sshd:x:33:33:sshd:/:/bin/false
gdm:x:42:42:GDM:/var/state/gdm:/bin/false
avahi:x:61:214:Avahi Daemon User:/dev/null:/bin/false
avahi-autoipd:x:62:62:Avahi AutoIP Daemon User:/dev/null:/bin/false
messagebus:x:81:81::/dev/null:/bin/false
pop:x:90:90:POP:/:/bin/false
nobody:x:99:100:nobody:/:/bin/false
ntp:x:44:44:User for NTP:/:/bin/false
tss:x:59:59:Account used by the trousers package to sandbox the tcsd daemon:/:/bin/false

Sorry, what should I be looking for in there? This is what mine looks like now:

root:x:0:0::/mnt:/bin/bashbin:x:1:1:bin:/bin:/bin/falsedaemon:x:2:2:daemon:/sbin:/bin/falseadm:x:3:4:adm:/var/log:/bin/falselp:x:4:7:lp:/var/spool/lpd:/bin/falsemail:x:8:12:mail:/:/bin/falsenews:x:9:13:news:/usr/lib/news:/bin/falseuucp:x:10:14:uucp:/var/spool/uucppublic:/bin/falseftp:x:14:50::/home/ftp:/bin/falsesmmsp:x:25:25:smmsp:/var/spool/clientmqueue:/bin/falsemysql:x:27:27:MySQL:/var/lib/mysql:/bin/falserpc:x:32:32:RPC portmap user:/:/bin/falsesshd:x:33:33:sshd:/:/bin/falsegdm:x:42:42:GDM:/var/state/gdm:/bin/falseavahi:x:61:214:Avahi Daemon User:/dev/null:/bin/falseavahi-autoipd:x:62:62:Avahi AutoIP Daemon User:/dev/null:/bin/falsemessagebus:x:81:81::/dev/null:/bin/falsepop:x:90:90:POP:/:/bin/falsenobody:x:99:100:nobody:/:/bin/falsentp:x:44:44:User for NTP:/:/bin/falsetss:x:59:59:Account used by the trousers package to sandbox the tcsd daemon:/:/bin/false

Just change
root:x:0:0::/mnt:/bin/bash

to

root:x:0:0::/root:/bin/bash

or some other directory of your choice besides /mnt
Then restart the server

Hey mate!

Just trying to use this plugin and getting the "fan is not configured" messages when trying to run the "Configure" button.fan_not_configured.thumb.png.c0f7cf73ccdecf0f67e34a44b338497d.png

If I were to guess, the ipmi raw commands that the plugin is running behind the scenes aren't compatible with this for some reason? As per below:

no_fans_found.png.ef4afa9d17780c32b02d0f9c93667e74.png

I'm unsure as to what is going on here, its a brand new board which is probably running into some new compatibility issue with ipmi maybe?

Motherboard: Asrock Rack X570D4U

Anything that I can try to debug this further? Or a anything else I can provide?

Otherwise this plugin is quite good, appreciate the work with this :)

Edited by cakes044
Edited motherboard name.

I don't see the config button on the Fan Control page.  I have updated my motherboard since the plugin was originally installed.  However, I uninstalled the plugin and deleted /boot/config/plugins/ipmi/ dir & files.  When I turn Fan Control on, the profile Full is selected and my fans go full speed and don't throttle down as much as I like.  Normally I run on the Standard mode and it's pretty tolerable.  Any ideas?

This is a nice plugin @dmacias thank you!  I just tried setting it up on my ASRock E3C236D2I and think I got fan control working.... kind of.

Couple of questions:

• my FRNT_FAN1 has a max RPM of 1500, but your plugin keeps detecting it as 3000 or 2900 RPM.  Is there a way to tweak this?
  • my REAR_FAN1 is not detected when I hit the "Configure" button, even though its RPM can be read out.  Am I correct in assuming this is because it's a non-PWM fan?
  • lastly, do I need to switch off any kind of "smart" fan control in the BIOS for this to work?

Thanks in advance, and once again great job on this plugin.

Hi everyone. This plugin is fantastic and its almost working flawlessly for me! My question regards the actual number of "fan controls"...

I have not found a clear answer in this thread...why does the Fan Settings section only show Fan1234, FanA? Do I need to do some additional configuration to break out the fans into separate controls?

