ISCSI Support

5 hours ago, SimonF said:

With the way you have it set at present the file will be moved to the array if it is not inuse if on the cache drive. If already on the array nothing will change.

Do you want the img to be on the cache and run from the cache or do you want it to run from the array.  You cannot cache writes to the img.

Think of it more like a vdisk you would assign to an VM, its a single file.

First of all thanks for your support.

I tried, the iscsi feature in other systems(truenas), as well as FileIO. The data write into the FileIO was cached in system RAM to increse the data trasnfer speed, and than copied to FiloIO inside the disks.

Since Unraid has a cache pool, my question was if is possible to do the same proces: data write to cache pool(instead of RAM) and then moved to FileIO.

thanks

@gigo90No, Thats not the way cache works in Unraid. The cache is a storage pool where either you have your vm images, or if you specify Yes as the cache option for a share it will move it to the array when the mover runs on a schedule. So its more of a staging area to allow fast uploads to the server.

It will still use the ram before writing to either the array or a pool, you can have multiple pools now on 6.9.

You can store you FileIO image on the cache.

My cache pool is 5 SSDs BTRFS total 2.4Tb where I store VM images.

image.png.d5bf2404177099e65821a9b9b934a66c.png

Edited by SimonF

See 6.9.1 is out, any specific considerations/concerns about doing an upgrade with the great iSCSI work you guys have done?  Just want to make sure I don't blow it up, obviously spin down the VMs and I'll need a reboot, just want to make sure I'm not going to lose the LUNs or iSCSI configuration.

BTW, in case anyone is keeping track, running perfectly now for ~2 weeks.  Not a hiccup.  vMotion works great, and I recently moved everything to 10G, it's rocket fast coming off the NVME in my UnRAID server to the VMware hosts via iSCSI.  Works fantastic!  Thank you again for the great work on this!

• Like 1
14 hours ago, ich777 said:

Just upgrade and the iSCSI Plugin will update itself on the start of the server.

Upgrade to 6.9.1 went without a hitch.  I was living dangerously and left a server up on the ESX host to see what would happen during the reboot.  Froze when UnRAID went down (as expected) and then recovered gracefully as soon as it came back.  No loss of state, no reboot on the server, just a freeze and recovery, exactly what VMware should do when it "loses" a LUN.  Very nice!

• Like 2
  • 4 weeks later...

Well, something went wrong last night and I'm trying to figure out what it is.  UnRAID went down hard; just froze. I didn't see the console, I just kicked off a reboot and I see a lot of these messages in syslog.  Not sure if this has anything to do with iSCSI or not?  I've never had UnRAID crash before, so I may be making an association that doesn't exist, I've added a lot to this server, NVME, unassigned devices, a 10Gb NIC.. No way can I point at iSCSI, but since this thread is already rolling, figured I'd start here and see if this might be a place to look:

Apr 8 08:41:33 unraid kernel: WRITE_SAME sectors: 2048 exceeds max_write_same_len: 1025

3 hours ago, Overtaxed said:

Apr 8 08:41:33 unraid kernel: WRITE_SAME sectors: 2048 exceeds max_write_same_len: 1025

That looks like that it's related to iSCSI but I don't have to be...

Was a client online and connected to an iSCSI Target on the server?

Is this a FileIO Block device or a real disk?

• 6 months later...

I have setup Iscsi on a synology NAS yesterday and I love the idea, but the problem is that synology Nas is meant to backup my Unraid server I do not want to use iscsi on it since it shrinks my backup pool, I tried to get it to work yesterday on unraid but I couldn't, I created a File IO img file of 4tb and saved it an a share called iscsi but other than that no progress on how to get it work, also the devices tab is confusing since I don't have any available disks in my pool dose that mean I have to assign disks only to get it to work?, so I would like to use it in a share, can you please advise on a brief guide on how to set it up?.

Please advise.

Thank you,

6 hours ago, Shandidy said:
I have setup Iscsi on a synology NAS yesterday and I love the idea, but the problem is that synology Nas is meant to backup my Unraid server I do not want to use iscsi on it since it shrinks my backup pool, I tried to get it to work yesterday on unraid but I couldn't, I created a File IO img file of 4tb and saved it an a share called iscsi but other than that no progress on how to get it work, also the devices tab is confusing since I don't have any available disks in my pool dose that mean I have to assign disks only to get it to work?, so I would like to use it in a share, can you please advise on a brief guide on how to set it up?.

Please advise.
Thank you,

How large is the disk that you want to set it up?
What exactly did you type in?
I think the input field only allows Gigabyte.
No, it doesn't have to be a real disk.

Sent from my C64

7 hours ago, Shandidy said:

Please advise.

Thank you,

Hi, it may be worth posting on the support thread. Device page is only for mapping a physical device, but you still need to define the mappings on the initiator page.

image.thumb.png.d7282c64f57410b9f2c6bdca05bf7339.png