[Plugin] IPMI for unRAID 6.1+

On 1/25/2020 at 2:04 PM, nextgenpotato said:

Hi all,

Today I've added a new fan in the case and started unraid back up and tried to add the readings of the new fan onto dashboard.

Now in IPMI tools, I cannot change any of the settings anymore. The apply button is not responsive.

It's still polling the readings, no problem there.

I think maybe it cannot write into the config file for some reason. It is possible that I may have installed the ipmi tools plugin before I had a root password setup.

Uninstalling and reinstalling didn't help.

Any ideas?

Guys I'm still stuck here, I really need some ideas to troubleshoot this because my BMC doesn't control fans either for whatever reason. All Fans stuck at the same speed, CPU fan included.

It was working at first but 

None of the buttons work, so I cannot change any settings.

I'd appreciate any feedback

g7TDZSbFQJ.png

Hi everyone,

I'm also new to the unRAID world. Maybe one of you guys can help me out.

I have installed the IPMI plugin and it is working great with my Supermicro A2SDi-8C+-HLN4F.

Recently I noticed that sometimes all of my HDDs spin up for no reason when I'm browsing the main unRAID gui for a while.

My guess is that the IPMI plugin is polling all of my HDDs for temperature infos. 

Is there a way to completely disable this? I already increased the Hard Drive Polling Time to 30min.

Every answer is appreciated.

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/25/2020 at 9:14 PM, ogi said:

I managed to restore the functionality I had previously.  First, I disabled "load config @ unraid start", then I restored the BMC to factory settings.  I then booted up and copied fan.cfg, ipmi.cfg into the directory and copy/pasted the contents of ipmi-sensors.config into the editor.  The changes took.

For now I'll leave the system as is, unless there is some debug information you would be interested in having dmacias.

Thanks again for this plugin, if it wasn't for your work, my wife would give me the death glare at every opportunity :D

Ogi i'm running into similar type usses can you please upload your cfg files and what your percentages are i'd like to see how mine differ maybe we can find a correlation...

Thanks,
Aaron

1 hour ago, acbaldwi said:

Ogi i'm running into similar type usses can you please upload your cfg files and what your percentages are i'd like to see how mine differ maybe we can find a correlation...

Thanks,
Aaron

Attached are my fan.cfg and ipmi-sensors.config files which reside in /boot/config/plugins/ipmi

Keep in mind the settings there are for the fans I'm using, in the configuration I have.  I have Noctua iPPC 3000 fans connected to FAN1/2/3, and I have some Noctua 80mm fans connected to FAN5/6.  The CPU fans (92mm, can't remember the model) I have connected in a y-splitter connected to FANA.

One of the things I noticed is that once you remove a fan setting from the config, there is no way to add it back, until you restore the IPMI controller to factory settings, so careful removing fan settings from the sensors config!

ipmi-sensors.config fan.cfg

7 minutes ago, ogi said:

Attached are my fan.cfg and ipmi-sensors.config files which reside in /boot/config/plugins/ipmi

Keep in mind the settings there are for the fans I'm using, in the configuration I have.  I have Noctua iPPC 3000 fans connected to FAN1/2/3, and I have some Noctua 80mm fans connected to FAN5/6.  The CPU fans (92mm, can't remember the model) I have connected in a y-splitter connected to FANA.

One of the things I noticed is that once you remove a fan setting from the config, there is no way to add it back, until you restore the IPMI controller to factory settings, so careful removing fan settings from the sensors config!

ipmi-sensors.config 97.93 kB · 0 downloads fan.cfg 354 B · 0 downloads

thanks I appreciate it. Did you adjust the fan percentages at all on the gui?

2 minutes ago, acbaldwi said:

thanks I appreciate it. Did you adjust the fan percentages at all on the gui?

I did, those settings should be captured in fan.cfg, but aren't easy to read, here a screenshot from my GUI

image.png.ad69dbbed3247323c52bb5279b31cb99.png

These settings have kept things pretty quiet for me hard drives never get more than 45C during a party check.  Next time I power off the machine, I'm going to install the Noctua low-noise adapters for my CPU fans, and the 2 fans connected to FAN5/6 (but I haven't done that yet).

• 2 weeks later...

I have a problem.

I have a Supermicro SuperServer 6027R-E1R12T running a PWS-920P-SQ PSU and X9DRH-7TF V1.02 motherboard. The fans are very loud so I wanted to control fan speed so installed IPMI.

