Docker torrent question

Hi,

Do you know some torrent app that allow the following scenario?

I want to download torrent to /mnt/user0/movies/movieRandom (year)

I add torrent settting this path.

Torrent client automatically start download on /mnt/cache/incompleteTorrents

When torrent client finish, automatically move data torrent to the path I was set when adding the torrent. (/mnt/user0/movies/movieRandom (year)

After move the file, Torrent client put the torrent in seeding state.

Why I want this?

Because when you download directly to /mnt/user0 all drives inclusive parity drive is spining UP, If the torrent is downloading directly to  cacheDrive only cacheDrive is runing.

After download the files will move to array.

If I try to download to /mnt/user (System use cache, but if torrent is seeding(even if torrent is at 0kb/s(no client connected) "The Mover" can't move files because rtorrent have the files opened

Thanks

Hi,

Do you know some torrent app that allow the following scenario?

I want to download torrent to /mnt/user0/movies/movieRandom (year)

I add torrent settting this path.

Torrent client automatically start download on /mnt/cache/incompleteTorrents

When torrent client finish, automatically move data torrent to the path I was set when adding the torrent. (/mnt/user0/movies/movieRandom (year)

After move the file, Torrent client put the torrent in seeding state.

Why I want this?

Because when you download directly to /mnt/user0 all drives inclusive parity drive is spining UP, If the torrent is downloading directly to  cacheDrive only cacheDrive is runing.

After download the files will move to array.

If I try to download to /mnt/user (System use cache, but if torrent is seeding(even if torrent is at 0kb/s(no client connected) "The Mover" can't move files because rtorrent have the files opened

Thanks

Actually, all drives and parity don't spin to write to the array, only parity and the disk to be written spin up1. This is because only the change to parity needs to be calculated, and that can be completely determined by the change to the disk to be written.

I have not actually tried to do what you are saying, but it seems like most torrent clients should be able to do this. I use transmission and I know I can set different paths for incomplete and complete torrents. Have you tried it with your torrent client? Or are you having some problem getting your docker configured to map a volume that has user0 in it?

1except see here for md_write_method for a way to make all disks be read to calculate parity.

Hi Thanks for this fast answer.

I can see that when I'm writing a file in a only 1 drive. All drives are spining up.

How Can I get the value of md_write_method?

About Path, The only client I See this options is deluge but in webui, you need to set path as string /path/to/download.. but it's bad because you need to know exactly the path, and it's more interesting a system that you can see the directories to select where you want to download(rutorrent, but don't have incomplete directory option), you know?

Sorry for my bad english.

Hi Thanks for this fast answer.

I can see that when I'm writing a file in a only 1 drive. All drives are spining up.

How Can I get the value of md_write_method?

Did you look at the link I already provided about md_write_method?

About Path, The only client I See this options is deluge but in webui, you need to set path as string /path/to/download.. but it's bad because you need to know exactly the path, and it's more interesting a system that you can see the directories to select where you want to download(rutorrent, but don't have incomplete directory option), you know?

Sorry for my bad english.

Not really understanding your problem. Seems like you should be to map all of /mnt to your container if you can't figure out something better and you would be able to see both user0 and cache.

Maybe posting some screenshots would help.

The principal problem is that if you have downloaded torrent while it's in seeding state, "the mover" can't move nothing to array, and all torrent's data is on cache.

The solution for this is to use /mnt/user0 instead of /mnt/user

/mnt/user0 (array without cache drive)

but the problem for me when I download torrents to user0 is that all drives are spining until torrent finish.

The solution for this would be to have a torrent client that had the hability to download to a temporal directory and, after that, to move the downloaded torrent to the path you have set previously when you have added the torrent (deluge).

But deluge don't have any graphical directory browser like rutorrent (it  doesn't have temporal directory download option)

two pics of rutorrent and deluge

Deluge: https://cloud.segator.es/share/ID_7d88a05aea58df2ea81f4ccd1ff4d252

rutorrent: https://cloud.segator.es/share/ID_97c83d4d468bfe1bb273ce43db44a17a

I think it is very unlikely that you have md_write_method set wrong, I regret mentioning it. The only way torrents should keep all drives spinning is if you have torrents on all drives. Maybe that is your problem.

I totally understand what /mnt/user0 is, and I think I understand what you want to do. You want to download incomplete torrents to cache, and have the torrent client move completed downloads immediately to the array.

I don't use either of these torrent clients. The deluge screenshot seems like it would do what you want though, since it has a place to download to, which could be on cache, and a place to move completed to, which could be in user0.

I use transmission, and I seed torrents for weeks at a time. Only one drive spins while I am seeding because the user share I have completed torrents on does not use cache and is only on one array drive.

If you are going to seed completed torrents and you have told your torrent client to move those completed torrents to user shares that are on many drives, then of course you will have many drives spinning.

Maybe I don't understand.

you're right

For me the perfect scenario will be deluge but with file browser.

You know if Transmission have the same problem with "The mover"  that have deluge & rutorrent?

I think in general mover will not move an open file. I have not really tested whether transmission keeps seeding torrents open all the time or not. I have transmission put completed torrents on a share that doesn't use cache.