My board, a supermicro x9dr7-ln4f, supports Fans 1-6, A & B. I can see all of the connected fans with readouts in available sensors. with ipmisensors, and in the sensors config for this plugin (set all my thresholds individually) -- but can only control them in two "zones", I guess, based on Fan1234/FanA. 

ipmisensors -t fan
ID  | Name | Type | Reading    | Units | Event
406 | FAN2 | Fan  | 825.00     | RPM   | 'OK'
607 | FAN5 | Fan  | 825.00     | RPM   | 'OK'
674 | FAN6 | Fan  | 675.00     | RPM   | 'OK'
741 | FANA | Fan  | 825.00     | RPM   | 'OK'

This is working fine but I would like to have individual control over each, if possible.

EDIT: I've had this plugin installed for a long while (but always updated)...do I need to delete configs and reinstall the plugin?

Edited by FoxxMD
Hey mate!

Just trying to use this plugin and getting the "fan is not configured" messages when trying to run the "Configure" button.fan_not_configured.thumb.png.c0f7cf73ccdecf0f67e34a44b338497d.png

If I were to guess, the ipmi raw commands that the plugin is running behind the scenes aren't compatible with this for some reason? As per below:

I'm unsure as to what is going on here, its a brand new board which is probably running into some new compatibility issue with ipmi maybe?

Anything that I can try to debug this further? Or a anything else I can provide?
Otherwise this plugin is quite good, appreciate the work with this
You are probably correct that the ipmi commands may be different for this board. I would need the correct commands to make it work.
  • Like 2
5 hours ago, dmacias said:
On 10/2/2020 at 9:21 AM, cakes044 said:
Hey mate!

Otherwise this plugin is quite good, appreciate the work with this emoji4.png

You are probably correct that the ipmi commands may be different for this board. I would need the correct commands to make it work.

I have emailed Asrock support on this to see what the correct commands are, doesn't look like their official guide over here is correct for my board:

https://www.asrockrack.com/support/faq.asp?id=38

Are there any ways I can figure out the raw commands to use via the ipmitool that you are aware of? I haven't had much luck searching for that answer, I'm more than happy to debug this at a lower level if I knew where to look.

• Like 1
I don't see the config button on the Fan Control page.  I have updated my motherboard since the plugin was originally installed.  However, I uninstalled the plugin and deleted /boot/config/plugins/ipmi/ dir & files.  When I turn Fan Control on, the profile Full is selected and my fans go full speed and don't throttle down as much as I like.  Normally I run on the Standard mode and it's pretty tolerable.  Any ideas?
The full speed is turned on to eliminate chance of ipmi interference. Try adjusting the settings more.

This is a nice plugin @dmacias thank you!  I just tried setting it up on my ASRock E3C236D2I and think I got fan control working.... kind of.

Couple of questions:

• my FRNT_FAN1 has a max RPM of 1500, but your plugin keeps detecting it as 3000 or 2900 RPM.  Is there a way to tweak this?
  • my REAR_FAN1 is not detected when I hit the "Configure" button, even though its RPM can be read out.  Am I correct in assuming this is because it's a non-PWM fan?
  • lastly, do I need to switch off any kind of "smart" fan control in the BIOS for this to work?
Thanks in advance, and once again great job on this plugin.

Not sure on the RPM difference. Something to do with the fan or ipmi but not much I can do. You are correct on the PWM requirements. I have the fan control turn off the smart control.

• Like 1
I have emailed Asrock support on this to see what the correct commands are, doesn't look like their official guide over here is correct for my board:

https://www.asrockrack.com/support/faq.asp?id=38

Are there any ways I can figure out the raw commands to use via the ipmitool that you are aware of? I haven't had much luck searching for that answer, I'm more than happy to debug this at a lower level if I knew where to look.

I added the raw commands to the OP. Maybe the ASRock dual cpu commands work.

I see it lists the commands in the link. Do you have PWM fans?

Hi everyone. This plugin is fantastic and its almost working flawlessly for me! My question regards the actual number of "fan controls"...

I have not found a clear answer in this thread...why does the Fan Settings section only show Fan1234, FanA? Do I need to do some additional configuration to break out the fans into separate controls?

