[Plugin] IPMI for unRAID 6.1+

• 2 weeks later...
I searched this topic for the keyword: Fahrenheit but no results came up.  I find it strange that I'm the only one that would ask how to change the temp readings from C to F?
I think because most people are familiar with Celsius drive and cpu temp ranges even if F is local temp unit. So if you change the display temp unit under /Settings/DisplaySettings then the footer will show F. The Readings will still show C but I can fix that easily. Same for Fan Control Settings.
18 hours ago, dmacias said:

I think because most people are familiar with Celsius drive and cpu temp ranges even if F is local temp unit. So if you change the display temp unit under /Settings/DisplaySettings then the footer will show F. The Readings will still show C but I can fix that easily. Same for Fan Control Settings.

Yup, my Footer shows F but everything else is in C  - I guess you're right though.  Everyone is pretty much used to C temps for hardware. 

I still find myself googiling the conversion rate from C to F just to make sure my temps aren't too high...

14 minutes ago, CoZ said:

I still find myself googiling the conversion rate from C to F just to make sure my temps aren't too high...

Fast rule of thumb that works for me 28=82 roughly. That, plus you know (or should) that 100=212 and 0=32, it's fairly easy to assume that 30 is getting warm, 40 is hot, and 50 is no bueno for steady long term, somewhat acceptable for short spikes of nvme writing.

Who cares what the specific number is, you just need a general feel for cold, hot, emergency.

• Like 1
problem with footer display since update. it doesn't look like its refreshing properly, it just keeps duplicating itself. does it both in Chrome and firefox
screenshot #1
256922883_ScreenShot2020-09-15at9_36_36AM.thumb.png.e794a65921c8b103a0f154f40da4fc5d.png

screenshot #2262596865_ScreenShot2020-09-15at9_36_52AM.thumb.png.39cfb609fdbdc6999f0693d552d2851b.png

screenshot #3

723982278_ScreenShot2020-09-15at9_38_50AM.thumb.png.79a2f51a1df9d96185d976b88d893646.png

Fixed one typo but forgot the other. I'll fix when I get home. Until then you can run this to fix.

sed -i 's/impitemps/ipmitemps/g' /usr/local/emhttp/plugins/ipmi/IPMIButton.page

• Like 1
i just swapped motherboards and now the IPMI tool says this on the fan controls

Warning: array_key_exists() expects parameter 2 to be array, null given in /usr/local/emhttp/plugins/ipmi/include/ipmi_helpers.php on line 365

image.thumb.png.772268e80905c139d8fb58d2a54a1b19.png

image.png.c7cae52884aa5643796fb542668ec028.png

You should unistall the plugin and remove or rename the plugin folder on the flash drive (/boot/config/plugins/ipmi). Then reinstall and setup for new motherboard.

I often notice that one or more fans change to full speed without a reason. Disabling and enabling the fan control fixes the problem every time. But until then the fans remain at full speed.
I've already adjusted the IPMI internal lower threshold values to 0 RPM manually, but it seems that the internal regulation of my Supermicro X11SCH-LN4F board still intervenes, as my Noctua fans are probably running so low that the board doesn't recognize the speed anymore. Actually I already set the minimum speed to just over 30%.
Is there any solution that could detect this at non-critical temperatures so that the fans don't spin up?
Also, I've noticed that all fans in a group spin with a 100 RPM difference even though they have the same minimum and maximum speed.

Edited by kennymc.c
I often notice that one or more fans change to full speed without a reason. Disabling and enabling the fan control fixes the problem every time. But until then the fans remain at full speed.
I've already adjusted the IPMI internal lower threshold values to 0 RPM manually, but it seems that the internal regulation of my Supermicro X11SCH-LN4F board still intervenes, as my Noctua fans are probably running so low that the board doesn't recognize the speed anymore. Actually I already set the minimum speed to just over 30%.
Is there any solution that could detect this at non-critical temperatures so that the fans don't spin up?
Also, I've noticed that all fans in a group spin with a 100 RPM difference even though they have the same minimum and maximum speed.
I don't think a threshold of 0 works with Supermicro boards. When I had an ASRock board I could set it to 0 and actually turn the fans off. On my Supermicro I have the ipmi thresholds set to 200 or 300 and set the fan control minimum to keep the fans above that. Fans randomly spinning up to full speed is usually a symptom of incorrect threshold and minimum settings.
5 hours ago, dmacias said:
6 hours ago, kennymc.c said:

I don't think a threshold of 0 works with Supermicro boards. When I had an ASRock board I could set it to 0 and actually turn the fans off. On my Supermicro I have the ipmi thresholds set to 200 or 300 and set the fan control minimum to keep the fans above that. Fans randomly spinning up to full speed is usually a symptom of incorrect threshold and minimum settings.

I had already experimented a bit with the threshold values before. If all 3 values are below the minimum revolution it seems to work ok, but today I noticed an unexplainable revolution increase of all fans.
I have now set the lower thresholds to 100 200 300. I'm surprised that the fans run close to their minimum revolutions despite the minimum set to 30%. Or did I misunderstand the percentage setting? The fans should then run at 30% of their RPM range, right? According to the log, the fans also run at the corresponding percentage values

Hi folks, just wanted to report something strange that I believe was linked to this plugin:

A while ago I started noticing unexpected directories appear in the /mnt directory on my server, specifically directories called /.config and /.local. These have never existed before and I haven't recently added any new plugins to my server that would have created them. I also checked all of my docker container mappings and none are linked to these directories. I then tried deleting them but they kept reappeared. Upon further inspection .cache and .config seem to be related to Midnight Commander as they both a directory called mc in them. In the .local directory I found the following structure: /.local/share/mc/mcedit. However, in the /.freeipmi directory there was a subdirectory called sdr-cache with a file in it called sdr-cache-<my-server-name>.localhost. This file was difficult to read because it was not in UTF encoding, however I was able to make out lines that looked like the IPMI plugin out put. Because of this I tried deleting the IPMI plugin and have found that none of these unexpected directories have been recreated. Any idea why that could have been happening?

Hi folks, just wanted to report something strange that I believe was linked to this plugin:

A while ago I started noticing unexpected directories appear in the /mnt directory on my server, specifically directories called /.config and /.local. These have never existed before and I haven't recently added any new plugins to my server that would have created them. I also checked all of my docker container mappings and none are linked to these directories. I then tried deleting them but they kept reappeared. Upon further inspection .cache and .config seem to be related to Midnight Commander as they both a directory called mc in them. In the .local directory I found the following structure: /.local/share/mc/mcedit. However, in the /.freeipmi directory there was a subdirectory called sdr-cache with a file in it called sdr-cache-.localhost. This file was difficult to read because it was not in UTF encoding, however I was able to make out lines that looked like the IPMI plugin out put. Because of this I tried deleting the IPMI plugin and have found that none of these unexpected directories have been recreated. Any idea why that could have been happening?

Not sure. Those should be in your /root directory. Somehow you have the root user home directory redirected to /mnt