Once installed I went to Fan Control, turned it on to Yes and then clicked apply. Instantly, the fan speed ramped up to be deafeningly loud. The server is in a very noise-sensitive location so I immediately toggled it off and clicked apply again but the fan speed remained the same. I uninstalled IPMI and still had the same issue. I then rebooted and had the same issue as soon as unRAID initialised.

So I went for the final option and made a new USB drive for unRAID but as soon as the system loads unRAID the fans spin up to max.

I've read the note about Supermicro boards in the OP I can't have it this loud for long enough to boot up, install plug ins and then mess about with the settings. I just want to go back to default fan speeds with a completely fresh install.

How can I reset the fans to the default settings after whatever IPMI has done to mess them up? I'm starting from a completely fresh install of unRAID.

Managed to fix it. Even though the server is on 192.168.0.52, did a scan and would a web server running on 192.168.0.53 which allowed me to log in and manually change the BIOS fan speed. Somehow IPMI had permanently altered this setting!

Edited by cinereus
On 5/7/2015 at 5:08 PM, dmacias said:

Supermicro Motherboards

You need to set the thresholds for the fans to a lower value or they will spin up to full speed constantly. The reason for this is because the default threshold is usually 700 rpms. So if the fan's rpms drop below this the bmc spins the fans up to full speed. I have mine set all three thresholds for each fan at 200 - 300 rpms. You can also use the fan speed minimum % setting to help keep the fans above the thresholds you set. I have mine set to 28-34%.

To set the thresholds for to the config editor tab. Then select sensors config and scroll down to each fan and change the thresholds. I set all three thresholds for FANA to 200. The fans on this header are for my hard drives. I set all the other fans to 300. These are my case and CPU fans. Just click save after you're done. You may have to click load config @ unraid start if the settings aren't persistent after a reboot.

Okay so I've been playing about with this and can't get it to work. It won't let you set 200 but even if you try 300 for all the settings, the fans instantly spin up to max speed. If you go to the Supermicro IPMI web gui you can see that Configuration > Fan Mode has been changed to "Full Speed" instead of "Optimal Speed". I then tried tons of other permutations of threshold values.

image.png.d702110db52afc1b4a32886c52932ea4.png

Does anyone have working settings for Supermicro boards? I've read tons of threads about how to set the thresholds and precisely what these four settings mean and nothing seems to work for this particular board.

Edited by cinereus

Okay so I've been playing about with this and can't get it to work. It won't let you set 200 but even if you try 300 for all the settings, the fans instantly spin up to max speed. If you go to the Supermicro IPMI web gui you can see that Configuration > Fan Mode has been changed to "Full Speed" instead of "Optimal Speed". I then tried tons of other permutations of threshold values.

image.png.d702110db52afc1b4a32886c52932ea4.png

Does anyone have working settings for Supermicro boards? I've read tons of threads about how to set the thresholds and precisely what these four settings mean and nothing seems to work for this particular board.

The fan control script automatically set the fans to full speed when the script is initialized. This is so the bmc and script aren't competing and in case of script failure, your hard drives or cpu don't melt. The thresholds may also work in 150 RPM increments depending on board. You also need to set the fan min to a percentage that keeps the fan above that threshold. Monitor your rpms and try and set what they are at before full speed
  • 2 weeks later...
On 11/18/2019 at 1:13 PM, craigr said:

I've been using this plug in for a very long time and absolutely love it.  Thanks so much!

I have a request.  Would it be possible to move the "IPMI Summary" on the Dashboard from the top of the page to the bottom of the page?  With the newer look of unRAID the look and layout for the IPMI Summary just down't match and I'd also like to have access to other information at the top of the page.

A silly cosmetic tweak I know, but I just thought I would ask.

Kind regards,

craigr

+1

• Like 1

Hey, 

thanks for your work on this, it looks like I managed to break something after a reboot and it no longer sees network ipmi, it doesn't report any issues and using ipmitool from nerdpack in console reports the sensors correctly. I can only see the hdd's and hdd temp reported from unraid.

Gave it another reboot but still didn't do anything.

Hey, 

thanks for your work on this, it looks like I managed to break something after a reboot and it no longer sees network ipmi, it doesn't report any issues and using ipmitool from nerdpack in console reports the sensors correctly. I can only see the hdd's and hdd temp reported from unraid.

