mounting shares to copy from one machine to the other? (error)

Hi, I am trying to copy from full shares on one server (bigtower) to empty shares on another server (tinytower). Both are running unRAID 6 and when I try to mount (from tinytower) the Audio share that is on big tower on the tmp on the tiny tower using:

mount -t nfs bigtower:/mnt/user/Test /mnt/tmp/

I get the following error

mount.nfs: requested NFS version or transport protocol is not supported

I have NFS turned on on both computers, I turned on export for Test under the NFS option but nada. I tried looking over the "How do I configure NFS mounts?" part of the FAQ but wasn't sure about the rw thing they mentioned (and am not sure if that is even the problem here).

Thoughts?

Thanks, I took a look at the page and tried a variation of the line in the post you referenced but found that I do not have cifs installed, so I looked around and am ashamed to say that its totally unclear how to install it? (it doesn't seem to be a plugin, or docker? I tried apt-get and pacman but no luck). Could you point me in the right direction of how to install it? sorry for the spoon feeding. Thanks.

Thanks, I took a look at the page and tried a variation of the line in the post you referenced but found that I do not have cifs installed, so I looked around and am ashamed to say that its totally unclear how to install it? (it doesn't seem to be a plugin, or docker? I tried apt-get and pacman but no luck). Could you point me in the right direction of how to install it? sorry for the spoon feeding. Thanks.

I don't recall having to install anything to get it to work. This was back on v5. Maybe it was dropped in v6? Google tells me its part of Samba so it should be there.

Just to follow up here... what it is doing is creating a local share that points to the remote server's share name. Then I was doing the file transfers using MC (local share >> remote share). Not sure how far back you went in that older post but try reading back to see what probs I ran into and see if its similar.

This is all I did to mount a V5 NFS share with a V6 test box when I was first setting up V6.

mount 192.168.1.100:/mnt/user/Movies /mnt/disk1/Movies

mount 192.168.1.100:/mnt/user/TV_Shows /mnt/disk1/TV_Shows

mount 192.168.1.100:/mnt/user/Music /mnt/disk1/Music

Of course, you need to use your server IP. I created the 3 directories on disk1 of the V6 box and the mounts made it appear I had local files so I could experiment with Docker applications and get things working right before switching my server to V6.

My NFS shares had no user level security on them so no username or password was necessary.

This is all I did to mount a V5 NFS share with a V6 test box when I was first setting up V6.

mount 192.168.1.100:/mnt/user/Movies /mnt/disk1/Movies

mount 192.168.1.100:/mnt/user/TV_Shows /mnt/disk1/TV_Shows

mount 192.168.1.100:/mnt/user/Music /mnt/disk1/Music

Of course, you need to use your server IP. I created the 3 directories on disk1 of the V6 box and the mounts made it appear I had local files so I could experiment with Docker applications and get things working right before switching my server to V6.

My NFS shares had no user level security on them so no username or password was necessary.

Thanks. I have tried a few variations for NFS, I tried something like what you suggested:

mount 192.168.1.74:/mnt/user/Family/ /mnt/tmp/

and got

mount.nfs: access denied by server while mounting 192.168.1.74:/mnt/user/Family/

I thought it might be because I had a password on the other server but I tried removing the password on 192.168.1.74 and still got that error?

Thoughts?  :-[

I don't recall having to install anything to get it to work. This was back on v5. Maybe it was dropped in v6? Google tells me its part of Samba so it should be there.

ok, so I am a bit futher along now, beyond the "not having cifs error" to "cifs errors" (or some new errors). When I try this:

root@tinytower:/mnt# mount -t cifs //192.168.1.74/mnt/user/Family /mnt/tmp -o [email protected],password=,iocharset=utf8,file_mode=0777,dir_mode=0777

I get this:

Retrying with upper case share name

mount error(6): No such device or address

Refer to the mount.cifs(8) manual page (e.g. man mount.cifs)

the thing is, the share /mnt/user/Family does exist on 192.168.1.74 (i tried pinging 192.168.1.74 from my current 192.168.1.78 and no problem)... so its telling me the device and address don't exist but I am pretty sure they do...?

ok, so I am a bit futher along now, beyond the "not having cifs error" to "cifs errors" (or some new errors). When I try this:

root@tinytower:/mnt# mount -t cifs //192.168.1.74/mnt/user/Family /mnt/tmp -o [email protected],password=,iocharset=utf8,file_mode=0777,dir_mode=0777

I get this:

the thing is, the share /mnt/user/Family does exist on 192.168.1.74 (i tried pinging 192.168.1.74 from my current 192.168.1.78 and no problem)... so its telling me the device and address don't exist but I am pretty sure they do...?

i am reasonably certain that you have got the share name wrong and it should merely be Family.    The /mnt/user part is the internal device level path and not part of the share name.

I get this:

i am reasonably certain that you have got the share name wrong and it should merely be Family.    The /mnt/user part is the internal device level path and not part of the share name.

Ahhhhhhhhhh!!! You nailed it! Damn I love forums (because that didn't even occur to me, I was total sure I was right about the path and was checking everything except that). thank you *very*much*!!