My board, a supermicro x9dr7-ln4f, supports Fans 1-6, A & B. I can see all of the connected fans with readouts in available sensors. with ipmisensors, and in the sensors config for this plugin (set all my thresholds individually) -- but can only control them in two "zones", I guess, based on Fan1234/FanA. 
ipmisensors -t fanID  | Name | Type | Reading    | Units | Event406 | FAN2 | Fan  | 825.00     | RPM   | 'OK'607 | FAN5 | Fan  | 825.00     | RPM   | 'OK'674 | FAN6 | Fan  | 675.00     | RPM   | 'OK'741 | FANA | Fan  | 825.00     | RPM   | 'OK'

This is working fine but I would like to have individual control over each, if possible.

EDIT: I've had this plugin installed for a long while (but always updated)...do I need to delete configs and reinstall the plugin?

Sorry, there's no individual control with the Supermicro boards.
  • Thanks 1
6 minutes ago, dmacias said:

I added the raw commands to the OP. Maybe the ASRock dual cpu commands work.

I see it lists the commands in the link. Do you have PWM fans?

Yeah I've tried the dual CPU commands and no results.

Yeah all Noctua PWM fans.

Here is the output of trying to send the command via the terminal:

root@tower:~# ipmi-raw 00 3a 01 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 --debug
=====================================================
OEM - Unknown Request
[  HEX DUMP ..... ] = HEX[ 9B]
[ 01h 00h 00h 00h 00h 00h 00h 00h ]
[ 00h ]
OEM - Unknown Response
[  HEX DUMP ..... ] = HEX[ 2B]
[ 01h C1h ]
rcvd: 01 C1

Looks like the controller is not recognizing it as a valid request. :(

root@tower:~# ipmi-raw 00 3a 01 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 --debug=====================================================OEM - Unknown Request=====================================================[  HEX DUMP ..... ] = HEX[ 9B][ 01h 00h 00h 00h 00h 00h 00h 00h ][ 00h ]=====================================================OEM - Unknown Response=====================================================[  HEX DUMP ..... ] = HEX[ 2B][ 01h C1h ]rcvd: 01 C1

Looks like the controller is not recognizing it as a valid request.

Maybe try ipmitool. Could be a freeipmi problem. Also is the bmc firmware up to date.
1 minute ago, dmacias said:
4 minutes ago, cakes044 said:

root@tower:~# ipmi-raw 00 3a 01 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 --debug=====================================================OEM - Unknown Request=====================================================[  HEX DUMP ..... ] = HEX[ 9B][ 01h 00h 00h 00h 00h 00h 00h 00h ][ 00h ]=====================================================OEM - Unknown Response=====================================================[  HEX DUMP ..... ] = HEX[ 2B][ 01h C1h ]rcvd: 01 C1

Looks like the controller is not recognizing it as a valid request. emoji20.png

Maybe try ipmitool. Could be a freeipmi problem. Also is the bmc firmware up to date.

Yeah tried that with the same results, well the thing is, this is a brand new board and I dont have any drivers to downloads at the Asrock website:

https://www.asrockrack.com/general/productdetail.asp?Model=X570D4U#Specifications

Never had a BMC board before, is updating the firmware on the BMC wise if not specified by the manufacturer?

Might also help to see the output of the sensors and the fans:

root@tower:~# ipmisensors -t fan
ID | Name   | Type | Reading    | Units | Event
25 | FAN1   | Fan  | 400.00     | RPM   | 'OK'
26 | FAN2   | Fan  | 4100.00    | RPM   | 'OK'
27 | FAN3   | Fan  | 1300.00    | RPM   | 'OK'
28 | FAN4_1 | Fan  | 4000.00    | RPM   | 'OK'
29 | FAN4_2 | Fan  | N/A        | RPM   | N/A
30 | FAN5_1 | Fan  | N/A        | RPM   | N/A
31 | FAN5_2 | Fan  | N/A        | RPM   | N/A
32 | FAN6_1 | Fan  | N/A        | RPM   | N/A
33 | FAN6_2 | Fan  | N/A        | RPM   | N/A

Fans 4 to 6 have that split, I wonder if that causes some huge difference. Those are 6 pin fan connectors that can be used as 2x3 pin connectors.

