[DOCKER] kodi isengard headless

For all those who are interested in centralised databases containing their libraries with Isengard (and perhaps openelec as this is the distort I use to run Isengard).

In order for your client to connect to the database you MUST select the "Wait for Network" variable in OpenElec Settings (to something like 10s or similar) OR if you are using another distro that doesn't have those settings get them into your kodi.conf.

I just spent hours debugging this sucker! I have been using Openelec for yeeeeeears with Mysql and Kodi/XBMC even longer and never had this issue!

Save yourself time!

Sorry for the short post - but felt like sharing / venting straight away! If anyone wants more details let me know!

grrrr!!!

Should have asked me, I knew that  ;D

For that comment right there - I am pouring myself a scotch!! ;)

kicking him in the manfruit / pouring a scotch, we all have our different ways of coping....

It's a support thread, he only had to ask lol

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For all those who are interested in centralised databases containing their libraries with Isengard (and perhaps openelec as this is the distro I use to run Isengard).

In order for your client to connect to the database you MUST select the "Wait for Network" variable in OpenElec Settings (to something like 10s or similar) OR if you are using another distro that doesn't have those settings get them into your kodi.conf.

I just spent hours debugging this sucker! I have been using Openelec for yeeeeeears with Mysql and Kodi/XBMC even longer and never had this issue!

Save yourself time!

Sorry for the short post - but felt like sharing / venting straight away! If anyone wants more details let me know!

grrrr!!!

SOB!!! Now I realise there is version issue between this Docker and the version of OpenElec [beta] OpenELEC 5.95.2 (x86_64).

Openelec BETA is running Kodi-15.0 Isengard (beta 2) and the two devices both running this use the same database. HOWEVER, the Docker starts up and creates new tables rather than using the existing ones created and used by Openelec.

Sigh. There is clearly a versioning issue with Kodi here. Not sure what version the Docker is using.

Tried now though. This is for later.

For all those who are interested in centralised databases containing their libraries with Isengard (and perhaps openelec as this is the distro I use to run Isengard).

Save yourself time!

grrrr!!!

SOB!!! Now I realise there is version issue between this Docker and the version of OpenElec [beta] OpenELEC 5.95.2 (x86_64).

Openelec BETA is running Kodi-15.0 Isengard (beta 2) and the two devices both running this use the same database. HOWEVER, the Docker starts up and creates new tables rather than using the existing ones created and used by Openelec.

Sigh. There is clearly a versioning issue with Kodi here. Not sure what version the Docker is using.

beta2 is fubar for mysql and kodi-headless at the moment for two reasons..

1. the patch no longer works on beta2

2. there is a kak up with beta2 and mysql anyways...

Save yourself time!

grrrr!!!

beta2 is fubar for mysql and kodi-headless at the moment for two reasons..

1. the patch no longer works on beta2

2. there is a kak up with beta2 and mysql anyways...

Ah. Oh well. At least I'm upgraded and prepared. Thanks for the info though, I swear I get more info on other applications from this forum than I do on their dedicated ones!

I've rolled back to Openelec Beta 1.  Works fine and means I can keep using this plugin.  The way I see it at the moment there are three options.

1.  Roll back to Beta 1 version of Openelec, headless docker continues to work fine.

2.  Upgrade to Openelec Beta 2 and lose headless docker ability

3.  Use the Emby Kodi plugin and shift yor backend setup to Emby instead of Mysql/MariaDB

I inadvertantly did option 2 initially before we realised there was a problem with the latest headless docker and I decided that losing the headless functionality wasn't an option in our house.  My wife is very much used to it all "just working"

Option 3 is a possibility for the future and smakovits has kindly published links to the plugin and I understand it is working well for him, I briefly tried it and got a few issues and due to having a fair bit on at the moment cut my losses and abandoned the idea, although it is something I will look at in the future, especially as I use Emby already for remote access so it would kill two birds with one stone.  The links smakovits posted are here.

http://emby.media/community/index.php?/topic/21888-emby-for-kodi-10-liv/

http://emby.media/community/index.php?/topic/19739-emby-for-kodi-beta/

If they are working, those should be the add-on repos you need.  Youll also need to install the emby server and hurricane has it in his repo for unraid.  Let me know if you need anything else.

