My array got a lot slower

I am sorry for the poor report. Attached you can find my syslog.

@ysss: I am accessing my array using AFP, which is slow in general. But very recently it got that much slower that the Mac OSX Finder crashes listing folder with a lot of files and VLC is unable to play any videos.

I just found out that the memory is full. I tried using top to find out what uses a lot of memory but without success. Any idea how to do this?

syslog.txt.zip

Probably unrelated, but your syslog has this:

May  9 13:23:05 Tower kernel: FAT-fs (sdg1): Volume was not properly unmounted. Some data may be corrupt. Please run fsck.

Put your flash in your PC and let it checkdisk. I think on apple it uses something called Disk Utility.

As for your speed, possibly your network connection has degraded to 100mb. From unRAID command line, what do you get with

ethtool eth0

?

What do you mean memory is full? Linux will normally use up any free memory for i/o buffers. It is not unusual for memory to be full. See Linux Ate My RAM

The syslog shows that there is definitely some sort of corruption/failure on the USB stick so follow the suggestions for fixing this.   

If it cannot be fixed then the other possibility is that the USB stick is failing and you will need to follow the procedure for getting a new USB stick and contacting LimeTech to get your license transferred to it.

@trurl: Here is the result of

ethtool eth0

:

Settings for eth0:

Supported ports: [ TP ]

Supported link modes:  10baseT/Half 10baseT/Full

100baseT/Half 100baseT/Full

1000baseT/Full

Supports auto-negotiation: Yes

Advertised link modes:  10baseT/Half 10baseT/Full

1000baseT/Full

Advertised pause frame use: Symmetric Receive-only

Advertised auto-negotiation: Yes

Speed: 100Mb/s

Duplex: Full

Port: Twisted Pair

PHYAD: 0

Transceiver: internal

Auto-negotiation: on

MDI-X: Unknown

Supports Wake-on: pumbg

Wake-on: g

Current message level: 0x00000033 (51)

Link detected: yes

omg, you were right about the ram. everything's fine.

I' ll try to repair the memory stick an get back to you. Thanks!

I am still getting this one ofter repair:

May 12 01:33:00 Tower kernel: FAT-fs (sdg1): Volume was not properly unmounted. Some data may be corrupt. Please run fsck.

Is my USB drive broken?

How did my network connection get degarded to 100MB/s?

I am still getting this one ofter repair:

May 12 01:33:00 Tower kernel: FAT-fs (sdg1): Volume was not properly unmounted. Some data may be corrupt. Please run fsck.

Is my USB drive broken?

How did my network connection get degarded to 100MB/s?

Not sure about your USB drive. I have seen that in the log when there was nothing wrong. Your previous log did have a lot of other things in it about your USB drive. Maybe post a new log and we can see if it is still throwing errors.

GB ethernet can be very sensitive to cable and plug problems. The first thing I would try is unplugging and replugging the cable at both ends.

Now my network is back up at 1GB. I guess a cable was the problem:

Settings for eth0:
Supported ports: [ TP ]
Supported link modes:   10baseT/Half 10baseT/Full 
                        1000baseT/Full 
Supports auto-negotiation: Yes
Advertised link modes:  10baseT/Half 10baseT/Full 
                        1000baseT/Full 
Advertised pause frame use: Symmetric Receive-only
Advertised auto-negotiation: Yes
Speed: 1000Mb/s
Duplex: Full
Port: Twisted Pair
PHYAD: 0
Transceiver: internal
Auto-negotiation: on
MDI-X: Unknown
Supports Wake-on: pumbg
Wake-on: g
Current message level: 0x00000033 (51)
Link detected: yes

But I am still facing the same problem. I am unable to play a 1080p mp4. I attached a new syslog.

syslog2.txt.zip

But I am still facing the same problem. I am unable to play a 1080p mp4. I attached a new syslog.

That syslog seems to be one taken just after a reboot - I assume it does not cover you trying to play a mp4?

When you say you cannot play a mp4 are you talking about a specific mp4 file, or any mp4 file?    If it is any mp4 file then I would think the problem was at the player end, not the unRAID one.

No, this syslog includes trying to view several mp4s.

I am trying to access my array from my Mac. I am used to very slow directory listings as a lot of people using AFP with unRAID. But since a few weeks the directory listing got so slow that Finder crashes and VLC is unable to play 1080p files. I doubt that the issue is with Finder or VLC...

How do I enable safe mode? I couldn't find anything about it...

It is one of the options on the unRAID boot menu.

If you have a monitor+keyboard on your unRAID system then you can select it when booting the system.

If you run your unRAID system headless, then you can edit the file syslinux/syslinux.cfg that controls the boot menu on the USB drive and move the 'default' entry to the section for Safe boot.  If you then reboot the server you will be in Safe mode.

Few things to try...

1. Have you tried copying said 1080p movie from one unraid disk to another? mc (midnight commander) can show the copy speed.

2. Have you tried a different protocol? Samba? Does it exhibit the same problems?

3. What kind of switch do you have? Tried switching ports? If it's manageable, check the log on the switch?

4. Do you have other computers to test with? Does the problem show up on all clients?

• 3 weeks later...

Sorry to reply that late... I didn't have time to look into this issue further.

Yes, I am running unRAID headless. I don't understand where I should move 'default'. Here is what my syslinux.cfg looks like:

default menu.c32
menu title Lime Technology LLC
prompt 0
timeout 50
label unRAID OS
  menu default
  kernel bzimage
  append initrd=bzroot
label Memtest86+
  kernel memtest

Sorry to reply that late... I didn't have time to look into this issue further.

Yes, I am running unRAID headless. I don't understand where I should move 'default'. Here is what my syslinux.cfg looks like:

default menu.c32
menu title Lime Technology LLC
prompt 0
timeout 50
label unRAID OS
  menu default
  kernel bzimage
  append initrd=bzroot
label Memtest86+
  kernel memtest

This is not a current or complete syslinux.cfg. Get the one from the latest download.
  • 3 weeks later...