Gave it another reboot but still didn't do anything.

A better check would be to use the included freeipmi from the console since that's what the plugin uses. Very similar commands to ipmitool. ipmi-sensors is the freeipmi command. I also include with the plugin non hyphenated versions that take settings from the plugin (e.g. username, password, ip address) and plug the info into the console command. So if you have network mode set up in the plugin, the command "ipmisensors" will use those settings.

Also you might check that some browser auto fill didn't mess up your password.
1 hour ago, dmacias said:

A better check would be to use the included freeipmi from the console since that's what the plugin uses. Very similar commands to ipmitool. ipmi-sensors is the freeipmi command. I also include with the plugin non hyphenated versions that take settings from the plugin (e.g. username, password, ip address) and plug the info into the console command. So if you have network mode set up in the plugin, the command "ipmisensors" will use those settings.

Also you might check that some browser auto fill didn't mess up your password.

Thanks I'll give that a try, I've now removed any other addons or packages that might interfere with ipmi including the nerdpack pkg that I've used ipmitool with. Did try to recreate the connection few times, previously on bad pass it'd just throw a conn refused in logs but this time I got nothing and the fact that ipmitool worked on it's work (without configuring it) would've made me believe it created the connection fine. failing that, I'll give it a good ol turn it on and back off again.

4 hours ago, Mizerka said:

Thanks I'll give that a try, I've now removed any other addons or packages that might interfere with ipmi including the nerdpack pkg that I've used ipmitool with. Did try to recreate the connection few times, previously on bad pass it'd just throw a conn refused in logs but this time I got nothing and the fact that ipmitool worked on it's work (without configuring it) would've made me believe it created the connection fine. failing that, I'll give it a good ol turn it on and back off again.

hmmm so ended up resetting bmc and changing ip addressing and looks like it picked it up afterwards, ipmisensors reported connection timeout, so probably was networking/arp issue. anyway, up and running again. 

btw, being able to modify fan thresh from tool would be nice :) my x9 board really didn't like my noctua's getting down to 300rpm and assumed my case fans are fine up to 18k rpm. just supermicro things. Also am I right in thinking fan control only control fans 1-4 and fan A? or does it just specify naming and actually does all numbered and then all lettered?

Edited by Mizerka

you can definitely modify the thresholds from within the app; you need to go to config settings and select sensors from the drop down.  Careful removing a fan, you cannot get it back (unless you factory reset the BMC controller). On my x9 board, I can only set the thresholds on increments of 75.  For example I can set a threshold at 750, or lower it to 675, but I cannot set it to 700 even.

56 minutes ago, Mizerka said:

btw, being able to modify fan thresh from tool would be nice :) 

Huh? You can do that now, unless your motherboard somehow does not allow that in the tool.  I am controlling the speed/thresholds of four fans (others are not PWM fans). Here's a partial view of my ASRock board fan settings in the IPMI plugin.  Fan speeds auto increment between the thresholds based on specified temps.

image.thumb.png.900dc5f61afb820c5ab91ff4bab6999f.png

Edited by Hoopster
20 minutes ago, ogi said:

you can definitely modify the thresholds from within the app; you need to go to config settings and select sensors from the drop down.  Careful removing a fan, you cannot get it back (unless you factory reset the BMC controller). On my x9 board, I can only set the thresholds on increments of 75.  For example I can set a threshold at 750, or lower it to 675, but I cannot set it to 700 even.

maybe I missed it then, it only allows for fan control, but not modifying treshhold that ipmi actually uses, in supermicro case if a fan falls below critical error it ramps it to 100% (like mentioned in op), so I had to get ipmitool and manually change it through console rather than addin

11 minutes ago, Hoopster said:

Huh? You can do that now, unless your motherboard somehow does not allow that in the tool.  I am controlling the speed of four fans (others are not PWM fans). Here's a partial view of my ASRock board fan settings in the IPMI plugin.

image.thumb.png.900dc5f61afb820c5ab91ff4bab6999f.png

I'm talking about fan thresholds that ipmi will use to report fan speed errors etc, pretty sure fan control panel only for speed modulation based on sensor reading. Also in my case I only see this;

image.thumb.png.f1e6cc334042e85ffc403d54cb0a89be.pngimageproxy.php?img=&key=e5eec7c5c933ca16imageproxy.php?img=&key=e5eec7c5c933ca16imageproxy.php?img=&key=e5eec7c5c933ca16

unlike the nice fan by fan, I get fan1234 which are 4 pwm headers, which is weird but whatever I can deal with that.