Yeah tried that with the same results, well the thing is, this is a brand new board and I dont have any drivers to downloads at the Asrock website:
https://www.asrockrack.com/general/productdetail.asp?Model=X570D4U#Specifications

Never had a BMC board before, is updating the firmware on the BMC wise if not specified by the manufacturer?

root@tower:~# ipmisensors -t fanID | Name   | Type | Reading    | Units | Event25 | FAN1   | Fan  | 400.00     | RPM   | 'OK'26 | FAN2   | Fan  | 4100.00    | RPM   | 'OK'27 | FAN3   | Fan  | 1300.00    | RPM   | 'OK'28 | FAN4_1 | Fan  | 4000.00    | RPM   | 'OK'29 | FAN4_2 | Fan  | N/A        | RPM   | N/A30 | FAN5_1 | Fan  | N/A        | RPM   | N/A31 | FAN5_2 | Fan  | N/A        | RPM   | N/A32 | FAN6_1 | Fan  | N/A        | RPM   | N/A33 | FAN6_2 | Fan  | N/A        | RPM   | N/A

Fans 4 to 6 have that split, I wonder if that causes some huge difference. Those are 6 pin fan connectors that can be used as 2x3 pin connectors.

I usually alway update the bios and bmc if there's an update. I guess if depends on the release notes of it's worth it.
2 minutes ago, dmacias said:
11 minutes ago, cakes044 said:

root@tower:~# ipmisensors -t fanID | Name   | Type | Reading    | Units | Event25 | FAN1   | Fan  | 400.00     | RPM   | 'OK'26 | FAN2   | Fan  | 4100.00    | RPM   | 'OK'27 | FAN3   | Fan  | 1300.00    | RPM   | 'OK'28 | FAN4_1 | Fan  | 4000.00    | RPM   | 'OK'29 | FAN4_2 | Fan  | N/A        | RPM   | N/A30 | FAN5_1 | Fan  | N/A        | RPM   | N/A31 | FAN5_2 | Fan  | N/A        | RPM   | N/A32 | FAN6_1 | Fan  | N/A        | RPM   | N/A33 | FAN6_2 | Fan  | N/A        | RPM   | N/A

I usually alway update the bios and bmc if there's an update. I guess if depends on the release notes of it's worth it.

Yeah I could always update with the 2L2T version of the board: https://www.asrockrack.com/general/productdetail.asp?Model=X570D4U-2L2T#Download

Which AFAIK is identical to my one except the 10GB NIC. Just unsure if there are anythings in the firmware that could brick my board, I'm not too familar with the BMC side of things, I would assume that the firmware is separate to the board.

Yeah I could always update with the 2L2T version of the board: https://www.asrockrack.com/general/productdetail.asp?Model=X570D4U-2L2T#Download

Which AFAIK is identical to my one except the 10GB NIC. Just unsure if there are anythings in the firmware that could brick my board, I'm not too familar with the BMC side of things, I would assume that the firmware is separate to the board.
I wouldn't try anything like that
53 minutes ago, dmacias said:
1 hour ago, cakes044 said:

I wouldn't try anything like that

Yeah not gonna do that and brick my motherboard :)

I think we’re dead in the water without the correct raw commands, hopefully ASrock get back to me soon and I’ll submit a patch/issue to the GitHub plugin page and refer it back here with the update. 

Edited by cakes044
Typos
On 10/13/2020 at 11:58 AM, cakes044 said:

Conversation going with ASRock right now about it, just going back and forth, so will 100% tell you the results in here when its all done. 👍

OKAY Good news! Got back correct command from Asrock. On this specific board, the commands are slightly different and has 16 fan duty options:

Set fan to manual mode:

ipmitool raw 0x3a 0xd8 0x01 0x01 0x01 0x01 0x01 0x01 0x01 0x01 0x01 0x01 0x01 0x01 0x01 0x01 0x01 0x01

Set fan to auto mode:

ipmitool raw 0x3a 0xd8 0x00 0x00 0x00 0x00 0x00 0x00 0x00 0x00 0x00 0x00 0x00 0x00 0x00 0x00 0x00 0x00

Set fan duty to 100 the valid values are 14h to 64h (20% - 100%):

ipmitool raw 0x3a 0xd6 0x64 0x64 0x64 0x64 0x64 0x64 0x64 0x64 0x64 0x64 0x64 0x64 0x64 0x64 0x64 0x64

Tested all of them and does exactly as described 👍

Edited by cakes044
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Okay I hacked around the source code of the fan tools all day and got a working version of it for this board 🎉

Happy to clean it up and submit a patch to the github page. Will have to wait till this weekend though when I have some time just a few different things required for this board.