.png.f57d93983798998b81d57cc0698ad1c3.png
The X8 is not supported. The fans aren't controllable with IPMI commands. They may be able to be controlled through the Autofan plugin using the Windbond chip.
27 minutes ago, dmacias said:
2 hours ago, superloopy1 said:

329744290_Screenshot_2019-08-15smtowerIPMI.thumb.png.f57d93983798998b81d57cc0698ad1c3.png

The X8 is not supported. The fans aren't controllable with IPMI commands. They may be able to be controlled through the Autofan plugin using the Windbond chip.

Ok, that's what i needed to know, i'll get a fan controller for the case.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

I've got a server running a Supermicro X8DTE-F with the IPMI plugin. Has anyone got fan control to work on this board? At the moment the system overheats when doing a couple of transcoding jobs (accompanied by a loud beep on the internal speaker), however the PWM fans stay spinning at low speed

If anyone has any step by step directions to get it working they'd be much appreciated, thanks!

3 hours ago, itfcjim said:

Hi,

I've got a server running a Supermicro X8DTE-F with the IPMI plugin. Has anyone got fan control to work on this board? At the moment the system overheats when doing a couple of transcoding jobs (accompanied by a loud beep on the internal speaker), however the PWM fans stay spinning at low speed

If anyone has any step by step directions to get it working they'd be much appreciated, thanks!

On 8/15/2019 at 5:06 PM, dmacias said:

Edited by wgstarks
7 hours ago, wgstarks said:

Ahh well I feel quite stupid now - apologies!

I'll give the Autofan plugin a try. I just installed it and hit DETECT and nothing happened, so will head over to the support thread there. Please follow me over if you're able to help! 🙂 

• 1 month later...

Hi.  Using a new Supermicro X10srm-TF board.  My board came with Dynatron blower fan.  The whole house sounded like an airplane about to take off (outside the airplane :D) . I can set my fan control via BMC.  Options are Standard, Optimal, Heavy I/O and another.  I can't recall, but one of them is more silent than the others.  It's because the fan revs up and down.  When it's down, it's silent, when up, it's a jet engine.  I have had this issue before with X9SCM-F server board as well.  In the end, I replaced the fan on my X9SCM-F and that solved it.  Currently, I cannot replace my proc fan.  I have to rely on some other work around.  Any tips on how to use this plugin?

Unfortunately, the thread is already up to page 45.  Hope someone can help narrow the scope of what to do.

Hi.  Using a new Supermicro X10srm-TF board.  My board came with Dynatron blower fan.  The whole house sounded like an airplane about to take off (outside the airplane :D) . I can set my fan control via BMC.  Options are Standard, Optimal, Heavy I/O and another.  I can't recall, but one of them is more silent than the others.  It's because the fan revs up and down.  When it's down, it's silent, when up, it's a jet engine.  I have had this issue before with X9SCM-F server board as well.  In the end, I replaced the fan on my X9SCM-F and that solved it.  Currently, I cannot replace my proc fan.  I have to rely on some other work around.  Any tips on how to use this plugin?

Unfortunately, the thread is already up to page 45.  Hope someone can help narrow the scope of what to do.
Try setting the thresholds for the fans. I set FANA to 200 like this. fae804df777d62ee49ca0fca0ae3d340.jpg

***SOLVED***

I changed 

FAN1234 (5200 RPM):

Temperature sensor: From Auto to CPU Temp.  That made the trick!

@dmacias, I'm actually setting FAN 5, for my processor.  I found the part.  currently, it's the following:

## Possible values: Yes/No
    Enable_Deassertion_Event_Lower_Critical_Going_Low                           Yes
    Enable_Deassertion_Event_Lower_Non_Recoverable_Going_Low                    Yes
    Enable_Deassertion_Event_Upper_Critical_Going_High                          Yes
    Enable_Deassertion_Event_Upper_Non_Recoverable_Going_High                   Yes
    ## Give valid input for sensor type = Fan; units = RPM
    Lower_Non_Critical_Threshold                                                700.000000
    Lower_Critical_Threshold                                                    500.000000
    Lower_Non_Recoverable_Threshold                                             300.000000
    Upper_Non_Critical_Threshold                                                25300.000000
    Upper_Critical_Threshold                                                    25400.000000
    Upper_Non_Recoverable_Threshold                                             25500.000000

Seems at 700, it should probably be ok.  The following are my Dynatron R13's settings:

At Duty Cycle 20%: 1000 RPM
At Duty Cycle 50%: 3500 RPM
At Duty Cycle 100%: 7000 RPM

I slide the "LOAD CONFIG @ UNRAID START."  I rebooted Unraid, my NAS' fan remains at 7,900.  Ready for takeoff!

Edited by jang430
additional information
  • 3 weeks later...

I have a Supermicro x9scm-f motherboard and I'm trying to figure out how to get Fan 2 to react to CPU temp.  In the IPMI tool I've been able to connect to the ip and have all the sensors read but I'm only getting the Temp sensor option in Fan Control for Auto, System Temp, Peripheral Temp and HDD Temperature.  How do I go about getting Fan 2 which is my CPU fan to ramp up based on CPU temp?

• 2 weeks later...

Interestingly, I've just tried this plugin because I'm having trouble with my X10 board fans surging.  When I change FAN1234 to "CPU Temp", the fans spool down when I hit Apply.  However, within a few seconds they spool back up.

I've got the IPMI board settings at "Full Speed" hoping for this plugin to throttle them down.  Should I choose a different setting?

Interestingly, I've just tried this plugin because I'm having trouble with my X10 board fans surging.  When I change FAN1234 to "CPU Temp", the fans spool down when I hit Apply.  However, within a few seconds they spool back up.

I've got the IPMI board settings at "Full Speed" hoping for this plugin to throttle them down.  Should I choose a different setting?

For Supermicro boards you need to set the thresholds lower for the fans. Look a few posts back and I explain how.

Also edited the first post with instructions

I was able to change the fan thresholds (went down to 100rpm because my Arctic fans can spin pretty low).  But, it doesn't seem to have an affect.  They're going full blast right now.  Do I need to restart the BMC or something?

image.png.66e29f7e97f96a4afad8eeddbe07216a.png
100 might be too low. Also if they hit 0 that will trigger full speed also. You also need to adjust the fan speed minimum % in the fan control settings to keep the fans above the thresholds you set. If you look at the first post I explained it a little more.