And yes, this works fine, i.e. if I pop above on, I can see my fan1 and 2 cpu fans ramp up to 1700rpm from 900 it idles at normally, but if I were to do something like 0.3 to 100, they'd drop below 400 rpm triggering alerts every 10seconds.

here's my tresh values, so unless  I force pwm within values fan either won't like or bmc reports according to it's logic (good or not), it's not ideal, for what is just a simple tresh command to bmc

image.thumb.png.1d39d6d20a0b36835250d3356d83a38f.png

Edited by Mizerka
3 minutes ago, Mizerka said:

I'm talking about fan thresholds that ipmi will use to report fan speed errors etc

OK, I misunderstood that. 

3 minutes ago, Mizerka said:

unlike the nice fan by fan, I get fan1234 which are 4 pwm headers

Must be how your supermicro board reports fan headers to the tool.

I know every motherboard is different, but with my ASRock board, I needed to go into the BIOS and select the H/W Monitoring section which forced it to read and populate all fan headers, sensors, etc. that could be monitored.  Once I had done this, all the individual fan headers and sensors appeared in the IPMI Tool drop downs.

9 minutes ago, Hoopster said:

OK, I misunderstood that. 

Must be how your supermicro board reports fan headers to the tool.

I know every motherboard is different, but with my ASRock board, I needed to go into the BIOS and select the H/W Monitoring section which forced it to read and populate all fan headers, sensors, etc. that could be monitored.  Once I had done this, all the individual fan headers and sensors appeared in the IPMI Tool drop downs.

Thanks I'll have a look but can't remember seeing an option like that there.

also playing around with fan control more, it just sets bmc to full speed instead of controlling it, hmmm, to be fixed another day

The thresholds can be edited here. See image. The Supermicro and ASRock fan control operate very differently. With ASRock you can control each fan header individually. With Supermicro it is usually FANA controlled separately and then all other fans together. There's only two commands. Hence FANA settings and FAN1234 settings. a15a37a20a2529f7315d6f5510bd3f29.jpg&key=dd61236875aeebc619aafcedeb949a49d2da0d774d9ed6ee1946f4290202c827

Edit. Also for Supermicro the ipmi fan mode it set to full speed setting to avoid bmc intervention

15 minutes ago, dmacias said:

The thresholds can be edited here. See image. The Supermicro and ASRock fan control operate very differently. With ASRock you can control each fan header individually. With Supermicro it is usually FANA controlled separately and then all other fans together. There's only two commands. Hence FANA settings and FAN1234 settings. a15a37a20a2529f7315d6f5510bd3f29.jpg&key=dd61236875aeebc619aafcedeb949a49d2da0d774d9ed6ee1946f4290202c827

Edit. Also for Supermicro the ipmi fan mode it set to full speed setting to avoid bmc intervention

Okay, that makes sense, I'll play with values a bit, right now they're bouncing between 1400 and 2000k for 1600rpm rated isn't ideal, there could be some polling issue here.

I'll have a look at the config editor as well, how would that interact with values already set manually would it overwrite it or only apply during fan control functions?

Okay, that makes sense, I'll play with values a bit, right now they're bouncing between 1400 and 2000k for 1600rpm rated isn't ideal, there could be some polling issue here.

I'll have a look at the config editor as well, how would that interact with values already set manually would it overwrite it or only apply during fan control functions?
It allows you to edit the values already set in the bmc. Instead of commands, it's a print out of the config. You edit them and then the whole config is uploaded back to the bmc.
38 minutes ago, dmacias said:
44 minutes ago, Mizerka said:

It allows you to edit the values already set in the bmc. Instead of commands, it's a print out of the config. You edit them and then the whole config is uploaded back to the bmc.

cool, just noticed load on boot slider as well.

still no luck at controlling the fans though, I must be doing something wrong, here's what I've set currently;

image.thumb.png.fae6ef3395c63f362d7354e35da4a7a9.png

Which I'm assuming will set fans 1 2 3 and 4 based on cpu1 sensor (30c ish atm) report/alert below 20c and above 65c, pwm (or I guess ipmi hex control for supermicro?) will force it at 20% and let it rise until 30.1%

i.e. keep it between 20 and 30% of it's own rated pwm (I forget my pwm wave but pretty sure it should know it's 0.3 and 100% and not need raw rpm values).