One other thing, found the link to my post about Openelec booting before network connectivity, count yourself lucky you only had to change an option in the interface, took me bloody ages to work it out 3 years ago!  ;D

Had to do it manually by adding an autostart.sh file.  See here

From the sound of it, you were using emby before it got good and I did the opposite, getting in when it got good, like beta 0.0.3

If I understand, the old version was MB Server and it required its own app, had very specific skins, etc.

Now, think kodi as kodi.  Think aeon nox, amber, etc skins.  Now, think plex type web interface where you can manage the metadata, media library, etc.  A bunch more, but I'll spare you.  Now, think about kodi with the mysql DB, add config file, media is there.  With emby, you install the plugin and it syncs the db to the local kodi db.  From there everything is kodi as kodi.

I look at the old MB Server like plexbmc, a complete bolt on app that takes you away from the real kodi experience.  With Emby, at least to me, it is exactly the same (super close) to kodi with headless, but with a web interface to manage stuff.  If anything,  it is actually a little easier as headless takes some messing to make work while emby is a released docker container out of the box, no extra messing.

They have stable and beta releases, depending where you want to be.  On the beta side, my experience has been that any issue is often fixed quite quickly.  I have been quite satisfied with it thus far.  Give it a go.

@smakovits

Just a post to say thanks, because of this recommendation I had a look at the Emby/Kodi paired solution and was incredibly impressed.

I am now running Emby-Beta Container from HurricaneHernandez and the Emby for Kodi addon on my OpenElec Isengard Beta 2 HTPC and have removed the need Kodi-Headless and MariaDB Containers. Works great!

Thanks,

The Capt

From the sound of it, you were using emby before it got good and I did the opposite, getting in when it got good, like beta 0.0.3

If I understand, the old version was MB Server and it required its own app, had very specific skins, etc.

Now, think kodi as kodi.  Think aeon nox, amber, etc skins.  Now, think plex type web interface where you can manage the metadata, media library, etc.  A bunch more, but I'll spare you.  Now, think about kodi with the mysql DB, add config file, media is there.  With emby, you install the plugin and it syncs the db to the local kodi db.  From there everything is kodi as kodi.

I look at the old MB Server like plexbmc, a complete bolt on app that takes you away from the real kodi experience.  With Emby, at least to me, it is exactly the same (super close) to kodi with headless, but with a web interface to manage stuff.  If anything,  it is actually a little easier as headless takes some messing to make work while emby is a released docker container out of the box, no extra messing.

They have stable and beta releases, depending where you want to be.  On the beta side, my experience has been that any issue is often fixed quite quickly.  I have been quite satisfied with it thus far.  Give it a go.

@smakovits

Just a post to say thanks, because of this recommendation I had a look at the Emby/Kodi paired solution and was incredibly impressed.

I am now running Emby-Beta Container from HurricaneHernandez and the Emby for Kodi addon on my OpenElec Isengard Beta 2 HTPC and have removed the need Kodi-Headless and MariaDB Containers. Works great!

Thanks,

The Capt

Capt, and based on your post I just watched this:

Woah!!!! This looks excellent! And it works just as advertised????

@smakovits

Thanks,

The Capt

No problem,  glad I could help.  I have been satisfied with it. Plus,  I don't know if it's official or not,  but I think it is,  they added the ability to cache paths so in the even the server is down,  you can still play your media.

it is not better than mysql sharing, it is mysql sharing.

the benefit of running a headless instance on your server are that you don't need to have a player machine to be on for the library to be updated by Couch, sickbeard etc....

eventually at some stage (it's unclear when from kodi forum) headless will be a full copy of kodi with a command line switch to disable the gui.

this isn't that yet, it's a patched version of the source compiled to run without gui (and other libraries to make it smaller)

I was under the impression that uPNP was being updated to be able to replace that sharing and to get rid of the need to monkey with advancedsettings.xml and mysql.

