[Plugin] IPMI for unRAID 6.1+

Thanks for responding so quickly.  My fans can go down to 200rpm so that's why i was thinking I should set it lower.  Do you think I need to restart the BMC after making the changes?
If you set the fan min % you should be able to keep them above 200. You shouldn't need to restart the bmc.

Hmm, unfortunately that hasn't seemed to work.  I changed the low thresholds in the Config Editor to "200" and put both fans at 34.3 minimum %.  When I hit "apply" the fans spin down to around 600rpm.  But, within 5 seconds, they speed back up to full blast.

Anything you can think of that i'm doing wrong, or that i can try?

image.png.aae6b30ec404bfd042fe5910839c87b1.png

Edited by ChappyEight
spelling

So I bought a new Supermicro motherboard and this plugin doesn't appear to interact with the BMC correctly.  As soon as I enable Fan control, it automatically changed the Fan Mode in SuperMicro's IPMI settings to Full Speed.  If I then change that to Standard or Optimal, the fan's return to normal operation as per SuperMicro's settings but do not adjust as per the fan control settings in Unraid.

Has this happened to any one else in the past and know of a work around?

5 minutes ago, ChappyEight said:

I've experienced the same issue with my X10.  And, unfortunately, I'm still at the stage where "normal operation" means the fans ramp up and spin down every 5 seconds.  I'm tempted to just buy a manual fan controller and call it a day.

I don't have the ramping issue, that is usually resolved by fixing your thresholds which is pretty easy to do.  My issue is it seems I can't use the Fan Control in Unraid because any time it attempts to interact with the fans it forces Supermicro to change it's fan mode to full speed.

Ever run into this issue?

Capture.JPG.ab27915c38c476eeeecd8870bc7e0a26.JPG
Try using the network to connect instead of local. May be the part of the problem you're seeing with the plugin. Ipmitool won't do anything different than the plugin though. The plugin uses freeipmi to download the actual sensor config then load it. You can use freeipmi also from the command line if you want to. Just a little different syntax.
So I bought a new Supermicro motherboard and this plugin doesn't appear to interact with the BMC correctly.  As soon as I enable Fan control, it automatically changed the Fan Mode in SuperMicro's IPMI settings to Full Speed.  If I then change that to Standard or Optimal, the fan's return to normal operation as per SuperMicro's settings but do not adjust as per the fan control settings in Unraid.

Which board? I have tested on X10 and currently have an X11. The plugin is based on specific ipmi commands for different models. If your bmc firmware isnt updated or consistant with other models this may affect it also. Recently I was made aware also at least one bmc firmware puts spaces in the fan names. The plugin expects FANA, FAN1.... I haven't implemented an update yet to trim out the spaces yet. The full speed setting is intended so the bmc doesn't try controlling the fans while fan control is running.
2 hours ago, dmacias said:
6 hours ago, IamSpartacus said:

Which board? I have tested on X10 and currently have an X11. The plugin is based on specific ipmi commands for different models. If your bmc firmware isnt updated or consistant with other models this may affect it also. Recently I was made aware also at least one bmc firmware puts spaces in the fan names. The plugin expects FANA, FAN1.... I haven't implemented an update yet to trim out the spaces yet. The full speed setting is intended so the bmc doesn't try controlling the fans while fan control is running.

This board with the latest BMC firmware.  No spaces in the fan names.

Oh so it should be set to full speed in IPMI and then Unraid should lower the fan speeds based on the settings in Fan Control?

EDIT:  I got this working.  Now that I know full speed is intended, I just had to fix an issue on my side that was forcing one of my fans to keep ramping up and down.  Even though I manually set thresholds really low (200) my fan control setting was actually causing the fan to go below that causing it to ramp up to full speed.  Once I set a high minimum fan speed % it fixed my issue.

Edited by IamSpartacus

Ok, well I thought I was done.  But apparently no matter what I set for the High temperature threshold for FANA using the HDD Temperature sensor, my fan never ramps up.

If I set the temp sensor to be something like System Temp it works but will not work for HDD temperature.

What are the settings you're using? Just for info, the plugin uses the highest temp hdd not an average. To test I would set the high threshold to the highest temp hdd. Also give it a min or so depending on your interval setting. The see if it spins up to full speed
6 minutes ago, dmacias said:

What are the settings you're using? Just for info, the plugin uses the highest temp hdd not an average. To test I would set the high threshold to the highest temp hdd. Also give it a min or so depending on your interval setting. The see if it spins up to full speed

I'm only polling one drive at the moment (a Samsung 960 Pro NVMe drive).  I've set the high threshold below what the current temp is for that drive and given it a few minutes.  It does nothing even though the HDD Temperature sensor is in fact showing the temperature is above the high threshold.

Capture.PNG

Edited by IamSpartacus

I'm only polling one drive at the moment (a Samsung 960 Pro NVMe drive).  I've set the high threshold below what the current temp is for that drive and given it a few minutes.  It does nothing even though the HDD Temperature sensor is in fact showing the temperature is above the high threshold.
Capture.PNG.94292789413dbb360b41815e1a4209fc.PNG
Maybe the script isn't seeing the hard drive or the temp. Does that hard drive show up in the ignore list? What do you get when you run this command substituting sdX for sdf or whatever the hard drive is.

smartctl -A -n standby /dev/sdX 2>/dev/null| grep -m 1 -i Temperature_Cel | awk '{print $10}'

If nothing just try this

smartctl -A -n standby /dev/${hdd} 2>/dev/null| grep -m 1 -i Temperature

2 minutes ago, dmacias said:

Maybe the script isn't seeing the hard drive or the temp. Does that hard drive show up in the ignore list? What do you get when you run this command substituting sdX for sdf or whatever the hard drive is.

smartctl -A -n standby /dev/sdX 2>/dev/null| grep -m 1 -i Temperature_Cel | awk '{print $10}'

If nothing just try this

smartctl -A -n standby /dev/${hdd} 2>/dev/null| grep -m 1 -i Temperature

image.png.c0898535fc366ed005c1cce95745626c.png

I've recently changed CPU fan from Dynatron R13 to Noctua D9DX i4 3u.  It's way more quiet.  My IPMI settings were set to when using Dynatron.  I can't recall what to change about the fan thresholds.  Can someone point to the link?  I've read from page 45 back to page 40, can't seem to find the guide that says go back and check your fan specifications.