Failed Drives

So I woke up this morning, and two of the ST8000VN04 drives had dropped from the array with read errors.  They are both brand new drives from Seagate.  

I'm convinced is the issue with the ERC and low voltage spin up, so I followed the above instructions.  We will see if they, or any of the other VN04 drives drop out of the array again.

Update: the updated firmware on the 9211-8i definitely helped.  However, i did receive a couple new ST8000NV04 drives, and just stuck them in the array, without disabling EPC or Low Voltage Spin Up.  They dropped from the array almost instantly. Once I used the seagate tools and disabled the features, they have been just fine.  I'm looking forward to whatever the fix may be for the seagate drives.

awesome.  i'll start the RMA process again, for a brand new drive.  Starting to really not like Seagate.

Separately, on a good note, I changed the spin-up of all of the ST8000VN004 drives to never spin down, and none of them have dropped from the array.    The drop/error has something to do with the spin-up, but I'm not technically advanced enough to understand the mechanics behind it.

I need the advice what to do with this drive.

Model/ID: ST6000DM003-2CY186_ZR10CJF8. I don't remember when exactly I got it, but should be no older than 2 years, used very moderately.

This was a data drive in a newly created array (4x 6TB, with 1 parity), all attached through the "Serial Attached SCSI controller: Broadcom / LSI SAS2308 PCI-Express Fusion-MPT SAS-2 (rev 05)." (as listed in devices) During the initial parity build it reported a huge number of errors. I assumed it was due to a loose SATA cable, checked/tightened all cables carefully. Upon trying to write to this drive's share, Unraid disabled it. I recreated the array, checked cables again - still the same result, the drive is being disabled after any write attempt. Quick SMART test gives no errors. SMART is attached.

I removed the drive from the array for now. What should I do next? Should I just trash it or what?

ST6000DM003-2CY186_ZR10CJF8-20210427-1218.txt

2 hours ago, temkins said:

recreated the array, checked cables again - still the same result, the drive is being disabled after any write attempt

You should post complete Diagnostics before rebooting when this happens so we can see what is causing this. Connection problems are more likely than disk problems.

8 hours ago, trurl said:

You should post complete Diagnostics before rebooting when this happens so we can see what is causing this. Connection problems are more likely than disk problems.

Well, I just tried. I created a share which should use the questionable drive exclusively and tried to write a file to it, Right after that i got Unraid crashed - here is a screenshot of the kernel panic. I have no idea what's happening, the unraid setup is quite mint, I had just 2 dockers running at the moment (Heimdall and Cloudflaredydns).

shot1.jpg

• 7 months later...

Brand: Seagate IronWolf

Model: ST4000VN008-2DR166

Approximate age at failure: 0.5 years

Drive in warranty: Yes

Drive just dropped offline without signs and unable to redrive smart report then. This report was generated after i had the disk removed, rebuild my array with another drive and reconnected the bad drive again into the server as an unassigned drive in order to get the report. 

Is my drive dead? Need some advise what to do with the drive. Can i continue to use it or should i just replace it?

unraidhserver-smart-20211222-0941.zip