Do you know anything about that?

it is not better than mysql sharing, it is mysql sharing.

the benefit of running a headless instance on your server are that you don't need to have a player machine to be on for the library to be updated by Couch, sickbeard etc....

eventually at some stage (it's unclear when from kodi forum) headless will be a full copy of kodi with a command line switch to disable the gui.

this isn't that yet, it's a patched version of the source compiled to run without gui (and other libraries to make it smaller)

I was under the impression that uPNP was being updated to be able to replace that sharing and to get rid of the need to monkey with advancedsettings.xml and mysql.

Do you know anything about that?

all they say about it is that mysql support will remain until they find an alternative which is better.

hey @sparklyballs

i am trying to run your docker image on a nomal debian install. the problem is i don't know how i am able to edit the advancesettings.xml ...

first i pulled the image using

docker pull sparklyballs/headless-kodi-isengard

and i am able to run it using

docker run sparklyballs/headless-kodi-isengard

but where do i edit the advancedsettings?

thanks in advance (:

hey @sparklyballs

i am trying to run your docker image on a nomal debian install. the problem is i don't know how i am able to edit the advancesettings.xml ...

thanks in advance (:

you need to pass in the variables

MYSQLip

MYSQLport

MYSQLuser

MYSQLpass

from the command line using the format for each

-e MYSQLip=192.168.1.10

hey @sparklyballs

thanks in advance (:

MYSQLip

MYSQLport

MYSQLuser

MYSQLpass

-e MYSQLip=192.168.1.10

okay thanks,

so these are all the settings i am able to use? no advancedsettings.xml ?

hey @sparklyballs

thanks in advance (:

MYSQLip

MYSQLport

MYSQLuser

MYSQLpass

-e MYSQLip=192.168.1.10

okay thanks,

they are the key ones to use and the only ones i've used variables for, you can edit the advancedsettings.xml file for yourself.

map

/opt/kodi-server/share/kodi/portable_data

to your local filesystem with the -v switch like thus...

-v <your-local-folder>:/opt/kodi-server/share/kodi/portable_data

the : is vital

and advancedsettings will be in the userdata folder.

hey @sparklyballs

thanks in advance (:

MYSQLip

MYSQLport

MYSQLuser

MYSQLpass

-e MYSQLip=192.168.1.10

okay thanks,

they are the key ones to use and the only ones i've used variables for, you can edit the advancedsettings.xml file for yourself.

map

/opt/kodi-server/share/kodi/portable_data

to your local filesystem with the -v switch like thus...

-v <your-local-folder>:/opt/kodi-server/share/kodi/portable_data

the : is vital

and advancedsettings will be in the userdata folder.

Okay thank you this works (:

Still the webserver is unreachable but i am looking into this tomorrow. Thaks a lot (:

hey again,

i want to set <esallinterfaces>false</esallinterfaces> to true but its in the do not edit block.

is there a way to do so?

you can edit that particular value, and set it true,

i put the whole <services> block in to the do not edit section rather than separate out individual items that are not editable.

the values you CAN'T change are

<videodatabase>
<type>mysql</type>  
<host></host>  
<port></port>  
<user></user>  
<pass></pass>  
</videodatabase>
<musicdatabase>
<type>mysql</type>  
<host></host>  
<port></port>  
<user></user>  
<pass></pass>  
</musicdatabase>

<esport>9777</esport>
<webserver>true</webserver>
<webserverpassword>xbmc</webserverpassword>
<webserverport>8080</webserverport>
<webserverusername>xbmc</webserverusername>

• 2 weeks later...

Isengard went final within the last 15 minutes or so.

running a test build to see if the patch still works, or whether i have to wait for an updated patch.

Sparkly I had a thought.  I might be the only one using the "feature" but I added a mapping for a UDP port 9777 to the ES service.  It means I can add your headless container to Yatse and use my Android device to trigger a manual update if I need to.

Worth adding to the template or too fringe a use case?