but they still just ramp up to 2k rpm and don't drop.

edit; grafana in place for this now, you can see rise when fan control was enabled and never went down after few fluxuations;

image.thumb.png.df88d88ec9337df9c97bd4a59a066539.png

or am I looking at this wrong and I should be using upper criticals etc to restrict fan speeds?

edit2;

logs btw;

2020-05-07 22:46:15 Fan:Temp, FAN1234(66%):CPU1 Temp(37°C), FANA(66%):Peripheral Temp(39°C)
2020-05-07 22:47:16 Fan:Temp, FAN1234(68%):CPU1 Temp(40°C), FANA(66%):Peripheral Temp(39°C)
2020-05-07 22:47:46 Fan:Temp, FAN1234(66%):CPU1 Temp(38°C), FANA(66%):Peripheral Temp(39°C)
2020-05-07 22:49:16 Fan:Temp, FAN1234(65%):CPU1 Temp(35°C), FANA(66%):Peripheral Temp(39°C)
2020-05-07 22:53:18 Fan:Temp, FAN1234(66%):CPU1 Temp(37°C), FANA(66%):Peripheral Temp(39°C)
2020-05-07 22:53:48 Fan:Temp, FAN1234(65%):CPU1 Temp(35°C), FANA(66%):Peripheral Temp(39°C)
2020-05-07 22:55:18 Fan:Temp, FAN1234(65%):CPU1 Temp(36°C), FANA(66%):Peripheral Temp(39°C)
2020-05-07 22:55:49 Fan:Temp, FAN1234(65%):CPU1 Temp(35°C), FANA(66%):Peripheral Temp(39°C)
2020-05-07 22:56:19 fan control config file updated, reloading settings
2020-05-07 22:56:19 Fan:Temp, FAN1234(41%):CPU1 Temp(34°C), FANA(45%):Peripheral Temp(39°C)
2020-05-07 22:57:49 Fan:Temp, FAN1234(44%):CPU1 Temp(36°C), FANA(45%):Peripheral Temp(39°C)
2020-05-07 22:58:20 Fan:Temp, FAN1234(43%):CPU1 Temp(35°C), FANA(45%):Peripheral Temp(39°C)
2020-05-07 22:58:50 Fan:Temp, FAN1234(44%):CPU1 Temp(36°C), FANA(45%):Peripheral Temp(39°C)
2020-05-07 22:59:10 fan control config file updated, reloading settings
2020-05-07 22:59:10 Fan:Temp, FAN1234(20%):CPU1 Temp(35°C), FANA(20%):Peripheral Temp(39°C)
2020-05-07 23:02:11 fan control config file updated, reloading settings
2020-05-07 23:02:11 Fan:Temp, FAN1234(23%):CPU1 Temp(34°C), FANA(23%):Peripheral Temp(39°C)
2020-05-07 23:23:08 fan control config file updated, reloading settings
2020-05-07 23:23:08 Fan:Temp, FAN1234(30%):CPU1 Temp(34°C), FANA(23%):Peripheral Temp(38°C)
2020-05-07 23:24:39 fan control config file updated, reloading settings
2020-05-07 23:25:32 Stopping Fan Control
2020-05-07 23:25:32 Setting fans to auto
2020-05-07 23:27:27 Starting Fan Control
2020-05-07 23:27:27 Setting fans to full speed
2020-05-07 23:27:49 Fan:Temp, FAN1234(30%):(0°C), FANA(20%):(0°C)

so looks like it's setting it correctly... at least tool believes so, but despite that, fans are still sitting at 1900-2000 (the fan5/6 are 1800rpm rated and are on 1700-1800)

fun fact, you can set minimum above maximum, also logs with correct values

2020-05-07 23:33:05 Setting fans to auto
2020-05-07 23:34:26 Starting Fan Control
2020-05-07 23:34:26 Setting fans to full speed
2020-05-07 23:34:36 Fan:Temp, FAN1234(20%):CPU1 Temp(35°C), FANA(25%):System Temp(35°C)

no changes to actual rpm

edit3;

'Configure' button tests your fans and determines their location for fan control. All fans will initially be set to full speed. Each location will be tested at one third speed to determine which fan is present. This will take about 1 min. On completion fans will return to auto. You can start fan control

sounds useful, but doesn't exist? anymore?

Edited by Mizerka